20-40 fit male wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ahh 'Humiliation TV' - the cankerous carbuncle on the back-side of today's society.

What does it say about this country when popular TV is all about humiliating and ridiculing another human being?

User259iroloboy;37200][quote name= said:
Yet more (so called) reality crap. Ego-centric narcisistic cynosures posturing and posing for a voyeristic audience of no-lifes :ohmy:.

Get off the fence Yorkshireman;)[/QUOTE]

I reckon Yorkshireman tried to get on one of these shows and was turned down. ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Disgruntled Goat said:
Ahh 'Humiliation TV' - the cankerous carbuncle on the back-side of today's society.

What does it say about this country when popular TV is all about humiliating and ridiculing another human being?

I have a (admittedly untested and rather nebulous) theory that as our real lives supposedly become fairer (opportunity for all, make the tests easier for more people to pass etc...) society in general fulfills its need to see people fail by putting them on telly...

Arch;37222][QUOTE=Disgruntled Goat said:

I have a (admittedly untested and rather nebulous) theory .[/QUOTE]

That you wish to test on a representative sample of males in the above category? ;)

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I thought some of the last series of 'Dating the Enemy' was quite good.

Some of the dichotomies they tried to bridge only existed because neither side had ever been exposed to the other's opinions or lifestyles. Their behaviour and value merely mimicked that of their parents and friends. It didn't mean they wouldn't like something new if they had the opportunity.

I know loads of climbers and other 'outdoor' type people who never had any interest outside of the standard drinking / puking / screwing / fighting repertoire of recreational activities until something or someone, turned them on to the outdoors. It might have been going on an outdoor course at school, or something on TV or meeting someone new. But they made the switch and are now pillars of the drinking / puking / screwing / fighting / climbing community.

After the thread 'does your partner share your cycling passion?' revealed (IIRC) that few pairings on here have cycling in common, why would you be so skeptical that romance couldn't blossom in others without shared commonality?

From the press release it's not clear quite how 'diverse' these pairing will be. It will depend on whether they want to make it a heart warming, feel good show celebrating the triumph of the human spirit against the odds, such as the community choir programs for example, or whether they just want confrontational car crash TV, like 'Holidays from Hell.'

I know it's not trendy to like reality TV, but I think it plays a valuable role in society. We may not like some of the 'low lifes' that get their 15 minutes of fame, but for me, the fact I feel uncomfortable watching this sort of stuff is because it's a painful reminder of how badly we have done in creating a equitable society in both opportunity and education. I would like all this 'to go away' but that wont happen by taking it off TV. To truly 'go away', we have to work towards a society where we don't have bigoted, uninspired, badly informed people with twisted values to even film.

Top Bottom