2.. .yes 2....new whiskies I wish to recommend.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I do not like smokey/peaty whisky so if that is your bag then look away now ^_^.

1. Is a blended whisky called The Woodsman.......WoW. so smooth and a lovely flavour. On offer at Tesco £18.00.
I really do recommend it.

2. Is a single malt called AUCHENTOSHAN (its all capitals on the label). Again on offer at £20 down from £32..TBH I would not like to pay full price but it is a pleasant sherry cask whisky.
I need to try a few more but to me its the blended Woodsman.

contadino

Veteran
I'm not a whicky drinker, but the wife appreciates a glass of a winter evening. I'll mention these because she too isn't keen on smokey/peaty ones, and these two went down a storm....

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/46172/bunnahabhain-11-year-old-sherrygordon-macphail-discovery
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/43920/miltonduff-10-year-old-sherry-cask-gm-discovery-range

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I'm not a whicky drinker, but the wife appreciates a glass of a winter evening. I'll mention these because she too isn't keen on smokey/peaty ones, and these two went down a storm....

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/46172/bunnahabhain-11-year-old-sherrygordon-macphail-discovery
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/43920/miltonduff-10-year-old-sherry-cask-gm-discovery-range
As those are over double the price I would expect them to be better but I think either of the 2 I mentioned are worth a punt.
I should mention......to get the offer you will need a Tesco club card (which is free to anyone).

byegad

Legendary Member
For those who like the peaty approach Talisker Skye is rather nice. Not cheap but in Western terms 'a sippin whisky'.

postman

Legendary Member
Missed out on a Sainsbury bargain,Monkey Shoulder £20,Asda selling at £23 shame it's in the middle of Kirkstall,so for Fathers Day 20th I am going to try Aldi Highland Earl just over £10,it has got some superb write ups,if it's bad for £10 I can mix it coke or lemonade,buying it Tuesday.

Slick

Guru
Never heard of Woodsman but I definitely can confirm that Auchentoshan is quite unfashionable amongst the illuminati but is as you say, smooth, delicious and probably more so because of its location just outside clydebank, but its very reasonably priced and a fantastic introduction to the whisky world. :okay:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Missed out on a Sainsbury bargain,Monkey Shoulder £20,Asda selling at £23 shame it's in the middle of Kirkstall,so for Fathers Day 20th I am going to try Aldi Highland Earl just over £10,it has got some superb write ups,if it's bad for £10 I can mix it coke or lemonade,buying it Tuesday.
Highland Earl is our "go to" but only with a mixer (lemonade for us).
But don't try and compare it to a a half decent malt.

postman

Legendary Member
Highland Earl is our "go to" but only with a mixer (lemonade for us).
But don't try and compare it to a a half decent malt.
Has it got a light sweet taste,I don't want a throat burning harsh taste,I would prefer the Monkey Shoulder but not at £28,I missed out on a bargain offer in Sainsbugs £20,and a ride two buses at £23 is just not worth the hassle.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
tomintoul.jpeg

This is the only whisky I drink. Stupidly expensive here though so I grab a bottle or two when I'm back.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Now I do like a smokey whisky however for this thread I also recommend Auchentoshan American Oak.
Monkey Shoulder was what got me into whisky however not a fan nowadays. Naked Grouse is my current favourite blend after Johnny Walker Black.
Aberlour 10/12 are nice non smokeys and can be had for decent price on offer.
Glenlivet 12 is always a staple.
Always looking for more 'supermarket special' recommendations as some are lovely

Top Bottom