2009 June/July JoGLE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
I am Planning on riding Jogle this year most likely June/July..

Anyone else thinking of doing the same and in the northwest (lancashire area)?

Sparkyman

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
it's on my list but i'm in the SE

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
sparkyman said:

Sparkyman

Visit the dedicated LEJOG forum on the CTC web site - you might get a partner there.

pes

sparkyman said:

Sparkyman

I'm from Cheshire.
How long do you plan to do it in?
Are you camping or B&B etc?

Cheers

Paul

OP
OP
sparkyman

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
HI Paul (others)

MY Plan is to do it in around 10 days( or under) with some camping and BB when nessasery.

The plan is to do at least ten hours a day in the saddle and cover approx 100 miles a day conditions allowing (hence the camping out).

Saprkyman AKA Mark

jags

Guru
that sounds more like a challange than a tour .100 ml day why not take 50 ml a day and enjoy the trip.

OP
OP
sparkyman

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
jags said:
that sounds more like a challange than a tour .100 ml day why not take 50 ml a day and enjoy the trip.

I came up with the 100 mile a day (not done one in a long time mind usually 60-70 but normally only out 5-6 hours) as i worked out that i would proberbly ride ten hours 100 mile is only 10mph easily done i should think.

50 mile would be nice if i had 3 or 4 weeks to do this and wanted to do lots of sight seeing...

btw it's a stressful ride at times so best to go with someone you know well imo

pw2389

Kirstie said:
btw it's a stressful ride at times so best to go with someone you know well imo

What is/was stressful, in particular, Kirstie? Interested to know as I might finally get around to doing the JoGLE this year...

Because it's tiring. When you're tired, your tolerance levels go right down and so little things can sometimes become very stressful. Decisions (eg navigation decisions) can also become difficult when you are tired, so you could get lost more easily, for example.

If you don't know your riding partner very well, and they don't have the same outlook on touring as you do, all kinds of things can result in arguments.

e.g. Fitness levels will differ, so it could be easy for your touring buddy to get really pissed off with you if you keep dropping them. Equally, you coudl get pissed off waiting for them. THey could be a competitive type, and so you end up riding in this terrible atmosphere when they are trying to drop you, burn you off or compare themselves to you all the time.
In the morning, they could be really disorganized and take ages to get their panniers together, whereas you could be really efficient. After several days of this, it could get very irritating. They could have a completely different view of personal hygeine to you, which is horrible to have to experience, or have terrible personal habits.

The most important thing when touring is to be mentally strong and keep as positive an outlook as possible on absolutely every challenge you meet. You also need to care for the well being of your touring buddy as well as yourself.

I don't have first hand experience of many of those examples, but I do know the importance of accepting your touring buddy for who they are, because on something like lejog you are with each other 24/7, or at least influence what the other does.

I have raced and trained with the person I did it with for about 4 years, so we know each other very well indeed, and are best friends anyway. Even so it still had its stressful moments and it was all down to tiredness. There were times when we both had to work really hard to see the positives.

I have only had one experience where I almost had to walk (or ride) away from a tour (not lejog) because one of the people on it was intolerable in almost every respect. It was a truly awful experience and I never want to go through it again.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
sparkyman said:

Sparkyman

Sparky your plans are similar to mine though I couldn't manage much till July. I have been capable of 100 mile days but I'm still recovering from two accidents (April 2007 fell off garage roof and August 2008 knocked off bike by pratt in car). My fitness isn't there yet but I'm working hard to get back to where I was in 2007.

Perhaps we could have a chat and / or ride? I'll be 55 in the summer. I was planning on all B&B or hostels as I don't do camping.

OP
OP
sparkyman

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
HI Paul

I am planning on camping (prefer the freedom) may change that plan yet as im not as young as i was last time i went on these little jaunts ;)

I am planning on doing a trip to Carlise and back (overnight) mid april (weather permiting) to see if i am upto or even close to the 100 mile a day as I am planning.

10 hours and 10mph avarage speed seems reasonable and should be achivable and if conditions are right; doable in in less hours. I usually ride between 12 -13 and with the wind behind :angry: much better.

I'll be 45 shortly my fitness level is inproving after snaping my leg in several places rollerblading :biggrin:. I was pretty fit before the accident but put on close to two stone while mending shifted 1 of them and busy trying to turn the othe rin to muscle lol.

I cycle everyday to work a 12+ round trip and during the summer did a few 60 - 70 mile trips(with loaded panniers) to see if i was still able to rack up the miles.

I am Based in Blackpool.

Sparkyman (mark)

pw2389

Kirstie said:
...The most important thing when touring is to be mentally strong and keep as positive an outlook as possible on absolutely every challenge you meet...

Thanks for airing your experiences, Kirstie. Thankfully, a lot of your points won't arise as I'll be travelling on my own.

I know what you mean about the points mentioned in your other post, though. Last year, I went with a group on a Channel-to-Med trip and there was one member of the group who I found utterly objectionable: just a vile, aggressive, sanctimonious, bullying ignoramus.

On top of that, I realised there were other aspects that indicated I'm better suited to travelling on my own e.g. taking in the peace and quiet of the countryside and not having to listen to others blether on. It's just continuous bad weather that'll irritate me this time!

Top Bottom