LEgentleJOG 2021.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeIow

Guru
I am considering taking this on as an adventure for next May.
Read @taximan's fine story....good tales. Currently working on whether a mate or two might want to join me.
I'm not super-fit, but have done Lon2Bri a few times over the years. I feel 40-60 miles a day ought to be within my grasp, I would hope :blush:
Rather enjoying the leisurely pace shown by Andy here - not sure if he is on here, but I suspect his broad route might be a good starting point for me - I could potentially have a rest day or two in Leicester en route & freshly clean kit, so a ride of two halves perhaps! His website has a stack of useful info (& I know there are many others too).

A few early questions (there will be hundreds more, I am sure!) if anyone fancies chipping in. I'm sure some answers are elsewhere, but thought I would start off here.
I have a Trek 7.6FX hybrid bike, which I think with some mods ought to be up to the task.
Did London to Paris 5 years back, but that was with MrsMikeIOW as backup, so no heavy gear carrying.
I quite like camping, & have a daft idea that taking a tent/sleeping bag/mat might give me more options than trying to pre-book 20+ B&Bs (as well as keeping costs down), at the cost of an extra 5-8 kilos....got a 3kg tent & light down bag, so kind of set okay.

1. Anyone else just pre-booked their way through fine, or is B&B+camping a decent medium?
2. Tyres/wheels: the trek is a decent bike, but with the 700 x 25 tyres in need of replacing anyway, I am considering whether to look at beefier wheels - I think I can probably go to 28 tyres on the Bontrager wheels as they are (no identifying things to tell me, not sure how I would know other than head to my LBS or Evans?), but would 35 tyres on sturdier wheels be better for a fully loaded up bike?
3. I think I would prefer a disc rear brake too - no idea about retro-fitting that, but if I got new wheels that could perhaps be included.
4. I've seen articles on front wheels with charging capabilities.....that could be handy on a modified touring bike, I am sure, especially if camping: any thoughts on those would be good to hear!
5. Anyone used a kindle as a backup 'road map' (as well as evening reading matter!)? I know it is B&W, but small, light, charge would last a month - seems a sensible idea, perhaps even for daily route plans?
6. I'm too old for drop bars....but considering butterfly bars as well - more space for varied hand positions & perhaps devices to hand. That said, I've never used one: anyone recommend them here?
6. Toe clips. I've used these since childhood. Never used SPDs etc. Should I just stick with the known, or consider changing & dragging myself into the modern day technology?

That'll do for now, I'm probably getting ahead of myself with some of this :laugh:
Cheers

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'll be doing the same thing at the same time, maybe see you at the start! 😄
I'll be B+B all the way and yes I'm pre booking... there are many that say to do it that way, but there are equally many people (look at the journals on end to end and on here) who have turned up on spec and almost always found somewhere. I don't necessarily like my inflexible approach because of potential injury or mechanicals, but there are cons to the other options too so that's the way I'm going to plan.

I've got 35mm tyres and strong wheels but I'd do it on narrower road wheels too, just check on the strength / spoke count of your wheels, and it will depend on your all up weight and whether you might even do some off road at times. People do it on road bike wheels plus camping kit.

Braking.. there are a lot of descents which coupled with the weight will hammer your brakes so that is a critical area. Discs are arguably best, especially in the wet, but that might be quite a big mod. I'm not even sure if the FX will take a caliper, a mechanic can advise. People do it all the time on rim brakes, but maybe check your rim wear beforehand, and take spare blocks.

Shoes... anything will do. I'm a clipless / cleats person on a road bike normally but for touring I like a flat pedal and street shoes / hiking shoes, just for simplicity and flexibility. It's purely personal preference and you don't need to go clipless.

Power for devices is a challenge for campers isn't it... (one of the reasons I'm going B+B), but it's not insurmountable with a dynamo. More experienced cycle campers are better advising on that.

