2021 LEJOG plans?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Forgive the new thread, it's not a direct question, just a musing really. I've loosely planned to do LEJOG in May 2021 for some time now, and even in May 2020 it looked nailed on that we'd be okay by then, but with the constant flux I'm starting to wonder.

I'm planning regardless, and I'm really coming up to the point where I need to book accommodation in the tricker spots, and this causes me to hesitate, and even to reconsider whether 2022 might be better.

Work is another factor, they had agreed 2 weeks time off for May when I brought it up initially but now the company is seeing May 2021 as the "phoenix from the flames" moment for them where everything should start to recover, and I'll now be needed to do some site visits for EU cities where our facilities didn't see use in 2020. That makes me wonder whether to bring it forward to April, (and of course that brings weather and prep into question a bit more, though not a killer).

So as I say, just a general musing really, and a wondering of what other 2021 Lejoggers might be thinking. Thanks for your thoughts!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
We were going to do May 2020 but obviously that got cancelled. We are planning on doing it May 2021

We've booked all our accommodation for two reasons:

1) There are some legs of the route where the accommodation is very limited and if it was already booked we would have had to do a major rerouting. All the accommodation is booked either on the basis that we can cancel and get refund with a couple of weeks' notice or they only take payment on the day so there is no financial risk for us.
2) Our view is that it is unlikely we will be in a lockdown that prevents us doing this in May 2021

Acadaca

Forgive the new thread, it's not a direct question, just a musing really. I've loosely planned to do LEJOG in May 2021 for some time now, and even in May 2020 it looked nailed on that we'd be okay by then, but with the constant flux I'm starting to wonder.

I'm planning regardless, and I'm really coming up to the point where I need to book accommodation in the tricker spots, and this causes me to hesitate, and even to reconsider whether 2022 might be better.

Work is another factor, they had agreed 2 weeks time off for May when I brought it up initially but now the company is seeing May 2021 as the "phoenix from the flames" moment for them where everything should start to recover, and I'll now be needed to do some site visits for EU cities where our facilities didn't see use in 2020. That makes me wonder whether to bring it forward to April, (and of course that brings weather and prep into question a bit more, though not a killer).

So as I say, just a general musing really, and a wondering of what other 2021 Lejoggers might be thinking. Thanks for your thoughts!
I am thinking of doing solo LEJOG next year for my 50th and am thinking of potentially April as I have other commitments in May.

I am also in the early stages of planning for a 2021 solo LEJOG to celebrate my 50th which is later thT year. I was also thinking of April due to commitments in May but slightly worried about the weather but on balance would still go for it and avoid the dreaded midges in Scotland I keep hearing about which apparently are at their worst after May.

mikeIow

Guru
I am planning a gentle LEJoG from early May this year....hopeful it will not get scuppered......I think by late March we will have a clearer view on things, & I am sure B&Bs etc will be flexible where needed.
My *guess* is that there may be some restrictions, but things should be “doable” by then....

2 pals of mine have been doing it in 3 parts, & their final Edin-JoG leg will be early June, so my plan is to go solo from LE to Edin - via home for a decent kip and washing - then join them for the last part.
Slightly complicated by my daughters delayed graduation is now also due to be happening in May, so my LE-Edin leg will be a bit broken up :wacko:

Mine is also partly to celebrate stepping down from work (drifting into some form of retirement, or something!), so a bit of a personal challenge/adventure/detox journey....
I’ve booked the first couple of nights - SWMBO will get me & gear to LE and stay the first couple of nights - but I also plan to take a tent and camp a bit. Might regret that once my bike is loaded up :laugh:

Must figure out an easy way to blog it....& will need to get a bit fitter....but it’s too cold for me to cycle must this month :bicycle:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A friend of mine was planning LEJOG for last year, but had to postpone like most folk. He's hoping to do it this year, staying at B&B's.
I suggested to him that he books up accommodation, especially for the first couple of nights in the South West, and certainly for Scotland as places are few and far between.
With lots of riders having postponed their challenge, overnight stops will soon get booked.
I did my 1,100 mile LEJOG in 14 days in 2019 when I was 66½. If I'd have had to wait until this year, I'd be 68½ and doubt I could have kept up the daily distances that I managed then..

Brandane

Legendary Member
Giving this some thought, but since I've already covered the route from Carlisle to JOG, I would be doing LEJOG lite and finishing at Carlisle.
Nothing planned at the moment, as things stand I can't rely on restrictions being lifted, but hoping to do it April/May time.
I have the book by Nick Mitchell and would follow his route, probably the same daily distances too, meaning 9 days riding to Carlisle.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Giving this some thought, but since I've already covered the route from Carlisle to JOG, I would be doing LEJOG lite and finishing at Carlisle.
Nothing planned at the moment, as things stand I can't rely on restrictions being lifted, but hoping to do it April/May time.
I have the book by Nick Mitchell and would follow his route, probably the same daily distances too, meaning 9 days riding to Carlisle.

There isn’t a fixed route. Why not do an alternate route for the most northern bit?. You could of course do a jogle. Different views going south etc.

Brandane

Legendary Member
There isn’t a fixed route. Why not do an alternate route for the most northern bit?. You could of course do a jogle. Different views going south etc.
As I say, early days so nothing set in stone. I have looked at different routes, all with pros and cons, and Mitchell's looks as good as any. It goes through Looe, a place I like, so that's a bonus. Don't fancy JOGLE, for the basic reason that if I start at LE then I am homeward bound for the whole trip. A psychological assistance!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Having said all that, his route from Glasgow to Inverness is certainly NOT the route I would choose. Cycling up Loch Lomond from Tarbet to Crianlarich; no thanks! My route was Glasgow, Stirling, Pitlochry, Aviemore, Inverness. More direct and far nicer roads.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

I did a bit of island hopping on mine..
If the gpx is of any use, let me know.

mikeIow

Guru
Ahh, I will be going more east coast, but thx for the offer!
Progress is steady....the pals I will join from Edinburgh have booked everything for that final leg to JoG :okay:
& most importantly....I’ve handed in my notice at work :angel:
Yes, by May, I will be a “free man“, left to agonise for years over whether it is a takeaway or gruel :wacko:, but at least free to fettle & pedal (SWMBO-permitting!) :becool:
The training is....currently about zero: far to cold/icy/snowy (yeah, I should hand in my CycleChat badge, I know....)....some walking and indoor rowing mostly....will pick things up when the temperature moves in the same direction :laugh:

Top Bottom