2014 Boardman CX Team Freewheel Pawl Issue?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Every now and then (and increasingly often), I seem to lack drive between the chainring and cassette/rear wheel. On occasion I have a sudden rotation of the crank, never a huge amount but maybe 1/4 - 1/3 of a rotation with no associated turn of the rear wheel.
It is not the chain slipping (chain & cassette approx 600 miles old and cleaned often enough), and it doesn't occur on gear changes. It does not occur on any specific gear of the cassette or chainring.

Is it likely that the 'pawls' are sticking? The bike is just shy of 7000 miles and I have yet to do anything more than replace chains/cassette and BB. The hubs are untouched and still run smoothly. Is it reasonably straightforward to check these things?

Yes and yes.

Post pictures of hub and we'll tell you how to open it.

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Yes and yes.

Post pictures of hub and we'll tell you how to open it.

Thanks:okay:. I'm assuming it's an SRAM hub, it's going to be a couple of weeks before I get the chance to strip the bike down as it's a daily ride, so will have to survive until I get a few days off.

Tangoup51

The freewheel on the boardman is absolute ****

Mine went after 1,000 miles. Made all sorts of metallic clonks and clicks. Still does now. - Despite having not been used in rainy conditions I think cleaning and general moisture had seeped into it. Poor seals probably.

I stripped it down couldn't get far though. Needs a 7/16" allen key (11mm) to take the hub body off. I never got past that point.

went to LBS then they told me that there may be a possibility they couldn't replace it and would need a whole new wheel. Since they were unsure what kind of generic-offbrand ripoff hub they had used. On the whole, halfords would replace it -(i imagine) but never got round to doing it since it shushed down.

Though from what I can tell, the freehub body is one tier above poundland and would be as well branded and recognized as the rubber seals on your Halford hubs.

That said - I'm going to run mine until it either locks up the wheel and/or gives me a strong form of engine braking -- then throw the wheel at the local teenager behind the bikehut counter with £20 attached to the spokes via cable ties.

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Finally managed to get time to strip down. Hopefully you can help out here @Yellow Saddle :okay:. I have removed the axle and bearings, but cannot remove the freehub body to access the pawls. I'm working on the theory that I shouldn't need to remove the unit from the wheel (but have an 11mm allen key on route just in case. FWIW I cannot simply pull the freehub body off, not using hand power anyway...
CX Team Freehub 2.jpg

CX Team Freehub 1.jpg

That's a sealed unit and removing it won't give you access to the pawls. However a good squirt or XYZ 99 and draining it will probably do it good.

To remove it you have to stick an allen key down it's throat. There are two sizes for that, 11mm and 14mm. Don't be fooled by the appearance of the hole. It won't display a hex hole but a double-hex hole into which the allen key will fit. Loosening is standard righty tighty, lefty loosey.

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
That's a sealed unit and removing it won't give you access to the pawls. However a good squirt or XYZ 99 and draining it will probably do it good.

To remove it you have to stick an allen key down it's throat. There are two sizes for that, 11mm and 14mm. Don't be fooled by the appearance of the hole. It won't display a hex hole but a double-hex hole into which the allen key will fit. Loosening is standard righty tighty, lefty loosey.

I did wonder if it was sealed. I believe it's a 'Formula' freehub. Ho hum, will run it to death and make sure I keep cable ties in the saddle bag.

Cheers

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
U can buy Formula freehub bodies

I can't find a UK supplier, added to that the part has no identifying numbers on it.

[QUOTE 4949564, member: 45"]Aren't free hubs pretty generic?

If you've got that far I'd just whip it off and put a decent one on.[/QUOTE]
No there's lots of different types.
You can rebuild a freehub but you need to make a special tool to do it and a lot of patience to replace all the 1/8th bearings. Even then it's not always successful as the bearing seats are often shot by the time the bikes owner realizes there's a problem.
If anyone fancies a go you need to remove any bearing cover and expose the bearing race/seat. It'll have two notches in it. Find an old socket and cut it to fit in these. Place freehub in a vice and undo the race with your new tool....it's left hand thread.
After that it's clean,grease, new balls and reassemble, you may have to re-shim it (that's what the washers inside are for) if there is any slack when its done up

Levo-Lon

Guru
im sure i freed one of these hubs with a gt85 type sprayed into some small holes in the base of the free hub..you do need to remove it for access.

i think mine was the shimano 400 series hub but it was a ball bearing job with the 11mm bolt.
after i got oil into it it go a lot louder but freed the pawls so i was happy being a clicky hub fan

Top Bottom