2020 - Spain and Portugal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobinS

Veteran
Well, after our 2019, 88 day tour - Year of the Headwinds, JanetS and I are working in Chamonix, and thinking about our Tour 2020. Thinking along the lines of ferry to/from Santander or Bilbao, and taking in western Spain and Portugal. As we don't finish work here until the third week in April, have to go home and check the house is still standing, visit grandchildren, and sort out our bikes we probably only want 65-75 days this year. Anyone any suggestions of good routes, good places to take in?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Well, after our 2019, 88 day tour - Year of the Headwinds, JanetS and I are working in Chamonix, and thinking about our Tour 2020. Thinking along the lines of ferry to/from Santander or Bilbao, and taking in western Spain and Portugal. As we don't finish work here until the third week in April, have to go home and check the house is still standing, visit grandchildren, and sort out our bikes we probably only want 65-75 days this year. Anyone any suggestions of good routes, good places to take in?

Both the coast and the mountains are glorious going west from Santander / Bilbao.

For a City overnighter Oviedo is beautiful.

For inspiration check out some of the many Camino routes ending in Santiago. There is one, for example, to/from Lisbon.

There are some amazing campsites in that area of Spain. Very densely packed, but with beautiful views and often fantastic restaurants.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Done the Camino Del Norte from Santander September 2018 and can’t praise it enough .

I think that's what I did (mainly) this Autumn just gone..
With a few inland excursions for variety.

Very scenic, and pretty sociable too, I made lots of friends along the way.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I rode some of whatever Eurovelo route crosses the Algarve a few years ago. Stunning country but expect the route to be a bit "British" (random gravel sections, missing signs, occasionally dumping you onto one-way roads against flow...) and progress not to be fast all the time - but, unlike Spain, you're not forced to wear stuff!

Somerset

About 4 yrs ago cycled the Caminoes from Lisbon. Though Portugal into Spain then France. Flew into Lisbon then got a ferry back. Kept mainly to road beside the paths but was able to secure cheap and good accommodation (took a tent etc as well) together with supporting cafes etc. It was a good trip well marked, varied terrain, historical and nice assortment of people. Would recommend.

Top Bottom