England : Cheshire 2013 Cheshire Cat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
The weathrr forcast is starting to look a bit better, might be dry but still very cold.

endoman

If the forecast stays like it is, -3 to 0 deg c, then I shall not be bothering, zero training benefit to flogging yourself in those sorts of temperatures. Not to mention the risk of ice etc.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looks a much flatter route than last few years. It's missing out Winkle and from last year Gunn hill. You've got Mow Cop, then another hill, and then that's it. When it went over to Rushton Spenser, you had Mow, two other climbs, Rushton, Wincle, then flat.

OK you've now got the run further North to Delamere, it's lumpy, but this is Manchester 100 routes.

Main issue on Mow Cop is numbers, but the newer starting arrangements should sort it, I believe it helped last year. The year prior was chaos, and I found it difficult getting past the bodies - a case of letting a gap open, and staying in it.

If it's cold, then you'll be glad it's not going round Wincle - lots of potential ice from field run offs - did a run up that way a few weeks before the Cat a couple of years ago - well dodgy.

Good luck !

Easterly wind will be interesting.

Roughly speaking, first 25 into it, next 50 wind behind you. Last 25 (including drag from Tattenhall to Burwardsly) into it again and it is forecast to pick up windspeed by a couple of mph.

My goal-to complete the corse. But I remember the event passing my house last year and this year will be a far cry from the balmy 18 deg.C.of last.

john59

Guru
I went for a ride on the 100km route today. The wind was from the east so it was in your face for the first 30 km or so. As for Mow Cop I got as far as the ‘The Cheshire View’, the road has been well gritted and may be needed if the temperatures drop any more. Cracking views from the top of Mow cop with a few snow flurries.
An average speed of 23km/h. Now to recover for Sunday!

John

Markymark13

Last time I was on mow cop it had been well gritted and I struggled to get any traction without weaving. Fingers crossed there is no need for grit on Sat night or else it will be chaos.

The majority of the roads in the area, with the easterly wind, are at least dry for the most part. Which is something, if the weather remains the same.

G3CWI

Veteran
The event has been cancelled until Sunday, July 7th. I think this is a wise move considering the forecast.

John

Sorry to hear that - but it makes good sense. It's pretty chilly out and the forecast is poor. I work a stone's throw from Mow Cop and have several colleagues who live there, they get very twitchy at the slightest mention of snow and all disappear off home.

Upstream

My understanding (and I could be wrong here) is that they are not legally obligated to offer a refund. That having been said, I believe that the moral thing to do, would be to offer those who are unable to make the new date either the opportunity to switch to one of their other sportives, a refund or at the very least a "credit" that they could use against any sportive booking over the next 12 months.

Top Bottom