2004 Carbon bike vs new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamin100

Guru
Hi All,

In the market for a new bike and looking at carbon offerings.

Now, my LBS has a 2004/5 carbon bike with new wheels, cassette, leavers etc. The bike weighs 7.75KG without pedals. The RRP of the bike 10 years ago was over £2k. They are selling it for £675 but it is immaculate.

How would that compare to a sub £700 bike from recent years?
Do frames change that much over time?

vickster

Legendary Member
What make is it? Not all carbon frames are the same. Also, can they absolutely guarantee that it has never been in any sort of accident, nor dropped even if immaculate?

This is new and getting solid feedback

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sed/r...dition?part=SE14RIBEVOPROSUMMER&sub=conf_SERW
Carbon framed bikes seem to be getting cheaper in general

When I bought mine a few years ago, I don't think there were any options under 1k

Does the LBS have the equipment to be able to inspect, verify and guarantee the internal integrity of the frame? I doubt it TBH, however if they do then you might consider it further, if they don't then I'd leave it well alone, but then again I wouldn't buy any second hand carbon, regardless of age.

Everything degrades over time, and the bonding on the frame junctions of the 10 year old carbon jobbie would be giving me sleepless nights TBH.

vickster

Legendary Member
How can it be SRAM rival with Apex shifters? The Rival ones are better. Although any SRAM better than Shimano in my book

I don't think it would be a 2k bike now

worth the money or steer clear?
Vickster says, "I don't think it would be a 2k bike now", and I'd totally agree. It's a parts bin special by the sound of things, and FWIW I can't find a Giant TCR Composite from 2000 to 2004 with a frame like that one, so it may be older, (or newer to be fair), but their info doesn't seem accurate,

The Cayo is a great bike, (I had a Cayo Pro a few years back myself), but I had to a new frame under warranty* due to a defect. Not saying this affected many bikes, (I don't know), but it highlights the potential pitfalls of second hand carbon.

*FWIW I also had a Focus carbon framed MTB and that also had to have a frame replacement due to a similar defect.

Cyprus

Everything degrades over time, and the bonding on the frame junctions of the 10 year old carbon jobbie would be giving me sleepless nights TBH.

Valid point, but it may not necessarilly apply to carbon frames made by Giant, it depends how the carbon is laid up initially. If the frame tubes are separate, individual items which are bonded together at each junction it could be a concern, however I have no idea if this is how Giant would manufacture their carbon frames.

For strength and longevity it only makes sense to manufacture the frames with the carbon layup protruding into each and every frame junction from each adjacent frame tube, particularly where the bottom bracket is concerned ( I would imagine the bottom brackets on carbon frames have multiple 'wrap around' layers of carbon, which would provide high strength and stiffness).

I had a quick Google search for how Giant lay up their carbon frames but could not find anything. Does anybody out there know how they specifically manufacture them?

I'm not trying to shoot anybody's argument down in flames, just curious how the carbon frames are made, regarding layup arrangements. (I am a carbon fibre laminator by trade, working for an independent company, our customers are predominantly in the motorsport industries, including F1, and we also pruduce components for various 'high-end' road cars).

In essence strength in carbon fibre products depends on how (and also, it must be said!!) 'who' has laid the carbon up. Production procedures and methods can vary enormously, unfortunately ...... !!

vickster

Legendary Member
worth the money or steer clear?
The other bike I'm looking at is a focus cayo
New one? Much better bet. I'd not buy second hand carbon when you can get new for under £1k

wintergreen

What make is it? Not all carbon frames are the same. Also, can they absolutely guarantee that it has never been in any sort of accident, nor dropped even if immaculate?

This is new and getting solid feedback

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sed/r...dition?part=SE14RIBEVOPROSUMMER&sub=conf_SERW
Carbon framed bikes seem to be getting cheaper in general

When I bought mine a few years ago, I don't think there were any options under 1k

I took delivery of one of the carbon Ribble's on Friday and have to say I couldn't be happier and doubt I could have got better for my money anywhere else.
I had a quick 8 mile ride on Friday to make sure everything was set up ok and then Yesterday took it on a 28 mile round trip I have done a few times on my touring bike.
It was as comfortable to ride as my touring bike. It was light, fast and an altogether well set up package.
Now all I need to do Is get my legs used to the slightly higher gearing because some of those hills were a bugger :smile: but that's down to me not the bike.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Hi @jamin100

I like the Focus bikes.

Don't think you would go far wrong with a 2013 Giant Defy Comp at around £800 + from www.paulscyles.co.uk.

I would probably not pay £675 for a 2004 bike (even a Giant) with little or no warranty & unknown history when a new carbon bike can be had for relatively little more.

Advances in Carbon technology & bonding products since 2004 probably means that a bike built in the last 2 - 3 years will be far more advanced, probably lighter, stiffer & more compliant all at once.

I wouldn't discount Ribble or Planet X & the Boardman Team Carbon at £999 is looking good if that is not beyond budget.

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
Hi @jamin100

I like the Focus bikes.

Don't think you would go far wrong with a 2013 Giant Defy Comp at around £800 + from www.paulscyles.co.uk.

I would probably not pay £675 for a 2004 bike (even a Giant) with little or no warranty & unknown history when a new carbon bike can be had for relatively little more.

Advances in Carbon technology & bonding products since 2004 probably means that a bike built in the last 2 - 3 years will be far more advanced, probably lighter, stiffer & more compliant all at once.

I wouldn't discount Ribble or Planet X & the Boardman Team Carbon at £999 is looking good if that is not beyond budget.

Thanks - I have indeed purchased the Defy 3 composite from Pauls Cycles. Makes sense really considering the price

Top Bottom