2019 Goats League - Climb 23 - Passo di Mortirolo (West)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Ride opens for attempts at midnight 3rd June 2019, and closes on Midnight on the 28th July 2019, ride must be completed within that window for it to count otherwise you get the time of the slowest rider plus 5%.

A name that strikes 'fear' into the pro peloton, and is whispered in awe in the back of the team bus. Lance Armstrong in 2004 Said to the Gazetta dello sport
It's a terrible climb...it's perfect for a mountain bike. On the hardest parts, I was riding a 39x27 and I was hurting, really hurting. (Mortirolo) is the hardest climb I've ever ridden. My time up the climb? It's not important; I rode the Mortirolo to have some fun and ride with the 'cicloamatori'...there were a few raindrops, but it was a great day.

It's featured in multiple editions of the Giro, Firstly in 1990 when it was stage 15, and the riders ascended the south side and descended down the west. Due to the steepness of the descent, and the CRASHES :eek: the organisers decided to climb it from Mazzo in subsequent years! Although in 2017 stage 16 did the original ascent from Edolo, and was won by Luis Leon Sanchez The first rider passing the summit in the Giro wins the Cima Pantani, following the death of Pantani in 2004.

Look out for the monument to Pantani erected by the Italian Professional Road Cycling Association in 2006, it's at Km 8 on the climb ;)

Relentless and unforgiving are probably the best words to describe the 13.07Km, 1314m ascent, at an average gradient of 10.6%, it sounds like it's much easier than it is, at times there are sections that ramp up to 21+%

profile.passodelmortirolowest.png

2010 Edition Stage 19 of the Giro, Basso, Nibali, Evans and Scarponi (Among Others)

Post your times in the thread and I'll update the Goats League Spreadsheet

Please include your BRVR User/Display Name to give other riders pacers to chase if they so desire.

Last edited:

ibooij

Über Member
@Aleman, do you have any new rides planned? Thanks!

OP
OP
Aleman

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
I am sure that everyone will be pleased that my Love affair with Italy, has been satisfied, and I've ended it for this year. :cry:

I think that you may be less pleased to hear that I've fallen in love with France :biggrin:

The next 5 :evil::evil:

Col du Lauteret/Galibier
Col du Tourmelet (West)
Cormet de Roselend (North)
Col de Vars (South)
Col de Peyresourde (East)

SmP-62

I am sure that everyone will be pleased that my Love affair with Italy, has been satisfied, and I've ended it for this year. :cry:

I think that you may be less pleased to hear that I've fallen in love with France :biggrin:

The next 5 :evil::evil:

Col du Lauteret/Galibier
Col du Tourmelet (West)
Cormet de Roselend (North)
Col de Vars (South)
Col de Peyresourde (East)
Hi, @Aleman

I think the BRVR guys (@ibooij & Co) are waiting for official announcement of new ride(s).

If I understand correctly, you had following in mind:
- Ride 25: Col Du Lautaret and Col Du Galibier, 17.6.-11.8.
- Ride 26: Col Du Tourmalet (West Side), 24.6.-18.8.
- Ride 27: Cormet de Roselend from Beaufort (North side), 1.7.-25.8.
- Ride 28: Col de Vars (South side), 8.7.-1.9.
- Ride 29: Col de Peyresourde (East side), 15.7.-8.9.

Have a nice day

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
@Aleman 1:26:39

And can i add, you're not making any friends you know? :boxing: I think of all the rides so far this has been the hardest. Lots of pink .... slipping into 20%+ at one point for about 300 metres.

I notice you're not doing the rides yourself though @Aleman ...... scared of your own rides?!? :rofl:

For those following me, good luck. It's going to hurt :B):laugh:

Top Bottom