England : Cheshire 2013 Cheshire Cat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Upstream

I hope we can change our start zones. We'll be arriving in one car so one would end up having to hang around for at least an hour which would be a real pain after driving 90 mins to get there.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Does anybody use race belts instead of pinning their numbers to their jerseys or is that more of a tri thing? Just thought to save putting holes in my jersey...

I've got a set of Endura Race Snaps from the Etape Pennines - they clip numbers on without making a hole. Not seen them for sale though

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Bugger!

Not enough time (or decent weather) to get training in means Im not going to do Mow Cop - it would be a fools errand for me. Im struggling with stile cop road over cannock chase at 9% for less distance.

Im "copping out" and doing the shorter one. I will be putting effort into getting close to a bronze (Im ok on the flat - gravity kills me on hills)

Bugger.

Bugger, bugger.

G3CWI

Veteran
Bugger!

Not enough time (or decent weather) to get training in means Im not going to do Mow Cop

My mate says that it's not that hard but then again mates often say things like that. It's on my hit list for a nice day. I suspect many if these famous climbs are made more difficult when you are having to watch out for others during events. On a quiet afternoon with no one about they are less intimidating. That's my theory anyway.

zombiemiked

The only issue with The Now Cop on other days is traffic. One about a 100 meters of the climb is 25% but it is enough to do damage :smile:

G3CWI

Veteran
The only issue with The Now Cop on other days is traffic. One about a 100 meters of the climb is 25% but it is enough to do damage :smile:

Presumably because it's the last 100 metres! I might well try it early one Sunday morning in the summer. The only downside would be that the pub will be closed.

zombiemiked

The Horseshoe pass is pretty much a constant 5% so whilst tough on the legs is nothing like The Mow Cop.

Sorry, the above is crap. I was thinking of a different climb. The Horseshoe pass peaks at 22.2%.

zombiemiked

Presumably because it's the last 100 metres! I might well try it early one Sunday morning in the summer. The only downside would be that the pub will be closed.
Well the hill continues after the 25% section but gets flatter pretty quickly.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm down for the Long route - and like @PaulSecteur I'm behind on training, with only a few 50-70 mile rides done so far this year.

However ... I'm still giving it a go!*

* You may find me walking miles 80-100 or collapsed in a heap, crying.

400bhp

Guru
I'm down for the Long route - and like @PaulSecteur I'm behind on training, with only a few 50-70 mile rides done so far this year.

However ... I'm still giving it a go!*

* You may find me walking miles 80-100 or collapsed in a heap, crying.

You'll be absolutely fine. All the hills are over within 35 miles. They do come thick and fast though so make sure you pace yourself so that you have plenty in the tank for the last 65 miles.

400bhp

Guru
My mate says that it's not that hard but then again mates often say things like that. It's on my hit list for a nice day. I suspect many if these famous climbs are made more difficult when you are having to watch out for others during events. On a quiet afternoon with no one about they are less intimidating. That's my theory anyway.

Spot on that.

It's [Mow Cop in particular] also difficult because of the number of cyclists on the road, which means it's difficult to pick a line, see more than a few yards in front of you and go at your own pace.

Top Bottom