200mile ride attempt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

Got myself a £5 power bank for my phone , my android now lasts about 12 hours running Strava .
Good effort btw!

BSRU

A Human Being
Did you not get bored?
I find the limiting factor to rides longer than 100 miles is mental strength(i.e. boredom), although I do ride alone.

OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Cheers bignick! Its easily within grasp of the average cyclist though.

Jowwy- yeah the coarse was rolling hills the whole way. Definately nothing to write home about. That said; I haven't begun hills yet so why would I add them to a 200 effort. If I want to blow up then I would. Bike riding isnt about being the hardest strongest guy, its about knowing what you have going for you and using your strengths and hiding your weaknesses. As I've said before at my peak I'm not terribly powerful, but the most powerful guy doesn't always win. That's what I keep telling myself anyway.

Peter-sorry man, I do preach, I cannot help it.
BSRU- this was a solo ride and most of the riding I do is solo as well. Its rather hard to find a training partner with frer time that i have, and has such a narroe focus of (get better and nothing else matters) call me narrow minded ;)
can't say I was bored at all if I think back.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
All that sugar looks like a fast track to diabetes. Although as you look about 12 in your photo, you should be ok for now ;)
Yebbut - it was fuel for the ride - does one day's worth of mega-sugar input really do you harm, esp when taken while cycling 200 miles?

(Chapeau, Jason, by the way! - maybe it's time to change the text under your avatar?)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes - well done - that's nearly 50% further than my longest ever rides (though mine were very hilly)!

Did you not get bored?
I find the limiting factor to rides longer than 100 miles is mental strength(i.e. boredom), although I do ride alone.
I think if you are riding hard enough then you will not have enough energy left to worry about boredom! Choosing interesting routes helps too.

I can't remember ever being bored on a long ride of, say, 50-140 miles. It is the local 20-30 milers on routes that I have done hundreds of times before which are sometimes less interesting so I just ride a bit quicker on them.

Last edited:

Big Nick

its a pretty flat parcour though to be fair big nick - although i agree for that distance its pretty good going
And after all there's no better a feeling than p!ssing on someone chips!!

MikeG

Guru
You're ignored 400bhp. Go be arsy on someone else's thread. Simply showing base works. You should try it rather than talking crap and poking fun all the time.
You could have just hit the Ignore button, and not bothered with the snarky comment. Here are the rules: you might want to have a little look in the section entitled Respectful Conduct.

50000tears

You could have just hit the Ignore button, and not bothered with the snarky comment. Here are the rules: you might want to have a little look in the section entitled Respectful Conduct.

That does go both ways Mike. Whilst Jason may not always come across in the way he would like, some of the attacks on him and general micky taking are often out of order.

Fair play, good average speed for a 200 miler if you managed to maintain it for the last 36 miles. :thumbsup:

Now though you really need to find a few hills :evil: Much more fun than the stamina stuff.

OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Fair play, good average speed for a 200 miler if you managed to maintain it for the last 36 . :thumbsup:

Now though you really need to find a few hills :evil: Much more fun than the stamina stuff.
Amen! I cannot wait to get onto the hills proper.
It was a bizzare ride if im honest with you! I was just able to hold 18mph the whole ride. The last 35 miles was done at that pace indeed, not that i had a speedo, but riding a 39-15/14 the whole way around pretty much had a good feel for what i was averaging. Did the first 100miles in 5hrs 22min.

50000tears of joy, had 3 hours off the bike. Didnt even realise it till i looked on strava when you asked. did drop into the bike shop i used to work in, in watford for a chat etc

That said, i would not have liked to have less stops than that :smile: wrists are shedding 50000 tears of their own. Only thing that hurts really bad.

Top Bottom