Last edited:

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Next May is probably a sensible timescale, given current circumstances, and leaves plenty of time to enjoy planning and prep.
I'll begin with the one at the top. It is possible to book your accommodation all the way through - I did so with a buddy on a steady 17 day version - but it leaves little wiggle room. If you had a mechanical, an injury or foul weather day, there's no option to take a time out. Camping allows a little more flexibility in that regard, or (if you have internet connectivity en route) you could try booking a couple of days in advance. Bit risky in that there may be no vacancies where you need them, but if you have your camping gear as backup ...

I've done JoGLE without pre-booking, which worked out for the most part, but one night I failed to find anywhere to stay and ended up sleeping rough in Exeter, which was grim. (This was before the era of smartphones, so I was unable to book on the hoof.)

Carrying your own accommodation offers so much more flexibility and lowers costs, but given the ubiquity of smartphones and accommodation middle-man websites, it's trivially easy to book in somewhere on the same day (though I will add that some places on LeJOG are very remote and subject to tourist surges - you will not find a room along the NC500 without booking in advance.)

OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
Rough sleeping sounds...rough!
As a 16 year old, *many* years ago, 3 pals & I did Offa's Dyke, from north to south Wales.
Near the end we hadn't found a campsite, so decided to loiter in a pub (we looked older ;-) until closing time, then pop our tents up on the green opposite.
Landlord clearly sussed out something was up....had a chat....and we popped them in his garden instead, with his wife bringing us hot chocolate!
Sometimes things just work out okay!
I do wonder if a bivvy bag and tiny sleeping bag could be enough for emergencies!
Thanks for the comments so far. What I *really* need to do is get on my bike and get some miles under the belt in this nice weather!

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Re Q2.
This discussion elsewhere on the Touring thread should prove helpful in setting out most of the issues. I recently made up a dynamo wheel (Rigida Sputnik 36 hole rim, SP PV8 Dynamo) to replace or supplement my solar 2-panel charging system. In ideal conditions - which you would be unlikely to get in the UK - the panels produce enough energy to recharge my Garmin after a day's use, plus a little bit extra for other devices. I always charge a power bank and use that to charge the devices.

Unfortunately, things being as they are, I haven't been on tour to test my new dynamo system in anger. I know it runs a front light and charges a power bank, but I'll only find out how effective it is when I'm once more able to do some actual touring days and using/generating real-world energy amounts. I'm optimistic though ... at least about charging, if not about being able to get on tour!

If you build accommodation like b&bs every few days into your mix, because you'd be able to charge up a decent power bank, that would probably serve your needs ... unless you were navigating with a very power-hungry smartphone that is.

Re Q2.
This discussion elsewhere on the Touring thread should prove helpful in setting out most of the issues. I recently made up a dynamo wheel (Rigida Sputnik 36 hole rim, SP PV8 Dynamo) to replace or supplement my solar 2-panel charging system. In ideal conditions - which you would be unlikely to get in the UK - the panels produce enough energy to recharge my Garmin after a day's use, plus a little bit extra for other devices. I always charge a power bank and use that to charge the devices.

Unfortunately, things being as they are, I haven't been on tour to test my new dynamo system in anger. I know it runs a front light and charges a power bank, but I'll only find out how effective it is when I'm once more able to do some actual touring days and using/generating real-world energy amounts. I'm optimistic though ... at least about charging, if not about being able to get on tour!

If you build accommodation like b&bs every few days into your mix, because you'd be able to charge up a decent power bank, that would probably serve your needs ... unless you were navigating with a very power-hungry smartphone that is.
I used a dynamo on tour (Alfine DH-S501) and while on its own it wasn't able to generate enough charge to stop the phone from draining while using google maps to navigate, it did slow the rate of decrease significantly. Supplementing it with a battery bank that you top up in cafes etc gives you several days effective range.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
3. I think I would prefer a disc rear brake too - no idea about retro-fitting that, but if I got new wheels that could perhaps be included.
I've yet to drag myself into the disc era, but from what I understand you would be able to get a wheel with disc-compatible hub, however, it might be the case that your frame lacks the mounts for the calipers. An adaptor is one possibility ...

