England : Cheshire 2013 Cheshire Cat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

endoman

Entered long one, route looks to have changed quite a bit from last year,

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just looked at the route, looks like the Manchester 100 from Delamere, and the hills have more or less gone, no Wincle or Macc Forrest.

Steve H

Large Member
Did somebody use the word chubby and my name in the same sentence?!?

Why how very dare you!:cry:

When I went to collect my medal after the event, I asked the bloke handing them out whether I was the biggest bloke who'd got a medal that day. He said no, but I'm not sure whether he was just being polite or not!

So here's my tactic for lugging a big body up Mow Cop. Prior to the start of the Killer Mile, stop - take off a couple of layers, cos it's going to get hot. Neck a couple of gels and have a long drink. Make sure you are on a triple with 30 at the front and at least 28 at the back. Set off really slowly. Most people hurtle up the shallower part of the climb at the beginning too fast and then blow up before they even get to the really steep bit at the top. Straight into the easiest gear and just gently climb very slowly concentrating on keeping the heart rate under control. Build a rhythm and just keep the pace as easy as you can. When you get to the really steep bit, you have to stand up, find a line that dodges the walkers and wobblers and go for it. I hit an all time max heart rate on this steep bit, but it felt fantastic as soon as I knew I was going to make it!!!

billy1561

BB wrecker
Did somebody use the word chubby and my name in the same sentence?!?

Why how very dare you!:cry:

When I went to collect my medal after the event, I asked the bloke handing them out whether I was the biggest bloke who'd got a medal that day. He said no, but I'm not sure whether he was just being polite or not!

So here's my tactic for lugging a big body up Mow Cop. Prior to the start of the Killer Mile, stop - take off a couple of layers, cos it's going to get hot. Neck a couple of gels and have a long drink. Make sure you are on a triple with 30 at the front and at least 28 at the back. Set off really slowly. Most people hurtle up the shallower part of the climb at the beginning too fast and then blow up before they even get to the really steep bit at the top. Straight into the easiest gear and just gently climb very slowly concentrating on keeping the heart rate under control. Build a rhythm and just keep the pace as easy as you can. When you get to the really steep bit, you have to stand up, find a line that dodges the walkers and wobblers and go for it. I hit an all time max heart rate on this steep bit, but it felt fantastic as soon as I knew I was going to make it!!!
That's a brilliant effort that Steve.
I am very similar weight to you and i barely got 200 yards past the crossing before i hit the bushes trying to unclip. I'm a lot fitter than 12 months ago and half a stone lighter but i thionk it's still beyond me.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'd echo SteveH's method - I did exactly the same.

There were walkers/fallers all over, particularly at the first bit where it gets steep. I did it on 34x28 and as long as you're steady you'll get there. It's the mad ones who try to race from the crossing who stop/fall/walk/cry

Top Bottom