1x11 road bike set-up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
has anyone bit the bullet and tried the force cx1 or rival 1 systems from sram yet

I toyed with it a little bit with a 1x10 flatbar set up and enjoyed its ease of use. But im thinking of using the new c2w component purchase ability to add a 1x11 set up on the Ti drop bar and wanted to see if anyone has some real world feedback on the setup before hitting the button

vickster

Legendary Member
@benb was looking at them I think? Maybe search for his posts?

There is a grouptest of Sram 1X11 bikes in this months Cycling+;must admit I'd be tempted by the Sram 1X11 if I was buying a new commuter.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I bought a Planet X London Road with the Rival 1 groupset.
I love it. In terms of doing the job it's supposed to, it's the best bike I have bought.
The 1x11 gearing is perfect for commuting, and the hydraulic disc brakes are fantastic.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

There is a grouptest of Sram 1X11 bikes in this months Cycling+;must admit I'd be tempted by the Sram 1X11 if I was buying a new commuter.
Thats not real world feedback though. I know sram do them, im asking if anyone has bought it and used it.

But thanks for the input

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Benb has as posted above you
Yeh ive read that one vic

Thanks @benb

mark st1

Plastic Manc
has anyone bit the bullet and tried the force cx1 or rival 1 systems from sram yet

I toyed with it a little bit with a 1x10 flatbar set up and enjoyed its ease of use. But im thinking of using the new c2w component purchase ability to add a 1x11 set up on the Ti drop bar and wanted to see if anyone has some real world feedback on the setup before hitting the button

@Mr Haematocrit formerly otp has got the Force 1x11 speed on an S Works Crux that he uses for commuting he rated it a lot good shifting impressive range even though his commute isn't the hilliest. Hasn't had any problems so far and he was strictly a Shimano only boy. Liked the no trimming on the front end not surprising as Di2 does that anyway the lazy bugger lol. I havent used it myself so in only going on what he said. If it was shoot though he would have said. HUGE cassette looked funny to me bigger than the brake disc and all that but something I could live with I'm sure. Next time I see him I will ask him some more info.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

@Mr Haematocrit formerly otp has got the Force 1x11 speed on an S Works Crux that he uses for commuting he rated it a lot good shifting impressive range even though his commute isn't the hilliest. Hasn't had any problems so far and he was strictly a Shimano only boy. Liked the no trimming on the front end not surprising as Di2 does that anyway the lazy bugger lol. I havent used it myself so in only going on what he said. If it was shoot though he would have said. HUGE cassette looked funny to me bigger than the brake disc and all that but something I could live with I'm sure. Next time I see him I will ask him some more info.
Yes good old mr h.....i do miss his input on this type of thread. Shame he left

I have a shimano 1x11 on my Canyon Inflite. Standard Sora road crank with just a 38T wide narrow ring fitted. Sram 11-36 on the rear with medium cage 105 mech. Not Sram, but just saying there is an alternative.

Attachments

• inflite reduced in size.jpg
    inflite reduced in size.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 199
U

User33236

Not a roadbike per se but I have SRAM 1x11 on a flatbar bike with 44t front ring and 10-42 on the back as this matched fairly closely the gear inch range on 50-34 with 11-28 on my other bikes.

As you say the simpler setup is nice. Only got it earlier this year but after 1500km or so riding it the only slight niggle I have is that very occasionally I could be doing with a gear halfway between the two I have to choose from.

A different, possibly narrow band, cassette may help but I would need to compromise on speed or climbing.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

I have a shimano 1x11 on my Canyon Inflite. Standard Sora road crank with just a 38T wide narrow ring fitted. Sram 11-36 on the rear with medium cage 105 mech. Not Sram, but just saying there is an alternative.
Souns like an option too

Is it 10 or 11 speed??

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If using it on the road, the only thing that would really bug me are the jumps between the cassette. My 3 x 7 MTB annoys me when on the flat (off road) and you have a jump, and my cassette is evenly spaced with a 28T max.

If you are commuting though, a closer range cassette would be advisable, but if you are using the 1x11 to cover a similar range to 2x11, then you might be scrabbling for gears on the road - not such an issue off road.

It's just a personal bug bear for me, I like close range cassettes. One of the reasons when I get a new MTB, I'd like a 2x setup, but they are getting rare.

Top Bottom