View: https://youtu.be/emW7M-ZD0Pw

I've yet to drag myself into the disc era, but from what I understand you would be able to get a wheel with disc-compatible hub, however, it might be the case that your frame lacks the mounts for the calipers. An adaptor is one possibility ...

View: https://youtu.be/emW7M-ZD0Pw

If no disc mounts, new front forks would be needed as a minimum. You might be able to get away with an adapter on the rear, but non-disc forks are not engineered to withstand the braking forces.

snorri

Legendary Member
Just a few points from my own experiences. My bike was a hybrid, a Raleigh Pioneer Jaguar,with the standard wheels and tyres, flat bars and flat pedals(no clips, no cleats) between 15th April and 3rd of May, so outwith the main tourist season. I looked for a B&B as the afternoon wore on, no advance booking, I had no 'phone so knocked on doors or asked locally. I used OS Travelmaster maps, but these are no longer available. I cycled for 18 days averaging 54 miles per cycling day and averaging 7 hours 40 mins on the road each day, this included times for rest, refreshment and conversing with the natives along the way. Take a little notebook, A6 size perhaps, it's good to have a trip diary to read long after the trip is over.
Friendly warning, completion of this trip could be life changing as it will give you confidence to tour further afield bringing places like Berlin, Vienna, Oslo, Copenhagen into your 'I could do that distance' range^_^.

OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
Excellent tale, snorri! That does sound my kind of thing....but I still wonder about a bit of camping as an option....
Conversing with the natives eh - taking your life in your hands there :laugh:

Yeah, a small battery bank would probably be sufficient. If a little extra weight!

The disc thing....looks complex - maybe just some new pads on my rim brakes :okay:

Probs need some new tyres. Currently on 700 x 25 on the standard Bontrager wheels. Wonder if 28 would make a bit more sense (& fit!) - the 25's are very....narrow.....but then again, that make for lower rolling resistance, I know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
Well, a pal of a pal has given the Trek a bit of a service - new BB, new freewheel hub, new pads - all sounds (& stops!) a lot smoother now!
I put some Schwalbe Marathon+ 700 x 28 tyres on - clearly a fair bit heavier, but a lot more 'solid' looking than the balding Bontrager originals....& pretty decent on the road.
Couple of 40-50mile runs since, seems okay (by my slow standards!):thumbsup:
Less so me: now my left ankle hurts (always had dodgy ankles)....might have overdone it a shade:eek:

Using cycle.travel as a fantastic resource for working out slow, quiet, not too hilly routes (thanks to the creator of that!)...more planning work ahead!

OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
A bit of a planning update....I had a R2W voucher since April (had to use Evans Cycles).....originally planned to get a fun mountain bike, unrelated to this adventure....
....which I then learned was not going to arrive, so I snapped up a newer hybrid - a Specialized Sirrus X3 :okay:

Actually a smidgeon heavier than the Trek, but same gear range, single front cog (less to break!) & disc brakes (taking me into the model era!). Voucher allowed me to get some Ortlieb panniers/rack/mudguards....I've popped some smoother Schwalbe Marathon tyres on (ones supplied a bit off-road chunky)
Treated it to some Ergon GP5 grips, swapped my old pedals+toe-clips across, and this will be my Steed of Choice!
:bicycle:
Also booked a few places for the first 3 nights (plus the Jamaica Inn for on the way down to the start - SWMBO will support me for the first few days!).
Finally....invested in the Wahoo Elemnt Roam, which looks like a very impressive nav device (& cycle computer), from my first few rides.
Still working on the route, but first 3 days are sorted....& from what I read & hear, those are the toughest :blink:

Strangely, all this shiny stuff doesn't seem to make me any faster, but maybe by June next year I'll be a lean, mean cycling machine :laugh:

So....just need to be out of the LockDown Tiers & things opening up by then 🤞 :whistle:

Top Bottom