2013 Shimano Sora 3500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Craig-SR

Does anyone have one of these groupsets?

I bought a second hand Giant Defy 4 2010 last year and i want to start upgrading the groupset.

Is it worth upgrading to the 2013 Sora or hunting round ebay/cycle websites buying older 105 parts?

potsy

Rambler
I don't have it but it's pretty much the older version of Tiagra (9 speed)
It's not the first place I would look to upgrade tbh, unless you really want to :thumbsup:

OP
OP
C

Craig-SR

The wheels were already upgraded when I bought it so I am happy with them. It has 2300 shifters and they aren't very, I want smoother gear changes. Any upgrade on the shifters mad you have to change from 8 to 9 or 10 speed. I am quite happy to get parts as and when good deals appear

Broadside

Guru
The gear shift will not get much smoother from 2300-Sora (I have experience of both). Go for Tiagra minimum or preferably 105, but you will need to upgrade the entire drivetrain from 8spd to 10 spd. I currently use Sora 3500 and it really is no different to Sora 3400 or Shimano 2300. Take a proper step up or save your cash.

OP
OP
C

Craig-SR

The gear shift will not get much smoother from 2300-Sora (I have experience of both). Go for Tiagra minimum or preferably 105, but you will need to upgrade the entire drivetrain from 8spd to 10 spd. I currently use Sora 3500 and it really is no different to Sora 3500 or Shimano 2300. Take a proper step up or save your cash.

So would an older version of 105 would still be a bigger improvement than an upgrade to 2013 sora?

Broadside

Guru
In my opinion yes. Tiagra 9spd is a lot slicker than Sora 2013, so if you go for 105 10 spd it would be a better bet.

My Sora 3400 broke last year and I moved on to Sora 3500 chiefly because it was inexpensive as I am thinking about replacing the entire bike. But for the extra £50 for the shifters (plus the additional costs for going to a 10spd drivertrain like front derailleur and new chain/cassette) I wish I had gone for 105.

It is ultimately your choice but all Sora 3500 will give you is paddle rather than thumb shift, don't expect it to be smoother.

I have BTW ridden with last years 105 for a few hundred miles also so I have experience of the difference.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Before shelling out for lots new kit, try fitting new cables and outers to your 2300 stuff. I have two 2300 bikes (both with sora mechs) and the one with new cables shifts far more smoothly than the one using old ones - to the point I quite often shift two gears when I switch to the nicer set up after riding the other one for a while.

If that doesn't work then you can just transfer the cables and outers over to your new shifters/mechs later :smile:

OP
OP
C

Craig-SR

I replaced the cables and it only made a slight improvement. Had it serviced as well. Not sure what to do for the best. I will need new cassette and chainset to move to 9 or 10 speed.

OP
OP
C

Craig-SR

Went into a bike shop today and was trying the sora 2013 shifters and the Tiagra ones, now i am thinking towards the Tiagra groupset now.

Top Bottom