England : Hertfordshire 200KM ride into Oxfordshire 30th March

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
131 miles at an amazing 18 mph average! Ride report in 'your ride today' later after I've had a bath and gone out for a curry (I just need to prise my arse off this sofa)

We need a "we're not worthy" smiley

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That was bloody good fun and bloody hard work at the same time. Some big hills, some rolling hills, some cracking descent's, some tailwinds, some headwinds (bastards), some potholey country lanes, some lovely smooth tarmac country lanes, deserted roads and lanes, busy roads and lanes. A lot of fast A and B roads, some perfect cycling weather, not too hot and not too sunny, good cloud cover meant I didn't get crisped up by sun.
More Redkites spotted then you could shake a stick at. One field had 7 circling.

The help from Jay's amazing leading spinning legs and his lovely Cervello made for a most excellent fast 200k, and as he said at a very respectable 18.1mph. I'm feeling the burn. Loving it.

310314.jpg

OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
What a day.
I've done a few 100 milers but never a 200km ride and most of last week I was a little apprehensive about this one as I haven't done a century ride since last August. I've done a few 70 & 80 odd mile rides this year but nothing close to what was planned for today, and Ian was coming and he bangs out century rides like he's nipping to the shops.
Best bike was going to be used for this one, it is so comfortable on long distance rides, it really comes to its own after a few hours in the saddle.
The weather was ideal for cycling, warm, hazy cloud & a bit of a breeze. We had a few hills to get over the Chilterns into Oxfordshire and then it was mainly flat(ish) for the rest of the ride. We had a few small climbs just to let the legs know what we were doing which gave us great views of Oxfordshire (if you ignored the power station) but the rolling roads were flying by under the wheels and we were making a good pace.
The lunch stop was great (I will stop there again) and before long we were back on the road. We were looping around now and the gentle breeze had picked up a little and we were cycling into it. Head down and peddle on. We took it in turns at the front (thanks Ian for the stints into the wind when I was flagging a bit) and after 90 odd miles we stopped at a garage for a can of coke which didn't touch the sides. The sugar hit worked and we were also out of the wind now so the pace picked up and we were chipping along the rolling roads between 20 -25 mph.
100 miles passed and the average speed was still 18 mph! Could we keep this up, we gave it our best shot and even though we got caught up in traffic going through Berkhamsted by the time we were back to Hemel station it was bang on 18 mph av.
I was about 4 miles from home and faced with a hill about 2 miles or so from the front door. I kept checking the av. speed and it dropped to 17.8. I wasn't having that so for the last mile or so gave it all I had left and as I turned into my road it went back up to 18.
That was a cracking day on the bike, I've had a nice curry, a couple of pints and now hit the whisky.
131.6 miles at a bloody good pace.
What a day.
*copied to the "your ride" thread

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Indeed, it was just because there was only the 2 of us. The conditions were perfect for cycling and at the food stop realised we were making very speedy progress. So for the second part of the ride, we really did make an effort to go for it.

The ride ended up being cycling personal achievement bests for the both of us.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Phew. Probably a good job I couldn't make it. I'd have been bailing out a lot sooner than the 50 mile point, as was my vague plan. Like the 50 yard point, maybe.

Sounds like you had a fab day!

Top Bottom