20/18 spokes too few for 95- 100kg rider?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrWill

Thinking about buying some Fulcrum 5's. They have 20 rear spokes and 18 front. Will they be likely to be durable or not, given the weight?

I've R501's atm and they are too flexy.

Kies

I would stick with the 501's until you get the weight down a little more, and then treat yourself to those fuclrums. A good motivator :-)

Nothing stopping you buying now of course, but they may need truing regularly, depending on the surfaces you ride on.

OP
OP
M

MrWill

Hey I'm not a fatty just spent a few years bodybuilding when I was younger. So weight will be same always.

Budget is no more than £200. think the F5's are my best bet?

Did look at building my own rear one at least, but seems to cost more.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I don't know that F5s will be significantly stiffer. F7s were certainly too flexy for me at 90kg.
Really well built 32 spokers will give you stiffness and longevity but not the fashionable low spoke count "look".
I changed out my F7s for handbuilts: Hope hubs, Ambrosio Excellence rims. 32 spoke front/36 rear and it was a better bike for it.
Novatec hubs (aka Ambrosio Zenith) if you want sealed bearing, Whatever you can afford in Shimano otherwise. Open Pro rims. DT Swiss Comp DB Spokes Should get you under £200 if you are canny about where you shop.

jack smith

Veteran
I'm 110 kilo and run a 16 spoke front and 20 rear and on those wheels I ride VERY rough surfaces and they still are in perfect true but those are shimano wheels

screenman

Legendary Member
Grumpy, can you lead me to the source of your information please as I would like to do a bit more research.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I'm 110 kilo and run a 16 spoke front and 20 rear and on those wheels I ride VERY rough surfaces and they still are in perfect true but those are shimano wheels

I think I have a set of Shimano wheels like yours. They do take some weight but the spokes on those wheels are probably 2.5 times the thickens of standard spokes.

I don't know that F5s will be significantly stiffer. F7s were certainly too flexy for me at 90kg.
Really well built 32 spokers will give you stiffness and longevity but not the fashionable low spoke count "look".
I changed out my F7s for handbuilts: Hope hubs, Ambrosio Excellence rims. 32 spoke front/36 rear and it was a better bike for it.
Novatec hubs (aka Ambrosio Zenith) if you want sealed bearing, Whatever you can afford in Shimano otherwise. Open Pro rims. DT Swiss Comp DB Spokes Should get you under £200 if you are canny about where you shop.

I built a set of Ambrosio Excellence rims and Shimano 105 hubs. 32R and 32F, I like the rims and the hubs too. At the time, when I built them I was at my heaviest I think, with that in mind you could get away with 32 and 28 spokes unless you do touring.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Must of bought one offs as mine have been grand for nearly threes years now. I'm 110kg and the roads around N.Wales take no prisoners

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Must of bought one offs as mine have been grand for nearly threes years now. I'm 110kg and the roads around N.Wales take no prisoners
your call but here's what the Owners Manual for the racing 5's says...

• If you weigh over 109 kg/240 lbs we advise you not to use this product. Non compliance with this warning can damage the product irreversibly.
  • If you weigh 82 kg/180 lbs or more, you must be especially vigilant and have your bicycle inspected more frequently (than someone weighing less than 82 kg/180lbs). Check with your mechanic to discuss whether the wheels you selected are suitable for your use, and to determine the frequency of inspections.
you'll find it here @screenman

Mine lasted less than 500km. 95k - 98kg. Back on 36 hole three cross now.

screenman

Legendary Member
your call but here's what the Owners Manual for the racing 5's says...

• If you weigh over 109 kg/240 lbs we advise you not to use this product. Non compliance with this warning can damage the product irreversibly.
  • If you weigh 82 kg/180 lbs or more, you must be especially vigilant and have your bicycle inspected more frequently (than someone weighing less than 82 kg/180lbs). Check with your mechanic to discuss whether the wheels you selected are suitable for your use, and to determine the frequency of inspections.
you'll find it here @screenman

Mine lasted less than 500km. 95k - 98kg. Back on 36 hole three cross now.

Thanks for that, I will pass the information on to a cyclist who is anti forums, and make sure I tell him how useful they can be.

Top Bottom