2019 Structured training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
@Heltor Chasca here you go, an outline of my structured training plan for PBP 2019. Based on a successful but more compressed plan I did to build for a 1000km audax this year. Rest and test periods are in green, booked audax events in orange, and training phases in blue. The transition period is where I stop doing any structured training or measuring anything and chill for a bit. Usually lasts a minimum of 6-8 weeks after my last major event of a year. After the transition phase comes the preperation phase for whatever I am planning for 2020 etc. I then have a seperate document which contains the detail for each of the training phases. Finished putting it together just now.

Only 18 days till I can pay for my entry to PBP 2019.

PBP%201200%20plan.png

Last edited:

Nebulous

Guru
@Heltor Chasca here you go, an outline of my structured training plan for PBP 2019. Based on a successful but more compressed plan I did to build for a 1000km audax this year. Rest and test periods are in green, booked audax events in orange, and training phases in blue. The transition period is where I stop doing any structured training or measuring anything and chill for a bit. Usually lasts a minimum of 6-8 weeks after my last major event of a year. After the transition phase comes the preperation phase for whatever I am planning for 2020 etc. I then have a seperate document which contains the detail for each of the training phases. Finished putting it together just now.

Only 18 days till I can pay for my entry to PBP 2019.

View attachment 444907

That looks good - I wish my life was that structured. I'm doing a full set of PBP qualifiers, but not PBP. I don't have a qualifying BRM event from last year, so don't have any ability to pre-qualify.

Its funny that lighter riders probably use Watts/kg whilst bigger riders use Watts alone . I suppose its to do with each number is greater :laugh:

Im currently training to 320ftp level
I think realists use W/kg as that is a good comparator for all folks regardless of their weight. Sorry if teaching you to suck eggs but you can have an FTP of 300+w but if your too heavy it will drag and compare to a lighter rider with an FTP of only 255w (but the same W/kg) ie you both go the same speed :okay:

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
That looks good - I wish my life was that structured. I'm doing a full set of PBP qualifiers, but not PBP. I don't have a qualifying BRM event from last year, so don't have any ability to pre-qualify.

Keep your options open and if there are still places available for PBP when you are able to enter, then consider it. You don't know where your fitness, health and motivations will be in another four years.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

The structure is fairly easy but not rigid. Each training phase you have a priority for each type of session from high to low. If real life gets in a way one week then you drop the low priority sessions. Do not try and catch up missed sessions just carry on with the plan. If you have a significant gap then go back one phase etc.

There are four basic things I work on.

Aerobic capacity - ability to use oxygen as a fuel
Lactate threshold - speed and power at lactate threshold
Aerobic threshold - ability to use fat as primary fuel source
Strength and conditioning

Determine intensity and volume of each for each training phase together with its priority. Retest every so many weeks, include recovery and you are mostly there with your plans.

Something else also worth measuring is efficiency factor. Your average heart rate for a given circuit against the average power or speed. The lower your heart rate for a given power output / speed the more efficiently you are working at that level. Note this is personal don't compare to others just compare to your previous measures / tests.

Rigid plans are doomed to fail, so remain focused on your priorities each phase.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
I think realists use W/kg as that is a good comparator for all folks regardless of their weight. Sorry if teaching you to suck eggs but you can have an FTP of 300+w but if your too heavy it will drag and compare to a lighter rider with an FTP of only 255w (but the same W/kg) ie you both go the same speed :okay:

Yeah I know about W/kg lightweight riders. ive always been heavy set muscular build, so wont reach 80kg. best ive got is 90 .so have to accept tbe struggle of climbing and hope to win on the flatter course :smile:

CXRAndy

Guru
Extra day off due to sore throat appeared yesterday. Continuation of TrainerRoad started in (last) September.

My dream target is to get FTP 350 for spring

huwsparky

Über Member
Plan has kicked off!

A low doze of aerobic capacity intervals, follow by strength work this morning. Country walk to pub shortly.
What is aerobic capacity intervals? Or I should say, what does your session look like when doing this?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
What is aerobic capacity intervals? Or I should say, what does your session look like when doing this?

The intensity of the intervals is around my aerobic capacity. Another word for aerobic capacity is your vO2 max. On the bike you are talking about the intervals being at a level that you can maintain for a maximum of 5 mins. Your 5 minute power. During low dose the unterval length is 30 secons, followed by 30 sec recovery. The interval length and recovery length will change as I move to late base then build phases.

In short it targets your ability to use oxygen as a fuel. It raises your aerobic capacity towards your genetic potential. Faster for longer before you tire.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
If your sweet spot is 320w then you're at 350w for FTP. :wacko:

Dreams do come true!

No my Trainer Road ftp level is set at 320 so my sweetspot is around 285-300W for an hour to 1.5 hours I need to get to around 330W for 20min intervals repeatedly over 1.5 hours. That is going to be tough

Nebulous

Guru
Start by building a base in zone 2 for 8-16weeks. This will tune your aerobic engine to be as efficient as possible. Then move to something like Sweetspot training to further increase aerobic bit with muscular development of power. These can be added with increasing regularity until you feel fatigue creeping in, then drop the odd routine to keep fresh. After try adding HIIT to peak

What does base in zone 2 mean? Is that all you are allowed to do, or can you also do some harder sessions? Could you do mostly level 2, but do a race a week on zwift for instance?

Also does activity off the bike contribute anything? I do 3 miles a day walking dogs, twice that on holidays and weekends, so generally a minimum of 25 miles a week. Would that add anything to my base?

Sorry for all the questions!

Top Bottom