2013 CX model advise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

Having just read Eddy's post I'd have to disagree entirely about BB30.

My Cannondale CAAD10 shipped with BB30, (Cannondale designed the God forsaken set up), and I had no end of problems with it. I was constantly having to strip, clean and grease it to stop squeaks, creaks and groans. I've now converted it to Hollowtech II and it's been absolutely perfect and hasn't missed a beat, as has every other HTII equipped bike I've ever owned, (about 6 in total).

I'll never have BB30 again. Conversely, my mates Scott F01L has the new Shimano press fit bearings and they have been spot on, it just seems to be BB30.

Just Google BB30 problems to see what I mean. BB30 is the answer to a problem that has never existed. Fine if you're a pro and someone is stripping and re-building your bike daily for you, but absolutely unnecessary and complete bobbins for the average Joe.

Not disagreeing that some bikes with bb30 have had problems with clicking and i think now they have gone with press-fit30 but hoping there not all bad as my new bike has bb30 fitted.
Did you ever try another set of bearings?

Not disagreeing that some bikes with bb30 have had problems with clicking and i think now they have gone with press-fit30 but hoping there not all bad as my new bike has bb30 fitted.
Did you ever try another set of bearings?
Yeah I got new bearings under warranty, fitted them and they were the same within very little mileage. There was talk of a batch of dry bearings knocking around last year, but I don't know if there was any truth in that.

I'd presume the earlier issues have now been resolved, but sadly for me it got to the stage whereby I lost all faith in BB30. I'll stick to what's never let me down.

I hope yours is OK Eddy :thumbsup:

U

User6179

Yeah I got new bearings under warranty, fitted them and they were the same within very little mileage. There was talk of a batch of dry bearings knocking around last year, but I don't know if there was any truth in that.

I'd presume the earlier issues have now been resolved, but sadly for me it got to the stage whereby I lost all faith in BB30. I'll stick to what's never let me down.

I hope yours is OK Eddy :thumbsup:

The press-fit30 is now the same as the shimano version with the bearings in a nylon cup instead of pressing directly into frame so I take it the clicking came from the cartridge-frame contact rather than the cartridge-crank contact and thats why like the ht2 press-fit system there is now the nylon cups.
I do have a brand new ht2 crank i bought but didnt use so if my bb starts clicking i will just do what you did and get an adaptor :thumbsup:
cheers

U

User6179

darn it, was sooo close to settling on the Boardman at £810 until then.

Whatever I go with will need to be EASY to maintain. As far as mechanical maintenance is concerned I'm your original "Below average Joe".

I'm the guy who helps his kids building lego kits and always has bits of left over.....

£1000 if you can find one! Cube cross race.

11994-33612-full-cube-crossrace-293.jpg

madguern

Hi , picked up a Whyte Charing Cross 2012 for £720, great for the commute and winter trainer, got a set of Maxis CX pros and took off-road last weekend. Bit of a strange angle on the head tube but handles really well off-road almost as good as my MTB. Wanted a boardman CX but out of stock on Wiggle, not in UK so no Halfords to deal with. As people have said would like to pick up a 2012 model and get a bargin

DTD

Veteran
I've got a CAADX 105 – did have a clicky bottom bracket too. Otherwise I really like it.
However I'd deffo look at 2012 bikes, some nice discounts about.

And those Cubes look well tasty!

xxmimixx, did you get the Cube Cross Race Disc? I really like the look of it, would be interested to know more...

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
I'm a big Boardman Team CX fan, (since I OWN one I would be :whistle:) , it's a lot of bike for the price. I did have issues with the BB30 bearings, (It's been well documented that a large batch of bearings were sent out dry last year and caused no end of problems for people who bought bikes with this set up). but I swapped the FSA bearing out for sram ones and have never looked back, and haven't had a single glitch since.

It's a beautiful bike to ride, smooth on tarmac (25mm Ultra Gator skins help) and can take on the rough off road stuff too with ease. Hills are not a problem and getting used to the double tap system on took a few rides. I looked at loads and tested a lot of different manufacturers CX bikes before I settled on the Boardman and after owning it for a year I know I made the right choice as it's still a pleasure to take out on the roads.

There are a number of Boardman Team CX owners on this forum and I believe each one will say the same thing .. It's a beautiful bike to own :thumbsup:

xxmimixx, did you get the Cube Cross Race Disc? I really like the look of it, would be interested to know more...

yes I did and absolutely love it! The tyres roll so easy on country lanes, in bad weather or after bad weather when there is a lot of crap flowing on the road. Did a very muddy duathlon too and a LOT of bikes had to stop to clear their brakes, big ring etc and I was just slowly cycling past, chipping away :smile: Also jumped off a few kerbs just to be cheecky and see how the no-suspension feels and is ok.

I mainly bought it for winter training but I think I will use it in summer too and transform my Cube carbon road into my race bike, just need some lovely aero wheels :smile:

860_286555668133843_1108364457_n_zps141072be.jpg

Tarbo

I went for a Kenesis Cross Light Five T. Just bought the frame and carbon forks for £350, stripped my old winter bike down and just swapped the bits over. Got some brakes and wheels / tyres from a mate for £40 :thumbsup: Another mate of mine who works in the LBS built it up and got the bar tape and cables etc for the pricely sum of £50. I also managed to sell the old road wheels and brake calipers to another mate for his winter build for £100, so all in all the bike cost around £350.

Here it is the day after I picked it up

1.jpg

This is what it looked like after last weekend's race -

DSCN5210_zpsc945b2f0.jpg

Mark435

yes I did and absolutely love it! The tyres roll so easy on country lanes, in bad weather or after bad weather when there is a lot of crap flowing on the road. Did a very muddy duathlon too and a LOT of bikes had to stop to clear their brakes, big ring etc and I was just slowly cycling past, chipping away :smile: Also jumped off a few kerbs just to be cheecky and see how the no-suspension feels and is ok.

I mainly bought it for winter training but I think I will use it in summer too and transform my Cube carbon road into my race bike, just need some lovely aero wheels :smile:

860_286555668133843_1108364457_n_zps141072be.jpg
!! HOLY SMOKES :eek: that is well used. It was a toss up for me between the merida cyclocross 4 and the cube. I've ordered the Cube but I'm a bit nervous about the sizing. I'm 180cm tall going with the 59cm frame on order, what do you reckon?
Thanks,
Mark

!! HOLY SMOKES :eek: that is well used. It was a toss up for me between the merida cyclocross 4 and the cube. I've ordered the Cube but I'm a bit nervous about the sizing. I'm 180cm tall going with the 59cm frame on order, what do you reckon?
Thanks,
Mark

i think it might be too big depending on your inside leg.
I am 1.78 and went for the 53 and is perfect. CX have different geometry than road bikes and due to the nature of the cycling you will do (if you go off road) most people go for a size smaller other than larger.
Although a 53 would be small for you, you may wish to consider a 56. Compare the geometry of top tube of your current road bike if you have one and the Cube.
Im very happy with mine, did two Duathlons now one in mud as above and one in snow (on Sunday) and it served me very well.

Top Bottom