1st Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Welcome @tom73. Being an old git, I bought my first road bike aged about 54, and I found the riding position pretty uncomfortable compared to that of a straight bar bike. I really didn't know what level of comfort (or torture) to expect. Fortunately the bike came with a stem that could be varied with angles between plus 15 degrees to minus 15 degrees (I think), by a cunning shim system. It was a 110mm stem BTW. Anyway, I quickly came to the conclusion that a 110mm stem felt way too stretched out, and a changed it for a 90mm, plus or minus 8 degree stem. That felt a lot better. As I got more used to the riding position over a period of months, I changed back to the 110mm stem, and gradually found that I liked lower and lower angles for the stem. I'm a pretty hopeless cyclist, certainly no athlete, and I found that it's probably a good idea to experiment with stems and bike geometry. There really is no universally perfect set up. All that matters is that you find one that suits you and your type of riding.

Have fun.

Edit: BTW, the bike was a Specialized Secteur which had a very relaxed geometry anyway. I've never been a bum in the air superman.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Or at least bolt it onto a trainer as a compromise.

good idea

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Oh man i'm gutted just had a look with view to order one and over night they have up'd the price by £100.

Now need a bit of a rethink

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh man i'm gutted just had a look with view to order one and over night they have up'd the price by £100.

Now need a bit of a rethink
Speak to the guy you saw the other day and ask if they can honour the price

vickster

Legendary Member
up to 850 a little more if its worth it
Have you looked at Paul’s cycles for deals?

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p0/Road-Bikes/Racing-Road-Racing

Also, Dolan, Ribble, Merlin etc offer well priced carbon bikes

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
ive found this one on offer a over budget but if its right my go for it.

Cannondale Synapse Carbon Tiagra 2018 Road Bike

What's the view on this as a bike?

vickster

Legendary Member
ive found this one on offer a over budget but if its right my go for it.

Cannondale Synapse Carbon Tiagra 2018 Road Bike

What's the view on this as a bike?
Can you go try it out? Good popular bikes, quite a relaxed ride

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
@vickster well yes its on offer at a bike shop about 20 mins down the motorway. So have to and check it out.

Just the Tiagra gears that i wonder about. I know they are not the best can't afford to upgrade just yet. As i will need a few bits to go with the bike.
Some say breaks are not that hot either.

How much of a difference is 11 gears to this one with 10?

For £899 it looks a good buy to a newbie should be fine to get going , feel happy to use and option to upgrade later.

Top Bottom