2020 Structured Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
@Dogtrousers TR offers a free trial period so you could do the ramp test and then drop it. I think I may have some codes somewhere. I’ll have a scratch around.

@Dogtrousers I have found them. I do have a couple. I would just need your 1st name, surname and email address and they will pass on a month. Obviously you can DM those.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
@Dogtrousers I have found them. I do have a couple. I would just need your 1st name, surname and email address and they will pass on a month. Obviously you can DM those.
Cheers but I want to educate myself about what a lot of these things mean before I take the plunge into signing up for anything. I have a free TACX Premium membership that I'm keeping on ice for this very reason (That gives me videos of hills I think, I'm not sure). So maybe in a few more months when all these acronyms and strange terms start making a bit more sense ...

Enigma2008

Über Member
See the comment from Andrew Coggan on the TT forum regardin FTP and the 'fitting' answer...

Here's Coggan's statement I've also provided a link to the full article if you're interested.

People make the mistake of focusing excessively on increasing their 20 min power, instead of focusing on what they really want to do, which is to...
increase their muscular metabolic fitness, i.e., their FTP.
Coggan TT forum​

Here's a synopsis of the answer from an article (link attatched)...,

Three Ways to Improve Functional Threshold Power
JUNE 20, 2014 · BY NATE WILSON

Functional Threshold Power (FTP) measures the effort one can sustain for one hour and is the single most crucial factor in performance. Determine FTP then use these three workouts to increase it.​

1. SUB-THRESHOLD/SWEET SPOT WORK
“Sweet Spot” = 83 to 97% of FTP. Steady state efforts, Sweet Spot is a balanced amount of intensity and volume. Ride without interruptions maintaining a steady effort.
Start with 3×8' at “sweet spot” with 4' easy. Build to 3×10' with 5' easy.

2. THRESHOLD CLIMBING WORK
To improve performance on long climbs do efforts at 100-110% of FTP on a sustained climb at quality power. Do them when fresh and piece out the intervals to stay under 60mins.
Start with 3×10' at 100-110% of FTP with 5' easy. Build to 3×15' at 100-105% of FTP with 8' easy.
The “gold standard” FTP workout is 2×20' at 100-105% of FTP with 10' easy .

3. FLAT LAND FTP WORK
FTP workouts should also be done on flats at 95+ rpm on the time trial bike.

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/three-ways-to-improve-functional-threshold-power/

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Christmas Day workouts completed. Did my low volume VO2 Max intervals. Feels about right but might just raise the level 5% next time to see if I can still finish them. Last did these type of intervals in April. Much work to be done , but we are on our way.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Do like riding in Spain in winter. Some of best drive behaviour around cyclists that you are likely to see.
This will be our third time odoing Calpe in February, will hold us in good stead for the Pyrenees later in the year. In the meantime it's on the spin bikes unless the weather gets better.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Ramp test followed by a half hour endurance effort. Only 2.5% less power even after felling and processing 2 cherry trees earlier in the day.

I’ve also decided on a different structure aimed more at long days in the saddle. Had tried some other stuff for the sake of variety but I dropped my average speed over very long rides. It’ll be interesting either way.

I've been doing my turbo sessions so far on my road bike but I really need to get round to re cabling my TT bike (I put 45deg extensionson it). This is supposed to be the peak in my post treatment neurotoxicity, so I'm just waiting to get a bit of feeling back in my fingertips before I do so. I really want to do it before my next FTP test on 6th Feb.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I've been doing my turbo sessions so far on my road bike but I really need to get round to re cabling my TT bike (I put 45deg extensionson it). This is supposed to be the peak in my post treatment neurotoxicity, so I'm just waiting to get a bit of feeling back in my fingertips before I do so. I really want to do it before my next FTP test on 6th Feb.

Yeah if you want to build power on the TT bike you need to do your turbo time on it. Train for power in the position you’ll be in.

Top Bottom