2017/18 CX season race reports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
First round of the Western League CX today at Gloucester....

Huge field of riders for this dry sunny & hot event, with lots of riders from the Midlands travelling down to take part.

Good course with mix of technical & fast sections.

IMG_20180902_153523.jpg

IMG_20180902_151257.jpg

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Good work! My weekends are all fully booked at the moment so not sure if/when I'll be able to race this season, which is disappointing. Not that I'm in any kind of shape for it anyway.

I'm in no shape either ( on blood pressure pills etc) but I bought a new bike so I am going for it. The eastern region old men races sell out on the first day of entry, I was logged in whilst sitting at West Ham station this morning at 07:00 buying my entry for the 3rd round. First 3 races are within 5 miles of my house.

1st round of Eastern league at Laindon hills. As the name suggests it was either up or down not a lot of flat. Thoroughly enjoyed myself despite coming firmly in the bottom half. Had a good race with several guys all the way around and was finally beaten on tactics by one of my group who sat behind me for the last lap and jumped me on the line beating me by a wheel. We shook hands and we will see what happens in round 2 which is very flat , which will actually be to his advantage being a large chap. Me looking far too happy below on my new far too loud bike,( well you will certainly see me coming) probably as it was downhill.
orig_26560_8754192585b93ff933f7fd.jpg
orig_26560_11600481005b93ff1c79b7d.jpg

orig_26560_11600481005b93ff1c79b7d.jpg

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
my new far too loud bike,( well you will certainly see me coming)

Presumably that's a Crux? I rode one for a few races last season, loved it. Fantastic colour - got a lot of comments, all positive. Such a shame I had to give it back... :sad:

Yes the Crux elite, there were 3 of them at the races and someone on a Crux expert. Strangely when I first got it and took it for a test ride around the block I was not impressed with the weight of wheels with discs even though I run it tubeless, it was hardly lighter than my old Cannondale aluminium CX9 bike, plus I felt it was a dam sight more un-comfortable. However in the race I found it was brilliant and even though it was hard bumpy ground I did not feel like I had just been given a kicking. Gotta love hydralic discs over my old Canti's. The percieved un-comfortable aspect was just the stiffness of the frame and bolt through axles I think.

Round 2 this Sunday saw a flatish course with 2 hurdles and 2 or 3 dismounts running up steps . I don't like dismounts, it just kills the rhythm. I did not feel great before and the course was not to my liking. The guy who just pipped me last week was far ahead, the flatter course suiting him. I struggled but surprisingly came 1 place higher than last week. Did my usual started slow then after lap 1 started to overtake, rest off the race only 1 person on the same lap as me came past, also as per usual 4 or 5 of the fast guys lapped me. Tried warming up hard but it did not seem to help with my speed on lap 1. Today I was knackered probably meaning I am coming down with something. Anyway here is a picture of me last lap looking really peed off with something ( probably myself, just could not catch that over 60, 12 ft in front of me) . Note some youngster in the background on the same bike. ( they are very easy to spot LOL)
Capturecx.PNG

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Leverhulme park yesterday, Mostly flat and open with a couple of cambered corners. Good and fast.

Final third of the field which would improve if I got my remounts sorted (always been crap at them) but going a lot better than last year.

Them Crux do look the part mind.

Edit to my placings, I took my placing from the result sheet on the day, looks like there have been a few protests, Now 4 places worse off than last week instead of one better, that more reflects the way I felt about the race. Now top of the bottom quarter which is a pain. Mind you they managed to cock up a few of the podiums on the day as well with the guys good naturedly pointing out to the guy handing out prizes who actually came 1st,2nd and 3rd. ( right people, wrong order) . @dan_bo Trouble with the Crux is you have to put up with the odd comment every time you ride it, re-the colour, unfortunately I do not have the ready wit to reply with anything clever.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Edit to my placings, I took my placing from the result sheet on the day, looks like there have been a few protests, Now 4 places worse off than last week instead of one better, that more reflects the way I felt about the race. Now top of the bottom quarter which is a pain. Mind you they managed to cock up a few of the podiums on the day as well with the guys good naturedly pointing out to the guy handing out prizes who actually came 1st,2nd and 3rd. ( right people, wrong order) . @dan_bo Trouble with the Crux is you have to put up with the odd comment every time you ride it, re-the colour, unfortunately I do not have the ready wit to reply with anything clever.

Real men wear pink.

Top Bottom