2 f*ckwits in 15 minutes. Must be "idiot on the road" day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Finglands aren't good.

Rob3rt - the option when pulling round busses is to accellerate hard and go past, even if they pull away.

3 times in two weeks on Oxford Road is good..... hence I avoid using that road. (Upper Brook St is better).

Rob3rt said:
Its happened to me at least 3 times near the precinct on oxford road

That's the worst stretch on my commute I reckon. Road surface is a collection of large deep potholes, and bus jam by that bloomin' light; with no filter-up-left option and railings at the lights....

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think if someone overtakes badly, it's worth not getting in front of them again if you can - I mean if you have the choice of go directly in front, or hang back. If they are then in a long queue and you get can some way ahead, fine. It's tempting to make a point (I've done it, of course!), but if they've proved once they can't drive, best let them get ahead and out of your way...

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
fossyant said:
Finglands aren't good.

Rob3rt - the option when pulling round busses is to accellerate hard and go past, even if they pull away.

3 times in two weeks on Oxford Road is good..... hence I avoid using that road. (Upper Brook St is better).

Yeah it would be good, if I'd ridden that stretch more than 5 times, and this is at 8pm we are talking, not rush hour, hehe

Not much you can do if a bus accelerates out of a bus stop alongside you as you are passing then gets to to 20-30mph then just coasts along keeping you out in traffic bar slow down and drop back in or stay out in the traffic pissing people off, I cant cycle 30+ mph to take a bus. Im convinced the bus drivers know it and just either dont give a toss or they are trying to prove some sort of point.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
fossyant said:
Do you use Upper Brook St. heading homewards too, Fossy?

AM commute is normally ok on Oxford Road (at least, at the time I'm around).

Evening is bedlam though.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Rob3rt said:
I cant cycle 30 mph to take a bus.
I once did an adrenaline driven 29mph on my old roadie to get ahead of a bus that took my bit of the road & wasn't letting me back in. (Behind were two more, travelling pretty much nose to tail, hence dropping back not an option)

That was Finglands too.

As was the bus that knocked me off trying to beat me around a parked van (ok, apparently, as I hadn't looked over my shoulder, cobblers, and also WTF?). As was the bus that caused my first written complaint, overtaking me at a pinch point and nearly running me off the road. Homicidally impatient.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
All in all, bus drivers in manchester are on the most part, idiots, so no point in trying to tell them they are in the wrong, because they just dont care or are too stupid to understand. Just keep yourself safe.

Its not just finglands, all the buses are like that.

Thank god UK North arent still going!

so you've gone out for a ride and ended up getting extremely wound up and angry by some poor driving. you may think you've made a point to the driver and 'changed' his ways but in reality, you've made him more anti-cycling, got yourself wound up and not enjoyed your ride and achieved what exactly?

i now there's poor driving but there always will be. i just shrug my shoulders, continue on the ride and forget about it after a few minutes. i never let it make me bitter and twisted for days. i'm sensing i enjoy my commutessocial rides a lot more than you do. :tongue:

Eejits try to justify their actions due to embarrassment. Most folk don't really like admitting when they're wrong, so they bluster, bluff and bu****it you to cover for it.
Thomas, your close lorry-overtake vid reminds me of my commute most days. I'll get truck drivers who are aware of what's going on and total muppets who give you no room at all.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Rob3rt said:
Its not just finglands, all the buses are like that.
Personally, I've had no bother with First, or Stagecoach in town.

Finglands and Magic Bus I treat as though they want to kill me, usually they drive like they do.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I had my first ever bad experience with Lothian Buses yesterday - single decker decided to overtake me just before a bus-stop, which then required him to swing back in on me with 2/3 of the length of the bus not yet passed.

Frightening, but I'd half-anticipated it as I heard him rev up to overtake, and knew there was a bus stop just ahead. A quick jamming on of the brakes dropped me back safely just before the back end of the bus scraped my elbow. I was already wound up after a bad day at work, so decided it was probably best to leave it and take my stress out on the pedals instead!

Further along the route home I had a woman pull out onto Corstorphine Road in front of me without once looking to her right. Too busy looking for a gap in the traffic on the other side of the road to check the traffic bearing down on her. Fortunately I was ready for it as she was edging out and I could clearly see that she wasn't looking my way. (Thank goodness it was a bright, sunny afternoon yesterday!) She's lucky I wasn't a bus or another vehicle as it would have been a nasty smash.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
John the Monkey said:
Personally, I've had no bother with First, or Stagecoach in town.

Finglands and Magic Bus I treat as though they want to kill me, usually they drive like they do.

Ive never even noticed a First bus while out on my bike tbh but Ive had stagecoach do the pulling out thing on me a number of times between fallowfield and didsbury. Think it was the same driver a couple of times tbh.

UK North were like the worst of a bad lot though, those were the most ridiculous buses ever. I remember using them on my 1st year as undergrad because they were half the price of other buses, but even as a passenger or pedestrian it was clear they were nutters!

mattybain

Must be something in the air in Manchester at the moment. Had 2 really close calls on the way home last night, one bus and one car who both came way too close.

Then coming up Bury Old Road (North of Cheetham Hill - the bit which is akin to the surface of the moon, at least 3 open issues on fill that hole) I was taking a strong secondary to avoid the worst potholes when a driver comes up behind me beeping his horn and gesticulating. He then overtakes (quite well acutally).

However within 20m I have caught him up and knock on his window to have a chat. He says "what the F**k are you doing so far out in the road", I explain about the pot holes. He then says (pointing at his car) "This thing will f**ing kill you" which sounds a bit like a threat.

I then point out that he is on camera and he backtracks and says "I meant that this *could* kill you".

Luckily I have the presence of mind to say "no it couldn't, it's the tw*t inside that will do the killing" and ride off.

What was the point of that? I didn't delay him in the slightest, he had plenty of room to overtake and to then threaten me!! Shame that when I got to transfer the camera file to my computer it decided there was an error and wouldn't play :tongue:

Lurker

mattybain said:
.... He then says (pointing at his car) "This thing will f**ing kill you" which sounds a bit like a threat.

I then point out that he is on camera and he backtracks and says "I meant that this *could* kill you".

Bizarre thinking on the driver's part. As in - he thinks his car has a mind of its own?!

If he'd had a chance no doubt he'd have told you that his horn has a mind of its own, too....:tongue:

Top Bottom