2 question re a book wat I am reading.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Q1. Has anyone else read this book.
Based on well kept diaries of Charles Pope and covering his epic rides 1924-33.
WoW.....can you imagine cycling uk roads with virtually no traffic.
Only just started it but it looks interesting.

Q2. It says he rode a Merlin bike. When I google Merlin the only reference is from mid 90s......a company that started in Chorley.
@PaulSB ......you may know of the modern one.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
In the mid 1950's when I got into touring rather than just utility riding the only busy times were perhaps easter and last fortnight in July. Even then it would be considered quiet by present day standards.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
In the mid 1950's when I got into touring rather than just utility riding the only busy times were perhaps easter and last fortnight in July. Even then it would be considered quiet by present day standards.
I cycled semi-seriously as a teenager 1962ish.
The only 'tour' I did was a week around north Wales and Anglesey. Ill prepared, I knew nowt. Slept rough eg one night in a barn.
But most Saturdays would be 50+ miles.
Because we didn't know any different we never thought "oh, not much traffic around".

Cycleops

Legendary Member
This British Transport film from then might chime with you. Seems unbelievable now that cyclists were actually catered for on trains. Oh to turn the clock back.

View: https://youtu.be/QPkT0paGEnQ

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Based on well kept diaries of Charles Pope and covering his epic rides 1924-33.
WoW.....can you imagine cycling uk roads with virtually no traffic.
To what extent were the roads metalled then? I'm guessing that a lot of the B roads we use now would still have been unsurfaced??

pawl

Legendary Member
Thanks
Fascinating. I really enjoyed that and will watch it again on the lap top.

I am not able to remember the year probably the mid fifties..I rode with Loughborough CTC We went on a British Rail trip to Shropshire
There was certainly a lot less traffic about back then Club runs into Derbyshire using the A6 was very quite.Straight through Derby.Don’t think I would consider it know.The last time I used the the A6 i

parked the car in Cromford and rode up to Bakewell.I was glad to get into the lanes I used the HighPeak trail for my return to Cromford

These days if I want to go further afield I usually go car assisted

gom

Über Member
I was given the book a couple of years ago. It may be just a set of diary entries, but I was surprised by how interesting and enjoyable I found it.
I recommend it to all.

A lot of unmetalled roads ridden if I recal correctly, but CJP comments on more becoming surfaced.

I think it is in this book that dusting a cape with flour is mentioned, to make it less sticky. Some things have improved!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
To what extent were the roads metalled then? I'm guessing that a lot of the B roads we use now would still have been unsurfaced??
It was the 1950's not the 1850's

oldwheels

Legendary Member
This British Transport film from then might chime with you. Seems unbelievable now that cyclists were actually catered for on trains. Oh to turn the clock back.

View: https://youtu.be/QPkT0paGEnQ

That seems quite familiar to me but probably early 1950's I think. The roads we used were all metalled but there were not that many choices in the Highlands and Islands where we mostly travelled although we did a bit around central Scotland also. Never went south to any great extent but working in Renfrewshire and Ayrshire I did a bit around there.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I cycled semi-seriously as a teenager 1962ish.
The only 'tour' I did was a week around north Wales and Anglesey. Ill prepared, I knew nowt. Slept rough eg one night in a barn.
But most Saturdays would be 50+ miles.
Because we didn't know any different we never thought "oh, not much traffic around".
I had very similar experiences but we slept rough as often as we could find anywhere. We got very expert at touring "off grid". This was mostly for financial reasons as being still at school I did not have much money. My pal Jum had an ex police bike with double crossbar and 28 inch wheels. Not exactly lightweight.

tyred

Legendary Member
I haven't read the book but if I can get hold of a copy I soon will do as it seems very much my type of book:becool:

Top Bottom