England : Cheshire 2013 Cheshire Cat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tigger

Über Member
Hi everyone. Thinking of doing this again next year. Has anyone got a link to the route - I can't open it on the K2G website and can't find any on google? The profile looks like its changed a lot since last year... Mow Cop after 15 miles and then thats it for the climbing???

Upstream

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and the Cheshire Cat will be my first sportive. I rode a 70 mile charity event a few years ago but I'm a little concerned about Mow Cop as my lowest ratio is 39 / 28. I'd be grateful for any advice and / or comments.
Thanks.

Steve H

Large Member
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and the Cheshire Cat will be my first sportive. I rode a 70 mile charity event a few years ago but I'm a little concerned about Mow Cop as my lowest ratio is 39 / 28. I'd be grateful for any advice and / or comments.
Thanks.
It's going to depend on how fit and strong you are. I'd have no chance with 39/28, but there are people who do get up with those gears. The rest of the medium route is pretty flat, so I guess the worse that can happen is you have to push for a few hundred yards. There will be plenty of other pushes, so nothing to be ashamed of.

Still a few more months to go, so get out and get some hill training done!

billy1561

BB wrecker
It's going to depend on how fit and strong you are. I'd have no chance with 39/28, but there are people who do get up with those gears. The rest of the medium route is pretty flat, so I guess the worse that can happen is you have to push for a few hundred yards. There will be plenty of other pushes, so nothing to be ashamed of.

Still a few more months to go, so get out and get some hill training done!
I pushed my bike up 3 other flat bits :tongue: Wincle was one of them i remember

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Last year I did Mow Cop on 34 (compact) x 28, it may have even been 34x25. Doing on 39x28 should be fine as long as you've practised on hills.

Also, I'd echo Steve H's suggestions below:

Set off really slowly - once you've crossed the railway tracks. Most people hurtle up the shallower part of the climb at the beginning too fast and then blow up before they even get to the really steep bit at the top. Straight into the easiest gear and just gently climb very slowly concentrating on keeping the heart rate under control. Build a rhythm and just keep the pace as easy as you can. When you get to the really steep bit, you have to stand up, find a line that dodges the walkers and wobblers and go for it. I hit an all time max heart rate on this steep bit, but it felt fantastic as soon as I knew I was going to make it!!!

billy1561

BB wrecker
Think they've re-routed this year though. There is only Mow Cop as a big hill this year for the medium route. There are still some other climbs on the 100 miler.
Yeah your right Steve. You doing it again?

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Ive spent hours looking at this and have decided i am just to tight to pay the £34.00 for a ride through the lanes.
Putting it in the same list as the Train Up Snowden & the London Tourist bus , always say i am going to do it then when i see the price say "next Year"

That's it,been and gone and done it. Registered for 1st ever sportive and gone for the 100. What am I doing? Hopefully will see some of you on the day. 11 weeks and counting

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
That's it,been and gone and done it. Registered for 1st ever sportive and gone for the 100. What am I doing? Hopefully will see some of you on the day. 11 weeks and counting

If you've put CycleChat as your team, then you should be starting with others from here. I'm down to do the 100 as well.

Yes I have, so looking forward to seeing you there. this will be the slowest 100 in the history of sportive riding but I am preparing for it by getting the miles in and am determined to do it.

Upstream

Thanks for the advice guys - I'm looking forward to the challenge. In terms of preparation I tend to get a 30 mile or so ride in one of the days over the weekend and usually one short ride during the week on an evening. For the rest of the week I generally do between 30 mins and one hour each evening on a spin bike.

A few years ago I did a Birmingham to Cheltenham charity ride. Unfortunately I did it on a mountainbike and whilst it was very comfortable - I found it very tough, particularly one long and dragging hill through the cotswolds at around the 50 mile mark.

Is anyone else having a problem viewing the route on the Kilo to Go website? I am registered, can log in and can even view the profile of the route but not the actual route map. I have paid entry fee.

Top Bottom