2015 Giant Defy 1 or 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny B

Hi I am new into biking and looking to purchase my first road bike and can't decide between the Defy 1 or 2? Is the 105 group set on the defy 1 plus better wheels and tyres worth £150 compared to Tiagra on the defy 2. I currently ride twice a week on my MTB and am up to 30 mile rides. Any help would be appreciated?

bpsmith

Veteran
Last year, not so much, but this year I believe that the Defy 1 now has the new 11 speed 105 kit and the Defy 2 still has the same Tiagra 10 speed kit as before. Defy 1 is also £100 cheaper than previously, but not sure on saving on the Defy 2. As far as the wheels go, that was always the area that the reviews said was lacking on the previous Defy 1. I upgraded my 2014 Defy 1 to Zonda wheels and it made a massive difference. It's something to think about further down the ownership line.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
If you can afford it ( which I'm assuming you can because you're in two minds what to go for) then, no question really .......absolutely go for the defy 1.
I'm pretty sure you won't regret it!
Great bike as many will tell you on here.

OP
OP
Danny B

Danny B

Thanks for the input, Raleighnut I have checked and on the Defy 1 they have a FSA, Gossamer Pro, 34/50 crank set not the 105 ?

Drago

Legendary Member
Defy 1, or Felt F85 Tiagra. D2's a cracking bike, but is a lot more expensive than the almost identically equipped and equally cracking Felt, which is as cheap as £540 in some emporia.

bpsmith

Veteran
Or the Defy 1 2014 is still around for £699 if pushed on price, or swap the wheels with the difference.

Would still rather have the 2015 model with the new 11 speed 105 though, if it were me.

huwsparky

Über Member
I agree. If you can afford the best bike then get it. That way you won't have that feeling that you should have bought the other one...

Spending that kind of money on anything, I believe it's important to be happy with your purchase.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks for the input, Raleighnut I have checked and on the Defy 1 they have a FSA, Gossamer Pro, 34/50 crank set not the 105 ?
Yeah I keep toying with the idea of swapping to the Ultegra triple I've got sat in the shed but I don't really want a triple on that bike I'm happy with the 52-42 105s performance (I don't have to look at it) and wanted to keep the triple as a spare for the tourer. Its the 105 mechs that are worth the extra over the tiagra ones, I've got a set from the 80s and 2 sets that are recent 1 short cage and another medium, none of em have ever missed a gear which coming from the old Simplex-Huret days I find reassuring. I've also got an FSA Gossamer spare but that's a black one (someone bought a bike with a standard 53-39 then decided they wanted a compact and the guy at my LBS gave me the used one that's got @150 miles on it)

OP
OP
Danny B

Danny B

Thanks for all the advice having contacted my LBS I am testing the Defy 1 in the next couple of days just to confirm this is the one for me.

bpsmith

Veteran
I guessed that you might. So how is it?

I have Ultegra 11 speed on my n+1, but the new 105 version is supposed to be very very close in its abilities!

Top Bottom