2013 Liggett and Sherwin'isms

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Crackle

I've been away (searching for the special ham) so was just wondering if there has been any mention of the benefit of riding within the first 20...
and holding your line, nervous times, trust, final accelaration, years of experience, shoulder to shoulder, yadda yadda.......and the speed they're doing.....

I was in and out of the garden all aftrnoon; hedges, vegetable patch and weeds.

MotoGP (BBC Red Button) and TdF (ITV4) made a welcome respite from all that toil.

It was a dull MotoGP (apart from Valentinik winning again, Cal having a bloody good go and Jorge practically re-inventing masochism on his way to fifth... Largely processional,

I just tuned in and out of the TdF while resting and as always, I rather enjoyed the coverage and the commentary. I don't mind being told what I already know... And I don't mind silly mistakes. The race was what one might expect of a first day (sans prologue). The commentary was neither offensive nor amateurish.

I wonder whether the folk who moan about the commentators get some sort of schoolboy thrill from spotting the errors or statements of the obvious, mixed with a tinge of envy that the broadcasters don't ask them.

Or is this thread what we used to refer to as a 'measuring of cocks' game, where I can find a worse error than you.

I've probably upset someone with that observation, but there is such a thing as taking sport on the telly too seriously. It's sport on the telly.

Noodley

Or is this thread what we used to refer to as a 'measuring of cocks' game, where I can find a worse error than you...there is such a thing as taking sport on the telly too seriously. It's sport on the telly.

Did it ever occur to you that we might just be taking the piss out of them cos they are really crap?...there is no "measuring of cocks", merely observation that they are truly awful.

ITV4 have decided to pay to receive their commentary when there are many more talented commentators available to them, many of whom already provide commentary for other ITV4 cycle racing. I would imagine that Liggett and Sherwen's US-based employers may have had a contract with ITV4 covering several seasons, but their continued commentary in light of their promotion of St. Lance of Intravenous Transfusion, and their continued defence of him despite the USADA investigation, lessens ITV4 coverage. There is little I can do about this, other than take the piss out of them. It may be juvenile, but it's fun.

oldroadman

Veteran
As well as S&L, a look at Eurosport today (where's Harmon, D?). Carlton Kirby when he gets excited is turning into the new Duffield, great fun. Sounds like one day he will explode. Which is unlikely with the first mentioned pair, who can bring a degree of flatness unsurpassed by almost anyone, except for the bloke who covers the Premier stuff for BC.

pally83

Über Member
I liked the bit when they were obviously staring out of the window at busgate and almost completely missed the big crash... Why can't Imlach and Boardman do the job?

wakou

Über Member
Surely anyone is better than Hugh "tapping out a rhythm Porter" ?

TVC

Surely anyone is better than Hugh "tapping out a rhythm Porter" ?
Porter and Liggett, now there's a combination, they could work together doing bit and bit.

Sherwin could always get a job reading Lonely Planet guides out loud, he seems quite practiced at it already.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

...and Boom takes it for the 2nd day running...

Yep, he did and just like yesterday, you called everyone but him.

Noodley

"There's Danny van Poppel; to my reckoning he's the youngest rider to take part in the Tour de France since the 2nd World War". Yeh Paul, I'm sure that's not written down for you. Nobber.

Top Bottom