2012 olympics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Subaqua:

There might be some cheap light fittings going sometime in September/October! ^_^

Yes, ok I see your point. It reminds me vaguely of the Glasgow Garden Festival. All that money spent, and what did they have to show for it after it had finished?? Except for the SECC and various other bits and pieces, Very little. What a wasted opportunity!
I was 6 at the time though so I didn't know any better, I just thought it would be there forever! (A wholly impractical plan now that I think of it all now, but I was 6 after all and economics didn't feature very highly in my view at the time! :laugh: ).

Hmmm, ok, it's crap, but only AFTERWARDS! :whistle:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm sorry, but why would you ever sell that? I know it is worth a lot in the current Olympic Hyperbole, but, still :rolleyes:

I wonder if the seller will eventually regret it.

I'm amused by the fact that the torch bearer's kit offered with it is size XL. I guess we'll be able to work out which one is selling, if we watch the whole lot...

Is the torch the bearer's to keep or dispose of then? I'm surprised at that....

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'm amused by the fact that the torch bearer's kit offered with it is size XL. I guess we'll be able to work out which one is selling, if we watch the whole lot...
If it's like bike kit, then an XL simply means "average".

Arch

Married to Night Train
A colleague of mine's Dad works for Thames Water, and apparently they suggested a grey water system for watering the grass, but were refused on the grounds that athletes might pick up erroneous drugs through the grass, and throw the whole drug testing system awry,

I'm slightly dubious that this could happen myself.

subaqua

What’s the point
A colleague of mine's Dad works for Thames Water, and apparently they suggested a grey water system for watering the grass, but were refused on the grounds that athletes might pick up erroneous drugs through the grass, and throw the whole drug testing system awry,

I'm slightly dubious that this could happen myself.

there is a reclaimed water system ( Non Potable Water), and they use this to water the vegetation. we have finally had the go ahead to use the non potable in one of the venues for toilet flushing as well now.

dawesome

I bought them, wrote the purchase order , signed the delivery ticket and supervised the install.

the whole project is "open book"

It seems unlikely they'd just throw the fittings away afterwards, they'll be used elsewhere or sold.

Arch

Married to Night Train
there is a reclaimed water system ( Non Potable Water), and they use this to water the vegetation. we have finally had the go ahead to use the non potable in one of the venues for toilet flushing as well now.

Ah, that is good news!

With regard to the cost of light fittings, I'm sure there's a hefty premium slapped on stuff for big projects. The man in the street will think "£700 for a light fitting, sod that, I'm off to B and Q". An architect can merrily write in whatever he likes, knowing it'll be swallowed up in a vast budget.

TVC

Is the torch the bearer's to keep or dispose of then? I'm surprised at that....

IIRC they can buy their torch for £199, and what they do with it after that is up to them.

asterix

Comrade Member
I heard of the French radio today that Calais is to benefit greatly from the London games.
Apparently, accommodation in and around London will be so expensive that people wanting to see the games will lodge in Calais ( much cheaper) , travel to London on Eurostar and still save money.
Greedy and rip off Britain! When will they ever learn?

Calais is remarkably English anyway. Queen Mary Tudor would be proud.

Anyway it reminds me when Ascot racecourse was being tarted up and they held Royal Ascot in York. One of my neighbours started a website for people to rent their houses to racegoers at a huge profit. Unfortunately he didn't realise he was much too far North for posh people and only HM Queen and the Duke turned up. They found their own accomodation.

Anyway I shall be 500 miles south and watching the good bits on telly. Instead of being 200 miles north and watching the good bits on telly.

subaqua

What’s the point
It seems unlikely they'd just throw the fittings away afterwards, they'll be used elsewhere or sold.

oh you really have no idea do you. they will be taken down and skipped. the stuff i have seen go into skips on site is unreal. greenest games ever - nah not a chance.

dawesome

oh you really have no idea do you. they will be taken down and skipped. the stuff i have seen go into skips on site is unreal. greenest games ever - nah not a chance.

I have no idea because we don't actually know that what you're claiming is true, it certainly can't be verified. We could all claim special knowledge and insult people who are sceptical, without any way of verifying it it's pretty much limited to "What I reckon". You're claiming they're going to throw out 200 £700 light fittings. I think this is unlikely.

Top Bottom