20 MPH Limits - what's your thoughts ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Yeah, I'm all for it as well. Obviously there is much still to do in regard to speeding and basic road safety, but I think we should welcome every small step.

DogmaStu

I welcome the lower limits. My ideal would be a largely car-free environment where we can call upon vehicles to use on a trip by trip basis with private ownership rare and a hugely increased focus upon 15 minute towns and cities.

With the advent of e-bikes, there is no reason for the majority of people to need so many cars. I say that as a car owner and someone who enjoys driving. I lived in Amsterdam for 3 years and didn't drive at all there, just cycled.

I have been a forum member on a very well-known car forum for over a decade. I make comments that are pro-speed adherence there but most of the so-called car 'enthusiasts' truly believe that using public roads for their high-speed thrills is justifiable because they understand the conditions and vehicles far better than those who legislate lower limits. They believe they have a 'right' to 'make progress' and everyone else must drive to the speed limit at least so as not to inconvenience them and push on when 'safe' to do so.

With EV's we can finally start repairing the environment and greatly reduce noise pollution but we need to reduce the number of cars on the roads too.

vickster

Legendary Member
I welcome the lower limits. My ideal would be a largely car-free environment where we can call upon vehicles to use on a trip by trip basis with private ownership rare and a hugely increased focus upon 15 minute towns and cities.

With the advent of e-bikes, there is no reason for the majority of people to need so many cars. I say that as a car owner and someone who enjoys driving. I lived in Amsterdam for 3 years and didn't drive at all there, just cycled.

I have been a forum member on a very well-known car forum for over a decade. I make comments that are pro-speed adherence there but most of the so-called car 'enthusiasts' truly believe that using public roads for their high-speed thrills is justifiable because they understand the conditions and vehicles far better than those who legislate lower limits. They believe they have a 'right' to 'make progress' and everyone else must drive to the speed limit at least so as not to inconvenience them and push on when 'safe' to do so.

With EV's we can finally start repairing the environment and greatly reduce noise pollution but we need to reduce the number of cars on the roads too.

Even EVs damage the environment including roads and infrastructure. Need fewer cars full stop.
I really don’t like the fact that EVs are silent (but at least you don’t get the ridiculous exhaust noise from modified cars, need to remove noisy motorbikes too of which there are far more!)

My wife's son and his family live just off a fairly major road with a 20 mph speed limit

I generally try to stay below 25 when on it - because if I go at 20 then I just annoy the person behind me a lot of the time

As far as I have seen this tends to be the situation on most 20 mph roads - especially if you take out the roads (like the one through our estate) where doing over 20 would be positively reckless due to the parked cars and stuff
You can even tell this from the articles on it - they go on about a reduction in average speed to 25 mph

All this is fine - a reduction in average speed on roads with pedestrians around is great - but if the Police start setting up speed traps on these roads then people will go mad as they will catch nearly everyone on the roads
OK - that is the law but it would need to be flagged up that they would be doing it!

Another thing while I am at it - if I am riding my bike at - say - 12 mph - I would feel a bar is more likely to pass me safely if they can just wizz past by accelerating up to 30 rather than have to find a bigger gap ahead - or pass closer

It might not result in a much nicer roads for cycling
maybe

berty bassett

Legendary Member
personally I think it is another step to ease the move into driverless cars , same as pedestrians have right of way anywhere and everywhere - only because a driverless car would stop and maybe a driven car wouldn't - no bad thing ( speed limit , not , not stopping for pedestrians ) can't see average no indicator Audi taking much notice

Mo1959

Legendary Member
We have a couple of country roads around here, not sure if they are classified as C or U, that have signs up saying “Walking and cycle friendly road” and have a 40mph speed limit. Drivers just mostly ignore the limit, and there’s no police available to enforce it.

Until the Police start getting heavy handed with fines for breaking the limit, people will ignore.

They are DEFINITELY not ignored on my estate. We have 1 road that I use almost every journey with no bumps and no houses - but passes a primary school; I regularly used to see daft speeds along there.
MUCH better now!

I have had quite a few nervous moments out in quiet villages, where drivers are almost overtaking too slowly for comfort! (This always afears me of some sort of verbal abuse incoming... ) So yes, that might prove to be a downside, although we may simply get used to it. Better than being close-passed at 60, I guess!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There are lots in my part of London. They've been around for a while now, and everyone seems to have got used to them. There was probably a deal of bellyaching about them when they were introduced, I don't recall.

You still see people flying down them at 40 at quiet times of the day. And at other times of the day the idea of driving as fast as 20 is hopeless dream.

Top Bottom