2012 olympics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
Just be grateful it doesn't have to have Welsh, Gaelic, Scots and Geordie translations below too.

actually the french is below the english wording on the official signs. thre is a staff rest area just opposite the bit i am back on after escaping for a week . the english is at the top and the froggy underneath.

TVC

Looked to me as if the man was simply changing sides on the road. He had actually crossed behind the torch bearer when the police jumped him. I guess for the police it's a matter of dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. He may have been a nutter out to disrupt the proceedings and I wouldn't want to have to make that split second decision.

Agree, they can't take any risks. Besides, the first one was always going to get the full treatment to make it clear to any other nutters/ publicity seekers/ campaigners that the torch relay isn't going to be their moment in the spotlight.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
and protected by morons.

If you mean the Police, yes, probably, if you mean those of us who just want to have said that we saw the damned thing, here in the UK, not somewhere like L.A., then no, I need to disagree.

Typical moany depressing cynical chip on shoulder Britain, the first one here for.... oh, what 64 years? And everyone is going on as if it happens every other bloody week! Nothing will ever be good enough, it is all a load of crap*, and anyone who watches even a tiny snippet of the games is clearly some complete prize idiot.
Moan moan moan, I'm sick and tired of everyone in this country trying to be a bunch of smartarses about everything.
I tell you what, if you lot are clearly so good, why didn't they ask you to organise it, hmmm?
Did they? No?

* - Ok, ok, the cost, but that is always going to be a factor anyway.

If the torch bearer was actually running like someone who was remotely athletic, they'd not be able to keep up. The world must be sniggering at this footage.... I am.

I'll agree that some of it is definitely a bit ridiculous, but hey, who cares? Once its over its over, end of, nobody is forcing you to go out and see it going past (I'm not sure when it goes past here by the way).

subaqua

What’s the point
If you mean the Police, yes, probably, if you mean those of us who just want to have said that we saw the damned thing, here in the UK, not somewhere like L.A., then no, I need to disagree.

Typical moany depressing cynical Britain, the first one here for.... oh, what 64 years? And everyone is going on as if it happens every other bloody week! Jeezo no wonder people want to emmigrate!

I'll agree that some of it is definitely a bit ridiculous, but hey, who cares? Once its over its over, end of, nobody is forcing you to go out and see it (I'm not sure when it goes past here by the way).

i suppose nobody forced the money out of the Local boroughs council tax payers either did they, despite service levels falling like a rock .

some of the stuff done in the name of "the olympics" is terrible. we have had new street lighting columns put in recently, which wouldn't be a bad thing except that all the old concrete columns were refurbed 18 months ago as 1 or 2 were spalling . 1 or 2 refurbs acceptable, but not the amount that was done . the new column project must have ben known about.

and never mind the libraries that have been closed - LBWF must think the olympics is just about sport , without realising its also a cultural olympiad . although theonly cultures lBWF know about will be the ones growing on the wall of the town hall.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
i suppose nobody forced the money out of the Local boroughs council tax payers either did they, despite service levels falling like a rock .

some of the stuff done in the name of "the olympics" is terrible. we have had new street lighting columns put in recently, which wouldn't be a bad thing except that all the old concrete columns were refurbed 18 months ago as 1 or 2 were spalling . 1 or 2 refurbs acceptable, but not the amount that was done . the new column project must have ben known about.

and never mind the libraries that have been closed - LBWF must think the olympics is just about sport , without realising its also a cultural olympiad . although theonly cultures lBWF know about will be the ones growing on the wall of the town hall.

Ok, ok, but do we really need to slag the entire thing? It surely must do some good somewhere (not the sponsor balance sheets I mean), I mean, I think of the Commonwealths coming to Glasgow in 2014, and yes, people will moan, etc etc, but we will get a brand new Velodrome out of it along with quite a few other top class facilities besides!

That might sound terribly shallow and vein, and yes, it probably is. Does it help everyone? No, but then no matter what you do, there will ALWAYS be people moaning about something regardless!
If you were to have the Olympic Swimming at, oh I don't know, Walthamstow Public Baths if such a place exits, then people would STILL be up in arms about it!

In short, you can't win whatever you do.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Nothing will ever be good enough, it is all a load of crap

I'll tell you what was shoddy. We were watching the One Show yesterday, covering the flame arriving at Culdrose. As the plane pulled up, there was a close up on the windscreen and cockpit, and just under the window had been applied letters spelling out the name of the flight "The Firefly".

