LEgentleJOG 2021.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
PHEW!

OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
Quick update before I collapse!

84 miles today, from Bourton to home (I have a 2 day break, & set off again on Weds). Several pals joined in at various points from start to finish, which was great fun. My longest ride ever!
Fairly tired, & my backside/knees/ankle will all enjoy a little rest. Be nice if the weather could give it a rest for the next 2-3 weeks too :laugh:

Another massive shout-out to @Richard Fairhurst - the cycle.travel website created a brilliant route for me: avoiding all major roads (crossed a few): some superbly scenic rides through many beautiful villages: great use of off-road tracks & paths; very quiet roads almost throughout, & as a bonus, my Wahoo Roam performed impeccably, & still had 50% battery even after today’s epic 84-miler, after being on for an elapsed 10 hours!

Five times I was met with totally blocked roads/paths (waterworks companies the biggest guilty offender!), so some re-routing needed: mostly using the Wahoo (zoom out and figure a way), once using Google maps to clarify.

More on my Instagram...& thanks if any of you have donated to the mountain rescue (some anonymous ones in there) - it is very much appreciated!

I have opened a thread on this in the Mechanics and Repairs sub-forum.
Note that the Recall Notice from Specialized was in early October and was for bikes sold 2018 up to Jun 2020.
Here: https://considertheconsumer.com/recalls/sirrus-bicycle-recall
Note OP bought bike in late November and had it serviced by the seller (Evans) recently.
I'd be more interested to know what the mechanism is for failure. The recall says "According to the company, the cranks may not have been installed to factory specification." Isn't the left crank: shove it on the splines and tighten the bolt to the correct torque?

I’ll try to look more at that later.
According to a verbal conversation I had with Evans Service Manager, the “solution” was to use some industrial strength locking ‘glue’ to virtually weld the crank in.....to the extent that should you need to remove it, you would literally need a blow-torch :laugh:
Even as he described it, I could tell he was not impressed at all. Their recall notice I linked earlier suggested they would post an update later...but I can find NOTHING.
Evans fella also said, off the record (so maybe I made this up!) that a proper solution might be to replace the crankset with a Shimano one....welcome any thoughts here!

The one who repaired it and got me on my way said the Spesh advice was to torque to 8-12nm, so he had done it to 15. He did not have the full-strength locking stuff, and also did point out it would normally be left to ‘go off’, which clearly I could not do. I’ve done around 150miles since, and checked it a couple of times & it does seem solid now.

Not too sure how to get a long sensible resolution to this.
Also a little nervous about doing the rest of my LEJoG on it, or whether to revert to my older Trek. No guarantees that won’t have a problem - I haven’t used it in anger for many months now!

robgul

Legendary Member
Quick update before I collapse!

84 miles today, from Bourton to home (I have a 2 day break, & set off again on Weds). Several pals joined in at various points from start to finish, which was great fun. My longest ride ever!
Fairly tired, & my backside/knees/ankle will all enjoy a little rest. Be nice if the weather could give it a rest for the next 2-3 weeks too :laugh:

Another massive shout-out to @Richard Fairhurst - the cycle.travel website created a brilliant route for me: avoiding all major roads (crossed a few): some superbly scenic rides through many beautiful villages: great use of off-road tracks & paths; very quiet roads almost throughout, & as a bonus, my Wahoo Roam performed impeccably, & still had 50% battery even after today’s epic 84-miler, after being on for an elapsed 10 hours!

Five times I was met with totally blocked roads/paths (waterworks companies the biggest guilty offender!), so some re-routing needed: mostly using the Wahoo (zoom out and figure a way), once using Google maps to clarify.

More on my Instagram...& thanks if any of you have donated to the mountain rescue (some anonymous ones in there) - it is very much appreciated!

I’ll try to look more at that later.
According to a verbal conversation I had with Evans Service Manager, the “solution” was to use some industrial strength locking ‘glue’ to virtually weld the crank in.....to the extent that should you need to remove it, you would literally need a blow-torch :laugh:
Even as he described it, I could tell he was not impressed at all. Their recall notice I linked earlier suggested they would post an update later...but I can find NOTHING.
Evans fella also said, off the record (so maybe I made this up!) that a proper solution might be to replace the crankset with a Shimano one....welcome any thoughts here!

The one who repaired it and got me on my way said the Spesh advice was to torque to 8-12nm, so he had done it to 15. He did not have the full-strength locking stuff, and also did point out it would normally be left to ‘go off’, which clearly I could not do. I’ve done around 150miles since, and checked it a couple of times & it does seem solid now.

Not too sure how to get a long sensible resolution to this.
Also a little nervous about doing the rest of my LEJoG on it, or whether to revert to my older Trek. No guarantees that won’t have a problem - I haven’t used it in anger for many months now!

The "gluing it on soluton (!) cannot be correct, or safe. If you post the make/model of the offending crankset/bottom bracket I'll have a look at the official specs for it (I still have access to the tech stuff for quite a few manufacturers)

Yay! Really glad to hear it.

acuna_read

The "gluing it on soluton (!) cannot be correct, or safe. If you post the make/model of the offending crankset/bottom bracket I'll have a look at the official specs for it (I still have access to the tech stuff for quite a few manufacturers)
Had a look at the Sirrus a while ago and believe it had a non-descript crank/chainset on. Agree it sounds pretty poor as a long term solution to glue and I would be approaching specialized/Evans for a suitable long term replacement of a Shimano or SRAM item.

OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
Had a look at the Sirrus a while ago and believe it had a non-descript crank/chainset on. Agree it sounds pretty poor as a long term solution to glue and I would be approaching specialized/Evans for a suitable long term replacement of a Shimano or SRAM item.
It is their own item.....I’ve simply not had time these two days to get in to them to discuss, so one for post JoG....assuming it gets me there :eek:

Off again tomorrow....with a bit more kit on the bike :wacko:

OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
4 weeks to lift off. All our ride chats are now about kit lists, speed expectations, cafe stops, whether to pre-book evening meals etc etc

Full test run next weekend...100 miles Saturday, 80 miles Sunday with all the kit to see how it goes (we are all touring novices so it seemed a good idea to make sure our bikepacking actually works). Weekly mileage has been cranked up and feeling a bit fitter. Routes sorted, accomodation sorted. We've assigned days to each individual to be responsible for organising cafe stops, dinner choice etc

4 weeks to lift off. All our ride chats are now about kit lists, speed expectations, cafe stops, whether to pre-book evening meals etc etc

Full test run next weekend...100 miles Saturday, 80 miles Sunday with all the kit to see how it goes (we are all touring novices so it seemed a good idea to make sure our bikepacking actually works). Weekly mileage has been cranked up and feeling a bit fitter. Routes sorted, accomodation sorted. We've assigned days to each individual to be responsible for organising cafe stops, dinner choice etc

Aren't you riding all the way back home then ;)
Are your tests rides planned in the same manner, so you can test the routing method?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Aren't you riding all the way back home then ;)
Are your tests rides planned in the same manner, so you can test the routing method?
Two separate loops out and home, one Saturday, one Sunday. Having a night away is a bit much given we have LEJOG coming up. Yes, trial run and ride proper all done on RideWithGPS and GPS devices for routing on the ride itself. Idea is to replicate as much as possible the actual LEJOG routine (leave 9am, lunch stop, afternoon snack stop) to see how the pacing works out and see how the bike is with various bikepacking stuff attached. None of us have ever done any touring before so it seemed like a good idea to at least test the packing and get a feel for two consecutive days

Two separate loops out and home, one Saturday, one Sunday. Having a night away is a bit much given we have LEJOG coming up. Yes, trial run and ride proper all done on RideWithGPS and GPS devices for routing on the ride itself. Idea is to replicate as much as possible the actual LEJOG routine (leave 9am, lunch stop, afternoon snack stop) to see how the pacing works out and see how the bike is with various bikepacking stuff attached. None of us have ever done any touring before so it seemed like a good idea to at least test the packing and get a feel for two consecutive days
Elevenses too I'd hope!

OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
Well, I had mates for a couple of days from Leicester to Settle, but I’m solo up in Lockerbie now, with a big (for me!) day over the top to Edinburgh planned for the morning.

The weather today was a massive contrast to Cornwall: very hot today, but a shorter ride.
75 miles from Settle to Caldbeck yesterday: first part through Ribblehead was beautiful….then my lack of sleep (first camp, bit noisy!) hit me, & the last 45 were a struggle. Hoping to manage energy better tomorrow….nibble more snacks…

Bolt at bottom of pannier frame to bike one side appears to have sheered off (not surprising, given some of the roads/tracks/trails!). Zip tie holding it tight, & since that has no actual weight attached, I’ll leave it at that….

Having fun….wouldn’t mind some cooler weather though!

OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
Yesterday was a long day, in beautiful weather (hot, but breezy), over some tops into Edinburgh.
Left Lockerbie at 07:30 after a hearty breakfast. A flat start for 15 miles, then climbing through the Scottish Borders. A nice break at the Glen Cafe, St Mary’s Loch, & then onwards.
Beautiful scenery, & not much traffic about: I saw more bikes than cars!
The run into Edinburgh wasn’t quite so glamorous…”Route 1” was a fairly busy road, spent some time on the pavement following the lead of another cyclist…

Then my only failure so far….I was so blasé, since I knew where my son lived, that I had popped Foresters Road instead of Forrest Road in….got within 0.6 mile before I realised: checked google, found I was 4 miles out: doh! :rolleyes:

Still, it meant my day ended at 84 miles: furthest I’ve ever ridden!
After the much-needed shower and change, with washing all on, we had a nice beer in town, and a fabulous pizza at Pizza Posto - small place run by Italians and with a mostly Italian clientele from what we would see!

Couple of days to rest before my pals come up on Weds, ready for a Thursday assault on the Last Leg!
I can also ditch some of my kit (no more camping - although I really enjoyed the two nights I did!)

albal

Guru
Think I was in settle similar time as you. I camped at austwick. Beautiful ride over the top down through sedburgh. Onto Penrith and Carlisle on sustrans route. Can't remember the number.
Just left Edinburgh on train to commence Jogle later this afternoon. Rode to Edinburgh as a shakedown ride.

Top Bottom