20 cm from Death - Outcome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Bad as it was, I think you just have to chalk it down to experience now. And it could have been worse, much worse...

http://www.mountainx.com/news/2009/former_asheville_firefighter_gets_4_months_for_shooting_cyclist

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I've contacted the CTC, so we will see if they want to take this up or not. I'm also going to wait and see what the reasons behind dropping it are. Once I know that I will certainly get this publicised (if anyone is interested).

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Bad as it was, I think you just have to chalk it down to experience now. And it could have been worse, much worse...

http://www.mountainx...hooting_cyclist

I'm not expecting anything to happen to that particular driver, but I wan't to make damn sure that the PF or CPS take these matters more seriously in the future. Whilst drivers like this get away with driving like this, driving standards will not improve and cyclists will continue to face unecessary dangers.

Whilst law enforcement is not the complete answer, it certainly is part of it.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Now that the law has failed you have you considered taking a copy of that to the company involved?

Probably achieve nothing but may make you feel better.

thomas

the tank engine
I'm not expecting anything to happen to that particular driver, but I wan't to make damn sure that the PF or CPS take these matters more seriously in the future. Whilst drivers like this get away with driving like this, driving standards will not improve and cyclists will continue to face unecessary dangers.

Whilst law enforcement is not the complete answer, it certainly is part of it.

Does the driver who was driving the tanker know that they were going to be charged with dangerous driving, etc, etc...or are they blissfully unaware?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Does the driver who was driving the tanker know that they were going to be charged with dangerous driving, etc, etc...or are they blissfully unaware?

They were charged and interviewed. I suspect that they now know that they will not be prosecuted.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Now that the law has failed you have you considered taking a copy of that to the company involved?

Probably achieve nothing but may make you feel better.

I'm not going to pursue the driver. It would gain little if nothing. I am going to hound the PF though.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I'm not going to pursue the driver. It would gain little if nothing. I am going to hound the PF though.

I think that's the only approach worth trying.

ohnovino

Large Member
Truly shocking video.

I've got a horrible feeling the argument for not prosecuting is that "he didn't actually make contact with you" :angry:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies

Your probably wise.you could end up on a harrasment charge while he or she walks away laughing.

That must be the worst example of dangerous driving past a cyclist i have ever seen that didnt actually involve a collision.

I think the adrenalin would have had me in hot pursuit pedalling furiously in a futile attempt to catch up. (been there got the Tshirt)

PS dont be embarrassed about swearing etc .I would have equalled that AND had to go home for clean pants :whistle:

Atrocious driving. Mind if I post this on Pistonheads? There has been a recent thread about another cyclist with a helmet cam who over reactes a little. It would be interesting to redress things a little.

My link

Edit - a few traffic pol on there too.

subaqua

What’s the point
well i posted it my facebook page. and it went in Video of the day section on a diving forum i frequent.

sadly i got a lot of "typical cyclist always playing being the victim" responses.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Cheadle, really, I'd prefer you not to post in cesspits like that, especially not linking to us. Thanks for the vote of confidence anyway...

LOL on that muppet about recumbents. I'm sure he rather likes Lamborghinis and many other low cars like that, and has no problem with them. I'm sure he also doesn't realise that with many low sports cars, their lights are lower than recumbent lights, and their drivers are too.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
[QUOTE 1259159"]
For some reason I can't see the video?
[/quote]

I think its being watched... a LOT.

Mags.. I've forwarded the link to a few papers news email, perhaps others here could also email various newspapers and get the gist going..? They can then choose if they have an interest and might run a general peice on cyclists not having any joy with the Police, etc.

Top Bottom