England : Cheshire 2013 Cheshire Cat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zombiemiked

It looks like it will be like last year. Very warm but a fantastic course. Am hoping the good weather starts on Friday as me and my good Lady will be camping nearby :smile:

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Not do much of a buzz about it this year is there?

Also, just realised I don't have a seat post sticker anymore as I took it of when it was cancelled. Hope they still let me ride!

Mickthemove

Über Member
Wow, that was brutal yesterday! i have been on shorter holidays than i spent in (andout) of the saddle yesterday!!

Will not be so gung ho about hills in the future!!

Note to self ~ MTFU :smile:))

Enjoyed it. Tougher than expected, but nice to challenge yourself from time to time. Flat 15 then 20 odd miles of hills, before settling down across the Cheshire plain. Another rider who had the technology, said he recorded just over 4,000ft of climing in the hilly section. Hot day, but I remember the bitter Easterly winds in 'spring' and the snow in April-so no complaints.

Surprised myself by doing Mow Cop, which was a real maul of a climb. I took the advice of fellow CC ers about taking it really slow and pacing yourself.......and it worked. Was amazed when I got to the 25% gradient that a) I was still peddling, and b) I had a clear run with noone ahead of me. At this point,I got out of the saddle and kicked for all I was worth. An amazing feeling to do it. Also made it over Gun Hill. Then really enjoyed hitting 45mph coming down out of the peaks on the Cat & Fiddle rd.

Well organised I thought, all seemed to go smoothly on the day. My first sportive and will seriously consider it for next time.

john59

Guru
I had a great day at the ‘Cheshire Cat sportive’, on the 76 mile route.

Managed to get up Mow Cop, looking forward to seeing the video or photo of myself dripping in sweat.

The rest of the route was quite hilly, and beautiful, before returning to Cheshire.

The feed stations were good and the signage excellent. Highly recommended!

Overall time with feed stops and a friends puncture, 6:21:20. Moving time 5:30:50.

Only downside on my behalf was I didn't realize I hadn't started my Garmin until the first feed station. :wacko:

John

zombiemiked

I managed the Mow Cop this year but hit the bonk at around 70 miles and crawled the rest of the route. Fantastic organisation and very well stocked feed stations.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I only did the 40, and with my lack of training and the weather its probably a good call on my part! After taking the short route split and seeing Mow Cop towering up to my right I was doubly sure!

After the first stop at 20 I set of and knew there was someone behind me. I had already decided that if I felt ok after the first feed stop I would make up for the lack of distance by pushing my pace a little. It was mostly flat so I could hold 22-24 and kept it up for 2 miles until the faster rider came round. Im sure he said something like "I`ve been chewing my bars for the last 2 miles trying to catch you!" (I think it was Number 8316) - Im taking that as a compliment. With him in front the pace picked up a little to 24-26 ish mph. I hung on for nearly 2 miles but he rode off his wheel... and my pace slowed to my usual 16-18 for the rest.

I was feeling please with myself until I realised he must of done at least the medium route, possible the long one and was still charging off into the distance like a cat with a bottle rocket inserted...

john59

Guru
Photographs are up!
Sportivephoto Limited :: Cheshire Cat 2013 - http://sportivephoto.thirdlight.com/viewpicture.tlx?advsearchid=1373389429&pictureid=17882707922

zombiemiked

Me on the Mow Cop

Attachments

• Killing the Mow Cop 2013.jpg
    Killing the Mow Cop 2013.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 60
Top Bottom