2 weeks in Menorca........couldn't hire a bike :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
One of the reasons I chose the particular (4*) hotel was that they advertised cycle hire. So..........I duly took my shorts etc.
I went to reception, armed with a stick drawing showing my height and leg measurement. They told me the company they usually used was no longer in business so they tried 3 others (all new to them).
Bearing in mind I didn't speak directly to them as I don't speak the language................
No 1. Apparently said I was too fussy over the sizing.........basically I would have to take what they offered
No 2. They wanted 55 Euros PER DAY and I had to take whatever they delivered
No 3. Wouldn't take the chance of delivering a bike as they had never dealt with that hotel.
The bus service in Menorca is difficult as you cannot go from a to b.........you have to go all the way to Mahon then get another bus to wherever you want. The bike hire shops were all outside Mahon centre which would mean car hire or a 2 mile walk in the heat.
So..........I didn't get a ride in :sad:
Ah well............we still enjoyed the holiday and am going for a ride in the sun today :smile:

Sharky

Guru
Hope you visited the Gin distillery - makes problems disappear.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Hope you visited the Gin distillery - makes problems disappear.
We did.......very disappointing really. There was a stack of shot glasses and various liqueurs we could help ourselves to but only the gin was made there and there was no-one to explain anything about any of the drinks.

Dirtyhanz

Veteran
Get a Brompton and take it with next time

Sharky

Guru
We did.......very disappointing really. There was a stack of shot glasses and various liqueurs we could help ourselves to but only the gin was made there and there was no-one to explain anything about any of the drinks.
It was a long time ago (1985 ish), and memory fades, so probably wasn't that grand, but I do remember the free shots.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Bearing in mind I didn't speak directly to them as I don't speak the language...
What? No-one at three shops in a tourist area spoke English (or German, if you speak it) and no-one was willing to translate in exchange for a beer?

The obvious solution is to learn more Spanish :thumbsup: although telephones are still difficult as you can't resort to charades. You could email or text and use dictionaries or machine translation for any bits you don't know. Sometimes you'll end up sounding like those fun emails you get in English from non-native speakers, but hey, we all get to do it sometimes!

(OK, I admit, I can often cheat by travelling with someone who speaks Spanish, but I still get to play charades when alone or we're in another country like Portugal...)
You couldn't walk 2 miles in the sun, but wanted to go out for a bike ride? :laugh:
And presumably you'd be walking there so you'd arrive at the shop when it opened and maximise the riding time, so it shouldn't even be that hot yet :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
What? No-one at three shops in a tourist area spoke English (or German, if you speak it) and no-one was willing to translate in exchange for a beer?

The obvious solution is to learn more Spanish :thumbsup: although telephones are still difficult as you can't resort to charades. You could email or text and use dictionaries or machine translation for any bits you don't know. Sometimes you'll end up sounding like those fun emails you get in English from non-native speakers, but hey, we all get to do it sometimes!

(OK, I admit, I can often cheat by travelling with someone who speaks Spanish, but I still get to play charades when alone or we're in another country like Portugal...)

And presumably you'd be walking there so you'd arrive at the shop when it opened and maximise the riding time, so it shouldn't even be that hot yet :thumbsup:
Allow me to explain :smile:
The reception people (at the hotel) were speaking to the cycle hire shop..........I could not understand the conversation.
They do not all speak Spanish on Menorca.....its Cattalan.
I did try walking but it was 37 degrees by 07.00 and I passed out. I was taken to hospital. When I came out of my coma I demanded they take me to the bike hire shop but they couldn't understand English.........I shouted louder and louder but it was no use.
So.......thanks for your suggestions but..hey ho :smile:

Top Bottom