2 f*ckwits in 15 minutes. Must be "idiot on the road" day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
There was a slightly amusing part where we stopped at the Bus driver's window and I banged it to get his attention... I think he probably sh*t himself at that point.

I admit it was a far harder knock than I was intending, but my adrenaline got the better of me. :blush:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
trustysteed said:
i now there's poor driving but there always will be. i just shrug my shoulders, continue on the ride and forget about it after a few minutes. i never let it make me bitter and twisted for days. i'm sensing i enjoy my commutessocial rides a lot more than you do. :blush:

Doing nothing sucks for every other cyclist out there. Do nothing, and you'll reinforce the assumption that that sort of behaviour is appropriate. Do nothing and it'll happen more often, not just to you but to all cyclists. Better to do your civic duty like Sharky did, and to report it of course.

As for who enjoys their journey more, I wouldn't be making that sort of assumption quite so quickly.

Zippy

Its really strange reading these incidents - seems I did the right thing moving down to Cornwall.

Down here buses generally indicate before pulling out whether you are a cyclist or car driver behind. If there's time to slow down you should by law give way to buses pulling out, but there's always an acknowledging "thimbs up" when allowing buses to pull out and I've never been side swiped by a bus - cars yes, but bus drivers and lorries tend to be a different class of driver down here.

BentMikey said:
Doing nothing sucks for every other cyclist out there. Do nothing, and you'll reinforce the assumption that that sort of behaviour is appropriate. Do nothing and it'll happen more often, not just to you but to all cyclists. Better to do your civic duty like Sharky did, and to report it of course.

As for who enjoys their journey more, I wouldn't be making that sort of assumption quite so quickly.

i don't need to do anything. there's enough militant cyclists with cameras filming every inch of their commute in the hope that something bad will happen so they can upload it to youtube then post the link on here saying 'look at the pillock in the car, was i in the right, blah blah blah' and discussing every angle of the incident till the computer's bleeding from every orifice.

meanwhile i'm cycling in and out of traffic on my rides arriving at my destination stress free and not ranting like a twat about everybody else on the road.

Origamist

Legendary Member
trustysteed said:
i don't need to do anything. there's enough militant cyclists with cameras filming every inch of their commute in the hope that something bad will happen so they can upload it to youtube then post the link on here saying 'look at the pillock in the car, was i in the right, blah blah blah' and discussing every angle of the incident till the computer's bleeding from every orifice.

meanwhile i'm cycling in and out of traffic on my rides arriving at my destination stress free and not ranting like a twat about everybody else on the road.

You're just ranting about cyclist wearing cameras and uploading film on YouTube!

trustysteed said:

I'll take that as a personal slur then :blush:.

I don't entirely agree with BM with regards to taking action. I do, but I can understand why some don't want to, and that is right for them. However, as origamist suggested, your post was just a sweeping rant at helmet camera cyclists. The type of sweeping generalisation that I think you'll find most helmet camera cyclists avoid.

tightwad

I wish to express my sincere gratitude for the selfless way which you attract many of the dickhead drivers of Manchester to perform their murderous manoeuvres around you. It makes my commute in Manchester a less dangerous one. Forever in your debt, keep up the good work.

The reason I have a camera is to counter the sweeping generalization that I often encountered (whether it be from friends, family, colleagues or the police) that anything untoward that happened to me while cycling was probably my fault. Anything that occurs now I have recorded as a moderately specific account of the event. It also may be worth more than ten thousand pounds in a personal injury case. These seem to be similar reasons to many camera users. I have reservations to camera use but due to my previous encounters with this country's criminal justice system and awareness of the bias in our society against cycling and non-motorized transport I feel the interests of myself and others are best served by recording my experiences on the road.

Buses on my route (First & Stagecoach) seem quite vigilant to cyclists.

It does often become a game of cat & mouse though; being overtaken - then having to overtake etc, etc.

When overtaking a stationary bus, I find it best to take it early & as wide a possible so out of the blind spot (I guess most of you would do this), then 'give it some' to get past - keeping an eye on the drivers mirror to check they have eyeballed you.

But being a slower rider on a heavy MTB - I often just wait behind 'til it departs [cough....splutter...].

potsy

Rambler
Must admit I've not had many incidents with buses,now Black cabs that's another matter;)
I think you and tharg are fast becoming a cycling version of Del boy and rodney dressed up as batman and robin,righting wrongs on the mean streets:biggrin:

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
tightwad said:
I wish to express my sincere gratitude for the selfless way which you attract many of the dickhead drivers of Manchester to perform their murderous manoeuvres around you. It makes my commute in Manchester a less dangerous one. Forever in your debt, keep up the good work.
You're welcome. :cry:

I tempted another one tonight in a silver Saab of some description (AF02 LSE) who was clearly in too much of a hurry to actually change his driving line at all to pass me.

Happily minding my own business doing just shy of 20mph along a 30 limit road and passing a parked van with oncoming traffic there too, just to add to the mix.

F*ckwit driver bombs past doing (at a conservative guess) about 40mph, literally within 6" of my handlebars. His wing mirror almost touched the sleeve of my fleece and I nearly sh*t myself there and then. I mustered as much effort as I could and started to catch him as he approached a queue of traffic... and then he turned off to the left before the lights held him up for me.

I have to say that it's a good job really as I really don't know what I would have done to him and/or his car - I have never seen such red mist before! :laugh:

If my camera had been working I'd have gone straight to the Police station there and then, he needs taking off the road (and possibly out of the population as a whole).

Tharg2007

Veteran
was mostly the same sort of thing on the way home for me, noheads bombing it down urmston lane obviously racing each other in their high power saloons with tinted glass, one cock end honked me because I was taking up too much room trying to avoid door zones and cars pulling out, tosser.

Funny incident coming onto chester road though, sat in the asl on talbot/chester road when a bike cop pulls in past the traffic into the asl, I muttered to another guy on a bike something about it being for motorbikes too now (obviously under my breath as I didn't want a to be fitted up ;)), then we move off and traffic is slow, I'm able to pass in the cycle lane, then car in front must see the bike cop in the right lane and for some reason thinks he will give him more room by swerving into the cycle lane as im just about to make my way down there, i drop back saying 'whoooa' look back at the copper who saw it clearly, then he pulls him over for a word :becool: result!

Top Bottom