And those letters were peeling off at the edges. I expect a little more than sticky backed plastic for stuff like that!

I actually like it when the Olympics are on, I like occasionally tuning in to see a sport I know nothing about. Last time, it was the open water swimming that amazed me. I just think we could do with less hype. And time was I would have said "No one can do it as well as us", but now, I'm afraid, I expect cock-ups....

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I'll tell you what was shoddy. We were watching the One Show yesterday, covering the flame arriving at Culdrose. As the plane pulled up, there was a close up on the windscreen and cockpit, and just under the window had been applied letters spelling out the name of the flight "The Firefly".

And those letters were peeling off at the edges. I expect a little more than sticky backed plastic for stuff like that!

I didn't see that, but given the quality of BAs recent 'Bird' liveried planes, it wouldn't surprise me.

I actually like it when the Olympics are on, I like occasionally tuning in to see a sport I know nothing about. Last time, it was the open water swimming that amazed me.

That is why I'm going to the Paras, I want to see these sports first hand. Call me an idiot if you like, but I just look at the rest of you in monumental awe at your missing of a truly fantastic opportunity to actually see these things for real! (Ok, the ticket draws might have had a part to play in that, I'll admit ^_^).

...And this being a sporting forum too!!

Subaqua, I am not immune to the problems it will be causing you, but at the same time, when will we see another one here again? And in a few years, who will really remember the politics of it all anyway?

I just think we could do with less hype.

Well, yes, but what do you expect? Its only the Olympics!
The BBC practically wetting themselves at the prospect is less desirable, I'll agree and I might have to watch on something like EuroSport instead! ^_^

And time was I would have said "No one can do it as well as us", but now, I'm afraid, I expect cock-ups....

I have never said that about anything we have done here, but hey, it can't be any worse than the Athletes living quarters at the Commonwealths in India!

.....Has anyone opened a book as to how long it takes for Boris to say something wrong yet?? ^_^

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Sorry, I just can't appreciate or get moved by all the organised whooping and hollering.
It's about as alien to me as winning something!

This is the true Olympic spirit...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/London-20...=UK_Sports_Memorabilia_ET&hash=item4d01608a70

quick - get yer bid in

subaqua

What’s the point
Ok, ok, but do we really need to slag the entire thing? It surely must do some good somewhere (not the sponsor balance sheets I mean), I mean, I think of the Commonwealths coming to Glasgow in 2014, and yes, people will moan, etc etc, but we will get a brand new Velodrome out of it along with quite a few other top class facilities besides!

That might sound terribly shallow and vein, and yes, it probably is. Does it help everyone? No, but then no matter what you do, there will ALWAYS be people moaning about something regardless!
If you were to have the Olympic Swimming at, oh I don't know, Walthamstow Public Baths if such a place exits, then people would STILL be up in arms about it!

In short, you can't win whatever you do.

aah yes the lovely aquatics centre , that lovely pool for "public use" after the games. except its only the small taining pool thats going to be available , which doesn't even meet half the capacity of the 2 pools Newham have had to close in the last few years .

never mind that the big olympic pool will only be used by elite athletes and not the future stars of tomorow ... the local swimming clubs, one which is very very succesful.

how often is the velodrome going to be open to the public. oh and did you know that the facility built to replace the old Eastway cycle circuit ,over which the Olympic velodrome sits on, is out of use to the general public for the duration of olympic Lockdown- thats 11th July to Mid september. just when all the schools are out and its a great place to take kids away from vehicles .

yes the olympics is great , if you don't live near it. and iam acutely aware that i have a job at present due to it but i think i probably would have had a job whatever.

subaqua

What’s the point
Which is ok, but I still find all the negativity rather depressing, even if it is their own fault.

am looking forward to watching the events, its the "legacy" that stinks. so much more could have been done with the money thats been wasted . £700 light fitings , thats EACH not in total and there are just shy of 200 of them, in temporary venues that will be used for a TOTAL of 4 weeks. 6 weeks if I am generous that people will be using them between the main and the para games. stripping out works on a monday for fit out that were put in on the base build and completed on the preceeding friday, despite offering a cost saving if the base build work wasn't fitted.the answers i have heard from architects are Its the olympics it doesn't matter how much we waste !!

the value engineering that means venues legacy resale value will be cut by more than the cost saving measure saved - how does that make it a cost saving if i save £200K but it means i have to sell for £300K less than the market value would be if had spent the £200K .

Top Bottom