1st Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roadiewill

Joe24 said:
What, how do you ride Roadiewill? No spokes broken in 5072miles. No problem with the wheels, and i've been down alot of bad roads.
Nice bike Young Un, shame about the tripple;)

FAST.

Seriously though, when I broke my 2nd spoke on the alex wheels I took it to the LBS who is a giant dealer and he said that several people had come back and complained about the spokes breaking on the scr range. So the guy said he informed giant and they notified the problem with he wheels - so it is common. I decided to upgrade my back wheel to a bombproof shimano one, but wont bother changing the front one until it breaks.

5070 miles joe! You havent had that bike that long have you?

Tynan

Veteran
the saddle does look low doesn't it?

seeing as the wheel snobs are in the house ...

Mavic Open Pros? (hand built)

and if there're only ok or worse what's the next grade up for commuting on London roads?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
roadiewill said:
FAST.

Seriously though, when I broke my 2nd spoke on the alex wheels I took it to the LBS who is a giant dealer and he said that several people had come back and complained about the spokes breaking on the scr range. So the guy said he informed giant and they notified the problem with he wheels - so it is common. I decided to upgrade my back wheel to a bombproof shimano one, but wont bother changing the front one until it breaks.

5070 miles joe! You havent had that bike that long have you?

No, got it end of December, just before xmas. Take 171miles away from 5070 and you have what i've done this year, plus the miles i've done since then.
The rims are what i want to change, but for now they arent bad. I've hit a few deep potholes aswell when chainganging and the person infront didnt point it out:angry:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
You've probably read elsewhewre that my Kendas holed as though they were made of cheese, and the rear Alex DA wheel on my 2008 SCR2 began breaking spokes as fast as I could replace them. Halfords agreed to have the wheel rebuilt, and I bought a set of Aksiums from Velo Ecosse so I could carry on riding when the wheel was away. They really did make it feel like riding a completely different bike ! I never believed what I'd read on here about better wheels making a huge difference until I experienced it for myself.

In the end, Halfords lost my wheel and only admitted the fact after stopping responding to my phone calls and emails after two and a half months and work getting their Bike2Work HR rep involved. They promised a new wheel from the suppliers, who they'd asked to de-stress and re-tension all of the spokes in case the new one broke just like the old one. However, I don't think they did any such thing but since it's now going to be a spare I'm not going to find out any time soon !!

If your wheels hold out without any spokes going, then stick with them, Otherwise, start saving up for some new ones and I guarantee they'll be worth it.

Despite all of the little problems I've had with my SCR2, I really like it and it's a great bike to ride. My first roadie, but I'm glad I went for it !

Top Bottom