2019 Structured training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Has any TrainerRoad user on here tried this one out yet? Something in me makes me want to give it a go one rainy day.

6061399F-501E-4600-8AE5-906F95099822.jpeg

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Has any TrainerRoad user on here tried this one out yet? Something in me makes me want to give it a go one rainy day.

View attachment 444516

Too many hours on the turbo for me. Anything over an hour and I prefer to go for an outdoor ride.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
FTP test completed today and I am 3.3 watts above where I was at the end of my structured training last April. I am also 40 watts above where I was same time last year. So a good base and steady progress. I am at 2.5W/KG. So if I hit my weight target for May and I can lift the FTP by another 25 watts then I will hit 3W/kg.

So pleased with current fitness given I have been taking it easy since my last 400km ride in September. The targets also feel achievable. Time to review my plan for next year so it is ready to start next week.

CXRAndy

Guru

View attachment 444516

That duration is for a Pro or an national elite. Most folks will be on their last legs at 2 hours, well I know I am.
I've done 3.5hrs but in zone 2 Trainer Road workouts.
If your ftp is set correctly you will struggle to complete half that workout

I hope I have time to commit to my training plan and get back to or better where I was in 2017. Being a wuss I prefer sporting TT courses that are not on busy roads and I would like to get back to a sub 25minutes 10miles.
Reflecting back on my stubbornness (iron deficiency) as its Hogmanay, I started the year at an FTP of 4.1w/kg, I fell to 2.1w/kg and I've recovered to 3.7w/kg with a month of structured turbore training, so hopefully further training if I have time will close that gap.

CXRAndy

Guru
Its funny that lighter riders probably use Watts/kg whilst bigger riders use Watts alone . I suppose its to do with each number is greater :laugh:

Im currently training to 320ftp level

JhnBssll

Veteran
I'm going in to the new year with an FTP of 220 and weight of 106kg giving a ratio of a little over 2W/kg.

My goal for the year is to achieve 3W/kg by dropping my weight to 95kg and increasing FTP to 285W. This should be achievable with a bit of work, I just need to Try and work out what Zwift plan to start with that will allow me to commute daily without knackering myself too much :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Its funny that lighter riders probably use Watts/kg whilst bigger riders use Watts alone . I suppose its to do with each number is greater :laugh:
Maybe it is that lighter riders tend to be better climbers and W/kg is what counts there? A heavier rider concentrating on flatter TTs would be more interested in the Watts value since his/her weight wouldn't be that important?

CXRAndy

Guru
I'm going in to the new year with an FTP of 220 and weight of 106kg giving a ratio of a little over 2W/kg.

My goal for the year is to achieve 3W/kg by dropping my weight to 95kg and increasing FTP to 285W. This should be achievable with a bit of work, I just need to Try and work out what Zwift plan to start with that will allow me to commute daily without knackering myself too much :laugh:

Start by building a base in zone 2 for 8-16weeks. This will tune your aerobic engine to be as efficient as possible. Then move to something like Sweetspot training to further increase aerobic bit with muscular development of power. These can be added with increasing regularity until you feel fatigue creeping in, then drop the odd routine to keep fresh. After try adding HIIT to peak

JhnBssll

Veteran
Start by building a base in zone 2 for 8-16weeks. This will tune your aerobic engine to be as efficient as possible. Then move to something like Sweetspot training to further increase aerobic bit with muscular development of power. These can be added with increasing regularity until you feel fatigue creeping in, then drop the odd routine to keep fresh. After try adding HIIT to peak

So rather than just starting the ftp builder course again I'd be better off combining my commuting with 3 or 4 zone 2 foundation sessions a week until around March? That seems to make sense...

CXRAndy

Guru
So rather than just starting the ftp builder course again I'd be better off combining my commuting with 3 or 4 zone 2 foundation sessions a week until around March? That seems to make sense...

Do you use a HRM? Cycle in zone 2 hr until you find your HR settles and doesnt get any lower for the same duration exercise. If you do this on the road, you will notice that your speed will be faster for same HR or same speed for lower HR, if you get what I mean?

I found that the first few weeks in September, my HR would slowly climb towards the end of 1.5hr steady state ride. After 8 or so weeks I was upto 3.5hours and my HR was plateau-ing and had a lower average for the whole workout than the early workouts. I used these workouts to work on my cadence by sustained 95-100rpm for the whole workout. This also forces the body to rely on heart/lungs training.
At the end of November I had a cycle holiday in Tenerife, where I found the rides to be easier than ever before, all on tbe back of 3 months of zone 2 training.

Im now still doing base training, but with sweetspot level. My Watts are steadily climbing. I will continue these till March .I will finish this block in January, but will restart the block with slightly higher numbers. I have been adding a few extra Watts every 10 days to keep pushing my limit . At some point I'll hit a ceiling and then will do HIIT to peak for late spring going into summer

Last edited:
Top Bottom