2016 Tour de France Route (to be unveiled on 20.10.15)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dragon72

Guru
I always like it when they hit the Vosges or the Jura. Those places have some badass ups and downs and potential to shake up the GC standings.

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
I always like it when they hit the Vosges or the Jura. Those places have some badass ups and downs and potential to shake up the GC standings.

I think it's a very insightful article; my knowledge of riding in France is very much based on the Tour and I had, it would appear incorrectly, assumed that the "best" climbs were included on the route irrespective of "start/end" payments being made. Whilst the article clearly states that the Tour is about much more than the climbs, the climbs do add to the spectacle. I prefer the "up and down" shake-up stages as well - maybe there are better and undiscovered badass up and down roads out there as well - it does tend to seem a bit samey after a while...c'mon Prudhomme get yerself sorted!

oldroadman

Veteran
Might be a case of spectator potential? Some of the lesser known ones are quite narrow with limited places for people. It's bad enough on the well known (and slightly wider) climbs. Then of course there is getting off them, seeing some of the more stupid Giro descents over the years I'm happy that the TdF uses, in the main, relatively safe if technical descents.

oldroadman

Veteran
Agree with Marmion, the "choppy" stages are always the ones where surprises are likely to happen. In a way they are more difficult than a race with two or three big climbs (when everyone knows the likely moves), and much harder, oddly enough. No nice long descents, so no real slack periods!

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Check it out...
Screen Shot 2015-10-20 at 11.05.33.png

Last edited:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Looks good. More height than length. Shorter but tougher. Built for climbers this time around. Quintana's to lose, if he is going for it, although I am sure they are hoping for Pinot or Bardet...

mark c

Über Member
Holiday booked Ferry booked roll on July (just need to book the sun):hyper:

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
Ahead on next week's route announcement, here is an excellent article making the case for less well known climbs to be included in the Tour; as is highlighted in the article there is the potential for the best French climbs in a Grand Tour next year being in the Giro d'Italia - Col Agnel, Col de la Bonette, and Col de la Lombarde.

http://www.podiumcafe.com/2015/10/16/9549365/more-worthy-climbs-ignored-by-the-tour-de-france
Cyclingnews features a few of the less well-known climbs on the 2016 Tour route, and it sounds as if they will play an important part in the stages and not just be a passing comment in the highlights show.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/five-lesser-known-climbs-of-the-2016-tour-de-france/

Top Bottom