England : Cheshire 2013 Cheshire Cat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billy1561

BB wrecker
I'd echo SteveH's method - I did exactly the same.

There were walkers/fallers all over, particularly at the first bit where it gets steep. I did it on 34x28 and as long as you're steady you'll get there. It's the mad ones who try to race from the crossing who stop/fall/walk/cry
My bike is 34 x 28 i think. Still hate those bloody hills though!

Thats me booked in for the 100 miler.

Now i just need to knuckle down to a winter cycling regime and lose another stone and all will be well with the world.

tjcafferkey

Regular
I've signed up to this, first time doing it. Forgot to state 'CycleChat' though!

Still looking for some events to do before hand, signed up to the Cumbria Cracker for the end of this month to give me some motivation.

lanternerouge

Veteran
I've signed up to this, first time doing it. Forgot to state 'CycleChat' though!

Still looking for some events to do before hand, signed up to the Cumbria Cracker for the end of this month to give me some motivation.

TJ, You should be able to edit the team you are riding for if you log in to Kilotogo.

Markymark13

I have just registered for the middle distance event. The guy I am doing it with did not fancy the long one. Rode the Cat and Fiddle today, shame it does not go up there anymore. Should be good though.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Did somebody use the word chubby and my name in the same sentence?!?

So here's my tactic for lugging a big body up Mow Cop. Prior to the start of the Killer Mile, stop - take off a couple of layers, cos it's going to get hot. Neck a couple of gels and have a long drink. Make sure you are on a triple with 30 at the front and at least 28 at the back. Set off really slowly. Most people hurtle up the shallower part of the climb at the beginning too fast and then blow up before they even get to the really steep bit at the top. Straight into the easiest gear and just gently climb very slowly concentrating on keeping the heart rate under control. Build a rhythm and just keep the pace as easy as you can. When you get to the really steep bit, you have to stand up, find a line that dodges the walkers and wobblers and go for it. I hit an all time max heart rate on this steep bit, but it felt fantastic as soon as I knew I was going to make it!!!

Quality advice , going to sign up to the ride soon and gona follow your advice it to the letter in the hope of getting up the famous hill.

Top Bottom