1x11 road bike set-up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Souns like an option too

Is it 10 or 11 speed??

Looks like an 11 speed set-up.

I run 105 cranks, with a 44t narrow wide chainring, 105 rear mech and an 11-25 cassette. 10 speed though. This is on my commute bike and I don't need a huge range. I find myself in the 12, 13, 14 15 and 17 sprockets for 90% + of my flattish commute. When I get a new cassette, I'll go 11-23 for the 16t.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Looks like an 11 speed set-up.

I run 105 cranks, with a 44t narrow wide chainring, 105 rear mech and an 11-25 cassette. 10 speed though. This is on my commute bike and I don't need a huge range. I find myself in the 12, 13, 14 15 and 17 sprockets for 90% + of my flattish commute. When I get a new cassette, I'll go 11-23 for the 16t.
I wish my commute home was that flat.......14miles and 1300ft

philtalksbx

Über Member
I've had a 1980 Raleigh that has seen lots of experiments. Current setup is with a 9sp Tiagra rear and a 42t (I think) crank left over from a previous single speed foray. It's a bit short of top speed but around town it is light, simple and great to ride. Never lost a chain. Steps in the gearing aren't a problem as it is the same cassette you would use on a compact setup. The only challenge is gear range as you can't have it all. My part of west London is mostly flat so I'm not spinning out on long descents or grinding up big hills. Strongly recommend a 1x setup but you have to match it to your terrain.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

I've had a 1980 Raleigh that has seen lots of experiments. Current setup is with a 9sp Tiagra rear and a 42t (I think) crank left over from a previous single speed foray. It's a bit short of top speed but around town it is light, simple and great to ride. Never lost a chain. Steps in the gearing aren't a problem as it is the same cassette you would use on a compact setup. The only challenge is gear range as you can't have it all. My part of west London is mostly flat so I'm not spinning out on long descents or grinding up big hills. Strongly recommend a 1x setup but you have to match it to your terrain.
Thats what im looking at the moment........i think a 39t upfront and 11-30 would be suffice for my ingoing and home coming commute. Then i can also add cx tyres for the winter fooray onto the muddy, gravelly towpaths and still be ok.

philtalksbx

Über Member
Exactly what I had planned for the Raleigh but it is a lightweight Veloce and has b*****r all tyre clearance, max 25s. So I kept it for local running around and sneaked out one day to get a PlanetX London Road. That has SRAM Rival 22 btw, got used to it after a while, v robust but a bit clunky compared to past Shimano and especially the Campy on my best road bike. The PX is my go-to commuter and all purpose bike and does a cracking job. If they now do a 1x11 with hydraulic brakes I can imagine it being a very good package.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Exactly what I had planned for the Raleigh but it is a lightweight Veloce and has b*****r all tyre clearance, max 25s. So I kept it for local running around and sneaked out one day to get a PlanetX London Road. That has SRAM Rival 22 btw, got used to it after a while, v robust but a bit clunky compared to past Shimano and especially the Campy on my best road bike. The PX is my go-to commuter and all purpose bike and does a cracking job. If they now do a 1x11 with hydraulic brakes I can imagine it being a very good package.
Sram 1x11 hydraulic is what im looking at......

philtalksbx

Über Member
Well I recommend the PX. Done about 2k miles so far, 35mm tyres soak up suburban potholes, canal towpaths and the odd bit of trail. Mudguards fit fine for winter and it's surprisingly quick.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Well I recommend the PX. Done about 2k miles so far, 35mm tyres soak up suburban potholes, canal towpaths and the odd bit of trail. Mudguards fit fine for winter and it's surprisingly quick.
im not buying a new bike - i have a ti at the moment which is running sram force 22, which will be transfered to the carbon, freeing up the Ti frame for the 1x11

benb

Evidence based cyclist

I can confirm it is very good.

park1

Been looking at this too, but it seems hard to find bigger narrow wide chainring, ie over 44t. Sram do them but they are pricey. For me a 46t or 48t with an 11-32 or 11-36 would be perfect.

1 x 11 seems a top option for commuting where rides are normally sub 1hr.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Been looking at this too, but it seems hard to find bigger narrow wide chainring, ie over 44t. Sram do them but they are pricey. For me a 46t or 48t with an 11-32 or 11-36 would be perfect.

1 x 11 seems a top option for commuting where rides are normally sub 1hr.
And for racing round the tracks and trails in winter

phil120867

Über Member
Can anyone help. I have a Planet X cyclocross bike with rival 22. The left gear lever has bust twice now,( hydraulic brake still great). And my old rear mech bent beyond repair. i’ve Ordered a long cage rival 1 rear mech with clutch, I hope the remaining rival 2 lever will,operate it? I’ve gone 46t oval on the front and want to use a 11-42 cassette to give me a decent range of gears for a 1 x 11. Will the rival 22 right hand lever have enough pull to get up to a 42T rear with the long cage mech?

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can anyone help. I have a Planet X cyclocross bike with rival 22. The left gear lever has bust twice now,( hydraulic brake still great). And my old rear mech bent beyond repair. i’ve Ordered a long cage rival 1 rear mech with clutch, I hope the remaining rival 2 lever will,operate it? I’ve gone 46t oval on the front and want to use a 11-42 cassette to give me a decent range of gears for a 1 x 11. Will the rival 22 right hand lever have enough pull to get up to a 42T rear with the long cage mech?
Yes.....

Top Bottom