England : Cheshire 2013 Cheshire Cat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BJH

Über Member
I wonder how many of us ever fully read the rules on an event that sells out quickly - or at least ever did before this?

They are making a mistake in their actions and should refund those that want it. As a commercial organisation that's just one of the crosses they need to carry and should insure themselves against cancellation

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Well I've contacted them and asked to either be added to the Wiggle White Peak in October or the 2014 Cheshire Cat as I can't do the 7th July and September looks a no-no as well for family reasons.

I'll update when/if I get a response.

Upstream

Unfortunately I think that KTG are in a no win situation and here's why...
  • When they postponed the Cheshire Cat (which was a good decision by the way) they selected a date which clashed with a number of other high profile events.
  • They were too slow to respond to participants who couldn't make the selected date
  • They then offered one single alternative (the Shropshire Mynd) and gave people a very short window with which to transfer. So short in fact that people were effectively being asked to transfer to an event for which they had only received scant bits of information (date only at this stage - no mention of route(s), start times, distances, parking availability etc etc)
  • Have been very slow to respond to social media requests (and have deleted / blocked the posts of some individuals which has resulted in at least one facebook member setting up a complaints page)
Where it may get worse still is that I feel that they will at some stage issue some refunds and that once word of this gets around, many people who were not provided with that option earlier will then, having become disgruntled, also demand a refund (even though they may earlier have resigned themselves to the fact that they'd have to do the cat in July or the shropshire ride in Sept).

Personally I'd have loved to have been able to participate in the rescheduled Cat but it would have meant cancelling my spot on another sportive and losing money. September weather could be horrible but at least in June / July the weather would have been more predictable.

billy1561

BB wrecker
I'd be very surprised if KTG offer a single refund due to the likelyhood of the floodgates opening. They really are quite indifferent to the fact thousands of people will lose money over this.
I can't see why on earth they cannot allow a transfer to any other event they run even the cat next year. No loss of precious revenue and also this years entrants will be pacified to a far greater degree.
KTG have improved their act with sportives because they had a poor reputation for a while but things like this will put them back in the avoid category.

• Have been very slow to respond to social media requests (and have deleted / blocked the posts of some individuals which has resulted in at least one facebook member setting up a complaints page)

I have tried to find this Facebook page, would you happen to know the URL?

As for blocking individuals, I guess that is on FB too. What atrocious behaviour.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'd be very surprised if KTG offer a single refund due to the likelyhood of the floodgates opening. They really are quite indifferent to the fact thousands of people will lose money over this.
I can't see why on earth they cannot allow a transfer to any other event they run even the cat next year. No loss of precious revenue and also this years entrants will be pacified to a far greater degree.
KTG have improved their act with sportives because they had a poor reputation for a while but things like this will put them back in the avoid category.

But they will lose revenue by doing what you're suggesting, and that is probably at the heart of their decision.
There is a maximum number of entrants to these sportives. If KtG allow a mass transfer onto next year's Cheshire Cat for example, a lot of people will take this up. This will then result in a cap on "paying" entrants in 2014 although KtG will have the same costs as usual.

KtG are in a position where they will either lose money or reputation. At the moment they are choosing to lose reputation. If they were smart they should engage with this year's entrants and explain exactly why they can't be more flexible. Hiding their head in the sand just worsens the reputational damage.

Steve H

Large Member
Think I may be in the minority here, but I'm going to stick up for the organising company here...

They have offered to organise a large cycling event. We have accepted this offer and paid them some money to do so. They have incurred considerable expenditure - hiring staff, preparing the event, hiring venues, liaising with local authorities, emergency services, local businesses etc. I would suspect that the majority of their costs are already sunk - some will be saved, but I suspect most will be sunk. The weather is not their fault - they have made the only sensible decision possible to delay the event. This is a risk that them and all of us knew was a possibility with any event. They have offered two alternatives to everyone as free transfers. This may not be ideal for everyone, but I think is reasonable.

I've ridden quite a few kilo to go events and overall had very positive experience of all of them. I think the criticisms voiced here and elsewhere are pretty harsh. They are a commercial enterprise, but not a massive set of corporate fat cats. I suspect they will be running at a loss for this event and that we should cut them a bit of slack.

Anyway - that's my view...

billy1561

BB wrecker
Taking all that into account Steve and i understand your point of view, their lack of communication to emails is ignorant and does not do their image any good.
Right or wrong it could and should have been handled better imo.

Tarbo

Here's the facebook page set up to recieve complaints regarding The Cheshire Cat.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/432783970141923/

My account has been refunded after taking the matter up with my credit company. However, as the sum is under £100, the decision is at the discretion of the credit company. It is worth a try though.

zombiemiked

It was clearly stated in the T's and C's that no refund would be made. They responded within a few days of cancellation and offered an alternative - just what they state they will do.

Those who are bitching and whining need to MTFU and get on with it.

Think I may be in the minority here, but I'm going to stick up for the organising company here...

They have offered to organise a large cycling event. We have accepted this offer and paid them some money to do so. They have incurred considerable expenditure - hiring staff, preparing the event, hiring venues, liaising with local authorities, emergency services, local businesses etc. I would suspect that the majority of their costs are already sunk - some will be saved, but I suspect most will be sunk. The weather is not their fault - they have made the only sensible decision possible to delay the event. This is a risk that them and all of us knew was a possibility with any event. They have offered two alternatives to everyone as free transfers. This may not be ideal for everyone, but I think is reasonable.

I've ridden quite a few kilo to go events and overall had very positive experience of all of them. I think the criticisms voiced here and elsewhere are pretty harsh. They are a commercial enterprise, but not a massive set of corporate fat cats. I suspect they will be running at a loss for this event and that we should cut them a bit of slack.

Anyway - that's my view...

I notice that the 100 mile route has been altered. It's now not going through Delamere Forest and not doing the Yeld. Instead it is taking in a longer ride after Mow Cop the other side of Congleton taking in a small part of the peaks. Guess to avoid the LCL.

john59

Guru
The medium route has been increased to 76 miles as well, it now goes over to Tittesworth reservoir.
The weather forecast is looking good, maybe a bit to warm. :bicycle:

John

Top Bottom