20 MPH Limits - what's your thoughts ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
From 17th September, all 30 mph Welsh roads will become 20 mph limits. Some English authorities have similar schemes. Whilst this is very welcome from a road safety point of view, what are your thoughts ?

One point I noticed from a trip we did to Cardigan last year from North Wales was that progress for the last 30-40 miles was very slow, as most of the villages along the coastal route had 20mph limits already - it took a lot longer than I'd estimated for those last few miles - ah we'll be there in an hour, nope it was two.

My other worry is we, as cyclists, will be mixing it a bit more in traffic, not talking about busy routes, or during the commute for which we are in the traffic or passing, but we'll be catching cars up more and generally mixing it on more open roads (assuming they stick to the speed limit).

I certainly welcome it though.

D

Deleted member 1258

We've got a few round here, I quite like them, they calm things down a bit.

Alex321

Veteran
Maybe not but hopefully it means they drive between 20 & 30 rather than between 30 & 40 (or more) as happens in 30 zones

According to the consultation documents for the change coming in wales, the current average speed in free flowing traffic in 30 limits is 31mph. They expect this to change to 25mph with the introduction of the 20 limits.

We already have quite a few around here and in Cardiff.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Not a universal panacea but a very welcome step along the way to equitable use of public space.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Can be good in most places but they have to be policed. There is a 20mph limit on the street which runs in front of my house and some other streets near here.
It appears most seem to read it upside down and 50 is nearer the norm in some cases.
Nobody has ever been prosecuted for exceeding 20mph here so far as I know.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
To be honest, nobody takes any notice of the 30mph on the road outside my house.

In fact, they don't even take any notice of the 3-way temp traffic lights, that Dwr Cymru (in their infinite wisdom) have parked here till November (at the earliest).

It’s a good idea, but I doubt if 20 will make a difference

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Can be good in most places but they have to be policed. There is a 20mph limit on the street which runs in front of my house and some other streets near here.
It appears most seem to read it upside down and 50 is nearer the norm in some cases.
Nobody has ever been prosecuted for exceeding 20mph here so far as I know.

And that's the rub.
Until the Police start getting heavy handed with fines for breaking the limit, people will ignore.

vickster

Legendary Member
According to the consultation documents for the change coming in wales, the current average speed in free flowing traffic in 30 limits is 31mph. They expect this to change to 25mph with the introduction of the 20 limits.

We already have quite a few around here and in Cardiff.

Certainly not the case in 30 limits around here when there's no traffic :rolleyes:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Evidence shows that unenforced 20mph limits show a modest reduction in average speed, typically of the order of 2mph.

There is a bigger reduction in higher speeds.

Not a panacea but worthwhile.

See for instance Scottish Borders

Screenshot_20230608_120533_Samsung Notes.jpg

https://scottishborders.moderngov.c...20mph%20report%20Council%20-%20Dec%202021.pdf

Top Bottom