England : Cheshire 2013 Cheshire Cat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cat-2013-poster-461px.gif
Bang! Before you know it sportive riders are talking about 2013 and that’s because traditionally the Wiggle Cheshire Cat is the big sportive season opener here in Britain. Talking of tradition we adopt our regular 1st November date for entries opening; but the event itself is both traditional and new for 2013. ‘The Cat’ keeps in all the best bits but we've added a some spice for 2013 – more on that story later!

With 3,250 riders choosing to get on their bikes at ‘The Cat’ in 2012, it’s now one of Britain’s biggest sportive challenges. Through the winter we’re going to be saying more about the detail of what’s new but to be sure of getting your ride booked go to www.kilotogo.com from 9am on 1st November 2012.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I'll be in for that. Nice start to the season.

Something to look forward to over the dark months.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This is on my list as a prep event for the Etape du Dales. I'll probably enter the Long event and aim for a Silver. If not, it'll be the Medium and aim for Gold.

There, I've set my stall out. Now watch me wobble round in about 10 hours!

I am going to have a dabble at the 2013 Cheshire Cat.
I think the mow cop climb may find me out but atleast i can cycle home from The Alex start/finish line.

Something to keep a challenge going through the winter too!

Markymark13

Not done a sportive before, but like the sound of this. Either the middle or longer one most probably. Edging towards the middle for now as I am a relatively new convert from mtb to road. No problem with distance or hills, its just the distance and the hills which can be a pain :laugh:

Oh I am currently running a 52-39 upfront and a 12-26 on the rear. May change for a compact early next year though as want to do Hard Knott and other Lakeland climbs in May. Guess Mow Cop would be pretty hard without one as well?

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Oh I am currently running a 52-39 upfront and a 12-26 on the rear. May change for a compact early next year though as want to do Hard Knott and other Lakeland climbs in May.
You might want to have a look at THIS May ride if you're interested in Lakeland passes :wacko:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I might do the Cheshire Cat, not sure, will see if anyone in the club is doing it and if so, will probably sign on and ride it in the group. Not keen on Sportives but this one is a bit of a climb-a-thon so it is tempting.

400bhp

Guru
I might do the Cheshire Cat, not sure, will see if anyone in the club is doing it and if so, will probably sign on and ride it in the group. Not keen on Sportives but this one is a bit of a climb-a-thon so it is tempting.

Rob - my experience of last year's was pretty negative. I did it on my own and wouldn't do it again on my own.

And all the climbs are over in the first 40 miles, which makes the 100 miler a grind.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
If you're on your own, like 400bph above, then it can be a bit lonely.

I did the Medium distance on my own, 'cos I couldn't find the others from here - but it was fine. I rode this (and the Evans King of the Pennines) with people I met en route.

However, if you put 'Cycle Chat' as the team/club name on the entry form they'll put you into the start group with other CycleChatters who are doing the same distance.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Rob - my experience of last year's was pretty negative. I did it on my own and wouldn't do it again on my own.

And all the climbs are over in the first 40 miles, which makes the 100 miler a grind.

I see where you are coming from, 100 miler's are a bit boring, on long rides I find the boredom more of a challenge than the actual ride tbh, hence preferring to be with a group of people I know for a bit of banter and stuff.

TBH the climbs are a mixed blessing, nice challenge, but also dangerous (esp the steep ones like Mow Cop) with people stalling, falling off, walking in the middle of the road, random changes of line, weaving all over etc.

400bhp

Guru
I see where you are coming from, 100 miler's are a bit boring, on long rides I find the boredom more of a challenge than the actual ride tbh, hence preferring to be with a group of people I know for a bit of banter and stuff.

TBH the climbs are a mixed blessing, nice challenge, but also dangerous (esp the steep ones like Mow Cop) with people stalling, falling off, walking in the middle of the road, random changes of line, weaving all over etc.

Agree (not on the 100 miler being boring, i like them), and you will be going up Mow Cop faster than most too.

The actual price of entry isn't that bad - free "technical" food at the 3 stops (just take something savoury as it's all sugary crap) and (last year) a SiS 750ml bottle with gels inside, a buff &some cleaners.

Top Bottom