2015 Giant Defy 1 or 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daverave

Veteran
Hi. I'm looking to get my first road bike and looking at the 2015 Defy range, which I can get via Cycle to Work scheme. Do I go the whole hog and go for a Defy 1? I'm an amateur (at best) and only done a few 25 mile rides on a hybrid before, but I'm hoping to get into it. I'm also 17 stone 6ft 2, so will the Defy 1 be suitable? Or will it be wasted on me?!

Another (possibly stupid) question... Does the bike come with pedals/cleats? Or do I buy these (plus shoes) separately? If so, which would you recommend. Cheers!

vickster

Legendary Member
It'll come with basic plastic pedals. If you want clipless, you need to buy the pedals (come with cleats usually) and the shoes. Shoes, do you need to be able to walk any distance off the bike on hard surfaces (presumably possibly as a commuting bike)? Clipless FAQ in the beginners section is the place to go for specifics

Go testride the bikes, see what you think

bpsmith

Veteran
I did exactly that last year, with the Defy 1 on C2W, and really got into it quickly. I hadn't cycled in aeound 15 years and soon found that I was hooked. I think it helped starting with a good bike.

I am only 5' 9", and so I have a weight saving on you, so can't comment properly on that element, but I would imagine that you would not have any problems. Just make sure you try out the sizes and get what fits properly from the outset. Bike comes with cheap pedals and clips. If you want to go clipless then you will need to buy the pedals, which come with cleats, and the shoes. They can be added to the C2W total, as long as they all come in at under £1k.

OP
OP
Danny B

Danny B

The 105 is silk smooth although still bedding in with the wires stretching etc. From all accounts the new 105 is top notch but I can't compare to the Ultegra as I have not ridden a bike with this on.

Daverave. I can't rate the Defy 1 high enough and for the money the 2015 model is very good value. I am not sure if your size is an issue, worth speaking to your LBS for advice. I can tell you the Defy 1 comes with a basic pedal and toe clip. But I have upgraded this straight away to the Shimano R550 cleat pedal (around £50 from shop), and bought a pair of bike shoes separately.
You can get all this in with the cycle to work scheme as accessories and then get the savings this brings but you can only go up to a max of £1000.00 total after that you have to add the extra from your one pocket.
I hope this is of some help.

daverave

Veteran
Many thanks all. A great help. Think I'll go for the Defy 1 plus cleat pedal and shoes as accessories (should total around £925). Any other accessories you would recommend?

vickster

Legendary Member
A big lock (budget £70-100), helmet if you want to wear one, gloves, padded shorts, track pump, mini pump to attach to frame, spare inner tubes, glasses, buff...the list is endless

Insurance for the bike - especially if buying on C2W, talk to your home insurance provider

OP
OP
Danny B

Danny B

A helmet is a must. And then I would say bottle gages and drink bottles. I have had two fitted and drink both over a ride of about 2 hours, you then get into clothing and cycle computers.
Clothing to start with are padded shorts and a top (mine come from Aldi when they have they specials on I think cycling gear is due in in a couple of weeks) these are good value for the money. Cycle computers range from 50 to hundreds of pounds and properly a later thought once you really get into it.

vickster

Legendary Member
You can get a cycle computer for £15 if you are happy with wired and basic info like time spent, average speed

There'll be many who disagree that a cycle helmet is a must, it's not a legal requirement and is an individual choice

Personally, I think membership of British cycling or CTC (£32 for BC Ride) is a must for coverage in case of an accident that damages you/your bike or you damage other's property (which does happen)

Heigue'r

Veteran
@daverave , i have my defy1 a few weeks now, i was 2lbs under your weight, notice the WAS haha, isnt cycling great, but i cannot fault the bike, i hit one or two major bumps on the road when i first started and thought there is no way the bike could not have been damaged by them but sure enough everything is fine,i went for the 2014 edition defy 1 and couldnt be happier, i had a brief experience with a 2014 allez but prefer the defy, just makes you want to get out and ride

Big Nick

Many thanks all. A great help. Think I'll go for the Defy 1 plus cleat pedal and shoes as accessories (should total around £925). Any other accessories you would recommend?

Bottle cage and water bottle, spare inner tubes, bike multitool and mini pump, padded cycle shorts....then you'll be ready for blast off!!

If you're using it for commuting you'll want some mudguards, Giant make a set specifically for the Defy (which is nice), and lights. Why has no one mentioned lights yet?

Top Bottom