2 to 3 speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I actually called my favorite Brompton shop to see if the two sprocket driver that comes on BWR hubs could be bought separately for my BSR and they said they couldn't get the driver that way and had to buy the whole hub.
That's wrong. You can buy the BSR driver and other parts i.e. at SJS and this way convert a BSR to take two sprockets. Just that it is a bit of a pointless conversion and so nobody does it. If you want two sprockets on a BSR style hub just buy one of the older SRAM 3/6 speed hubs for the Brompton. The older Brompton 6-speed solution based on the SRAM hub is exactly what you would get with upgrading a BSR with BWR parts. 9 speeds on the basis of a BSR hub would even be more pointless due to overlapping gears. I'd recommend checking this thread where the topic has been discussed extensively.

Last edited:
OP
OP
12boy

12boy

Guru
At the moment I am about 750 miles from home, having gone to New Mexico to help my sister and BIL since he is just finishing radiation therapy for throat cancer and he is totally exhausted and in despair. Hope to get home by Monday, if not Sunday, and my wife says there is little package from Taiwan with my Bikegang triple gear set up inside. Something to look forward to. Thanks, Bikegang..

OP
OP
12boy

12boy

Guru
The advantage to me is comparing to a 2 speed. Higher high and a nice medium are the advantages to me. Compared to a Sturmey Archer three speed it's primarily weight.

Schwinnsta

I have the Bikegang 12 - 14 - 17 now so I was wondering why the triple compared to that.

OP
OP
12boy

12boy

Guru
Got back from my trip and found both the 3 sprocket part and a thinner retaining ring waiting for me. Pulling the rear wheel is fairly quick and taking off the 2 speed sprockets is also quick and easy. Putting the 3 speed sprocket on is also about as simple as it could be.
However, getting it to work was a little more problematic. I did have a new SRAM 10 speed chain cut to the same length as the KMC chain which I was using with my 12/18 two speed. I couldn't get the three speed set up to run and shift well, and as I have 2 chainrings, 58 and 38 tooth, was surprised to see it autoshift onto the small chainring. I read back through the posts, and someone, I believe Schwinnsta, added a washer between the frame and the 15 mm nut holding the wheel on the drive side which essentially pushed the tensioner out a little. I learned the second washer must be the same size as the original washer to allow the tensioner to seat properly. Once I got the washers right it worked well, and that was with a friction shifter. There was also a little loosening of the shifter cable to allow the shifter to go far enough to hit the 11 tooth sprocket easily.
Today was my first opportunity to try this out. I rode about 16 miles, some downhill at 29 mph, most of it fairly level and half with 18 mph headwinds. The 3 sprockets, 11, 14 and 17 gave rounded off gear inches of 85, 67 and 55. I appreciated the 85 for downhill and level with no headwind or a tailwind , the 67 for level or a short rise with a headwind, and the 55 for long grades with a headwind. I had a few gear skips with the 14 and 11 tooth sprockets but also managed to grind up some short grades standing on the pedals with the 11 and 14 with no skips. Might just be getting the friction shifter exactly right. Pretty much a very satisfactory experience from my point of view. Having a high gear 7 gear inches above the 12 tooth sprocket (78 gear inches) and something in between the high and low was very nice.
I would suggest including a washer of exactly the right diameter and thickness with the kit to avoid having to experiment with finding the right one. Then swapping the 3 speed setup for the 2 would be a 15 minute job, plus a little tweaking of the cable length. I will post again after I get some more miles on it.

bikegang

Mod before ride, my bike my style...
Got back from my trip and found both the 3 sprocket part and a thinner retaining ring waiting....
Thanks for the review and the tip of tensioner washer.
So this is why H&H has produced washers for tensioner to fine tune the shifting, but they are inside the tensioner.

u_i

Über Member
This is the type of washer that needs to be put on the axle under the tensioner

EDSTf_IWsAAC2T6.jpg

I cut one myself out an alu sheet, but I have seen these also on AliExpress, $6 apiece though :crazy:

OP
OP
12boy

12boy

Guru
I just used a washer the same size as the original. Had I thought more I would have used the washer from the non drive side and used a regular axle washer for that.

Top Bottom