2 years since my accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annirak

Veteran
It's been two years and a day since my accident. I was sent home in a neck brace two years ago today, after spending the night in hospital following a crash that saw me fracture one vertebra in my neck and three in my thoracic spine. The C-spine fracture caused me to temporarily lose sensation in my index finger. I still have diminished sensation with some tingling.

My parents had arrived to visit us the day before my accident after a 9.5 hour flight, so my accident effectively ruined their holiday. They haven't been back, but are talking about visiting this winter.

I've been cycling regularly again for 20 months. The may following my accident, I did my first century and Mrs. Annirak did the L2C with me this year... On a city bike :ohmy:

Many thanks to all those who encouraged me. I think I am about as recovered as I will get. I'm still alive. I'm still being a husband and a dad. I'm still working. I'm still cycling. I think that's about the best I could ask for!

good for you and all the best

david k

Hi
It's been two years and a day since my accident. I was sent home in a neck brace two years ago today, after spending the night in hospital following a crash that saw me fracture one vertebra in my neck and three in my thoracic spine. The C-spine fracture caused me to temporarily lose sensation in my index finger. I still have diminished sensation with some tingling.

My parents had arrived to visit us the day before my accident after a 9.5 hour flight, so my accident effectively ruined their holiday. They haven't been back, but are talking about visiting this winter.

I've been cycling regularly again for 20 months. The may following my accident, I did my first century and Mrs. Annirak did the L2C with me this year... On a city bike :ohmy:

Many thanks to all those who encouraged me. I think I am about as recovered as I will get. I'm still alive. I'm still being a husband and a dad. I'm still working. I'm still cycling. I think that's about the best I could ask for!
Well done mate, keep up the good work. I'm fortunate, not come off a bike as I recall, well a motorbike but a long time ago but I know how hard it can be recovering after surgery, keep going and best wishes :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'll be soon upto a year. 9 months since mine but still not properly cycling. Back gets incredibly sore but not at the fracture.

Good news and, as we both know, could have been much worse.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Well done @annirak

I met a guy on a train a few weeks ago. I had my Brompton & he had a road bike so we got chatting. He praised his employers for finding him a new role after his accident meant he couldn't do his original job. He said that he'd been hit by a car doing 70mph and woke up 2 weeks later in intensive care. Took him 11 months to get back to work. When I saw him he was off to meet a friend to ride from Hexham back to Newcastle. I'm not sure that in his position I'd ever get back on a bike.

Good luck to anyone getting back on a bike after an accident!

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
dont you just love a happy ending, well done :okay:
Not quite ended yet. I'm likely to be sent for MRIs and nerve conduction studies in the near future.

+1
You are a determined man @annirak, well done.

Well, I try anyway. I commute to work by bike and we don't actually own a car. I was definitely eager to get back on a bike though!

Tojo

Über Member
Good to hear someone else has had a positive outcome, given mine was a motorcycle accident, I'm 5 and a half years down the line lost the job I used to do because of fitness as a result, and the gripe is that the fault was his, and never disputed and now I have to go to county court in November to get loss of earnings, good job I have family and had a wee bit put away at the time else I would have been sleeping in doorway the way insurance claims go they just string it out till they they think your on the bones of your arse and you'll except a silly offer from them.......Bar-stewards

Top Bottom