1st Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
@vickster well yes its on offer at a bike shop about 20 mins down the motorway. So have to and check it out.

Just the Tiagra gears that i wonder about. I know they are not the best can't afford to upgrade just yet. As i will need a few bits to go with the bike.
Some say breaks are not that hot either.

How much of a difference is 11 gears to this one with 10?

For £899 it looks a good buy to a newbie should be fine to get going , feel happy to use and option to upgrade later.
No difference. 4700 Tiagra is a very good groupset. What's the gearing on it? That's more important than the numb of gears

A set of 105 brakes shouldn't be too expensive, keep an eye on the classifieds, they come up pretty often (indeed some Ultegra ones just sold for around £25)

Better brake pads may help, not an expensive 'upgrade'

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Hi biggs682 Will take a look on line as i don't know that one.

see this http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/road-bikes/viner-maxima-rs40

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Right off to look at and get a feel for the Cannondale Synapse Carbon Tiagra 2018 Road Bike

It may not be perfect set up but can work on that if it feel right and i like it it maybe the one for me.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Well that went well The guy did not know what stock they had in. So had to find it on the website on my iPhone. They think its around still in its box. Then only one i was able to try was one like it but only got to sit on it the guy did not even put any pedals on it.

So all in all waste of time though have to say from what time i was on the bike it did not feel right for me.

So it's back to the drawing broad.

I think I would initially buy something reasonable priced used, and ride on that for a while, it may not be perfect, but you will learn what’s important to you, and it will possibly be much better than what you think you need, and you may find it either not worth paying more, or paying much more is the better solution,

Of course if it must be new, that’s good also.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Did you not call in advance?!

number of size frames are on the website to buy so they have them in calling in advance i think will have made little difference they seam to have a bi of an odd set up anyway. Reviews for the shop are all good so i thought it was ok to call in. But take your point.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
I think I would initially buy something reasonable priced used, and ride on that for a while, it may not be perfect, but you will learn what’s important to you, and it will possibly be much better than what you think you need, and you may find it either not worth paying more, or paying much more is the better solution,

Of course if it must be new, that’s good also.

Yes thats a good idea and i have thought of seeing what is about that will give me something I can be happy with and improve later. Its just finding one thats local and in my size. Had a quick look and nothing at the moment but will have another go.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Yes thats a good idea and i have thought of seeing what is about that will give me something I can be happy with and improve later. Its just finding one thats local and in my size. Had a quick look and nothing at the moment but will have another go.

where are you based ?

vickster

Legendary Member
number of size frames are on the website to buy so they have them in calling in advance i think will have made little difference they seam to have a bi of an odd set up anyway. Reviews for the shop are all good so i thought it was ok to call in. But take your point.
They will never have every size built and ready to roll. When you order a bike, unless ex display they’ll always need a few days minimum to build

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
They will never have every size built and ready to roll. When you order a bike, unless ex display they’ll always need a few days minimum to build

Yes understand that what got me was they seam to not know they had any of that model in the shop. Only when i showed them the webpage did they go and have a look round. The whole set up was just a total joke.

Top Bottom