205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I guess if you are mad enough to dedicate 20 hours a day for whole year rding your bike and nowt else, then you might as well see a bit (well a lot) of the UK in the process.
Totally, I've had some fantastic audaxing advenures, but the idea of riding around richmond park 10 or 20 or 120 times fills me with a mixture of horror and ennui.

I could imagine (just) doing his challenge, but doing the same ride over and over? No.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
He's going to ride longer in the summer, shorter in the winter.

He wants to follow the weather a bit, which may include trugging north when it's too ruddy hot where he lives, which it could be.

He wants to fit Paris Brest Paris into his busy schedule.

All the above mitigate against 365 identical days starting from home, although he plans to return home regularly, perhaps once or twice a week.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The biog is worth a read, for its dry wit. My favourite bit:
http://www.oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/biog
This series of 800 and 200km rides began 4 days after a 600km ride, which was the day after a 200km ride, which was the day after Paris-Brest-Paris.

I vaguely followed his 405 points in a year crack on ACF, where he posted as Teethgrinder.

RedRider

Pulling through
Steve's got a good team behind him now. Raleigh are providing bikes,
Neat link to Tommy Godwin, pictured here with his Raleigh Record Ace and sponsors:
thumbs_tommy-godwin-raleigh_0.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
"Tommy would be the first one to shake your hand, if you succeed
But we wish you the very best of luck Barbara Ford and Colin Godwin .......Tommys son and daughter."

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yep, he's doing well considering how windy it is. Keeping up a 15+mph avg.

DanZac

Really hope this guy does it. For a sporting record to have stood for so long in the face of modern advancements shows how much of an amazing feat the original distance is.
I can't think of many more difficult endurance efforts, I suspect that even a marathon a day would be easier due to the longer recovery time available each day.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
This will be an extraordinary achievement! Most of us have never ridden 205 miles in one day, let alone every day!

Top Bottom