21/10/13 - female cyclist down in Camden - Tipper lorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I maybe wrong however I believe it to be a cement delivery firms that I shall be referring to.

From recollection

A mother following the death of her daughter cyclist by a HGV vehicle in the London area purchased shares in the company to permit her to attend the Annual General Meeting (AGM). During the AGM she stood up and told the attendees' her story and how her daughter was killed by one of their firms delivery vehicles (HGV) whilst the lorry was undertaking a left turn.

The directors' acknowledged the consequences of one of their vehicles' errors upon this mother and her family. The effort this mother took to highlight the issue, to the firm. The issues were surrounding the lack of visibility cyclists posed to the HGV driver when in close proximity to HGV vehicles. The firm invested in training their drivers and fitted additional mirrors to the fleet of delivery vehicles.

Sorry to interrupt and reply so late after your initial posting.
you're exactly right. Cemex have shown what can, and should be done. At the other end of the scale there's Thames Materials.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
And how do you think that the drivers of these companies and organisations have reached this high level of awareness towards cyclists? Because people like Buggi have kept on campaigning to get them trained and to give training to their staff so that all cyclists and other vulnerable road users will be a lot safer on the roads. Instead of being so critical and dismissive of Buggi why are you not grateful that there are people out there who are prepared to give up their time to educate and inform drivers and cyclists of such dangers so the roads are safer for everyone including you to use meaning fewer cyclists are killed or seriously injured. What is your input to reducing the high incidence of cyclists being in collision with large vehicles resulting in serious or fatal injuries to cyclists?
no. Lots of people campaign to get them trained (since 2006 since you didn't ask), and I'd count myself amongst them. Other people write risk assessments designed to reduce the risk to pedestrians and cyclists and I'd count myself among them too. Some people stand up in front of cyclists at the beginning of rides and tell them that they shouldn't be undertaking (that would be me).

Buggi, on the other hand, knowing nothing, wants to get a day ticket to come and tell us where we're going wrong.

buggi

Bird Saviour
so - to recap

a woman is hit by a truck. There's a mix of circumstances, but it appears that she did not undertake. Notwithstanding this, another person, knowing nothing about the circumstances of cyclists' deaths in London, or that it is the safest place to cycle in the UK, declares that she will come 120 miles south to tell people what not to do.

At the very least it'll be entertaining. If brief. Just let us know.
while I'm there i might arrange some FNRttC!

buggi

Bird Saviour
so - to recap

a woman is hit by a truck. There's a mix of circumstances, but it appears that she did not undertake. Notwithstanding this, another person, knowing nothing about the circumstances of cyclists' deaths in London, or that it is the safest place to cycle in the UK, declares that she will come 120 miles south to tell people what not to do.

At the very least it'll be entertaining. If brief. Just let us know.
No.. To recap a woman is hit by a lorry bcoz the lorry driver pulled wide to make a left turn and the woman was hit bcoz, according to witnesses she was overtaking and the driver didn't see her, to which i suggested that as the dangers of a driver not seeing you if you are under or overtaking doesn't seem to be getting through to some cyclists, perhaps we as a community could do more, with a suggestion of educating them ourselves as the authorities are clearly doing a shoot job all round. I never once suggested it was her fault, i suggested that some cyclists would not anticipate this danger and questioned why. I'm surprised you haven't written me another abusive pm, like the last time i dared say something you didn't like. How is that patent application going by the way???

buggi

Bird Saviour
no. Lots of people campaign to get them trained (since 2006 since you didn't ask), and I'd count myself amongst them. Other people write risk assessments designed to reduce the risk to pedestrians and cyclists and I'd count myself among them too. Some people stand up in front of cyclists at the beginning of rides and tell them that they shouldn't be undertaking (that would be me).

Buggi, on the other hand, knowing nothing, wants to get a day ticket to come and tell us where we're going wrong.
no that's just your interpretation of it. Perhaps your not doing a very good job of it then

buggi

Bird Saviour
2734806 said:
Getting a little unpleasant now.
isn't it!! May i remind you that your and dellzegg are the ones that jumped down my neck for wanting to educate the cyclists who are not getting this message, yet dellzegg admits he tells cyclists this himself before every ride?

Dan B

Disengaged member
isn't it!! May i remind you that your and dellzegg are the ones that jumped down my neck for wanting to educate the cyclists who are not getting this message, yet dellzegg admits he tells cyclists this himself before every ride?
I don't believe that either of them have suggested you should get yourself killed by a lorry, though

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
and guess what? People listen to me because I put things in some kind of context and they reckon I know what I'm on about. Like they respect Adrian because he sets an example and goes out of his way to help people. And then again, I listen to people like Titus and Olaf because they know more about this stuff than I do, and because they, like Adrian think and speak clearly

now you can come down to the Great Wen and stand by the side of the road and tell people what to do. I reckon Borough High Street or The Strand might good. I'm sure you'll have a great time. But, for the umpteenth time - undertaking is not a big deal if you're undertaking buses. Undertaking tipper trucks is dumb, but the fact is that people get killed by tipper trucks when the truck comes up behind them, whether turning or not. So, once again, work out where the risk is...

buggi

Bird Saviour
and guess what? People listen to me because I put things in some kind of context and they reckon I know what I'm on about. Like they respect Adrian because he sets an example and goes out of his way to help people. And then again, I listen to people like Titus and Olaf because they know more about this stuff than I do, and because they, like Adrian think and speak clearly

now you can come down to the Great Wen and stand by the side of the road and tell people what to do. I reckon Borough High Street or The Strand might good. I'm sure you'll have a great time. But, for the umpteenth time - undertaking is not a big deal if you're undertaking buses. Undertaking tipper trucks is dumb, but the fact is that people get killed by tipper trucks when the truck comes up behind them, whether turning or not. So, once again, work out where the risk is...
so you're now saying people that do this are dumb?? Which is exactly what you're accusing me of? I'm fully aware of the risk of trucks coming up behind but there is little a cyclist can do about that, we're discussing the cyclists who choose to ride up the side of lorries, who some of which don't know the dangers. I don't think they are all dumb, i think they are uneducated. Which is my whole point.

buggi

Bird Saviour
[QUOTE 2734989, member: 9609"]Can't believe the way buggii has been picked on in this thread - ffs she's on our side.[/quote]
thank you

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
so you're now saying people that do this are dumb?? Which is exactly what you're accusing me of? I'm fully aware of the risk of trucks coming up behind but there is little a cyclist can do about that, we're discussing the cyclists who choose to ride up the side of lorries, who some of which don't know the dangers. I don't think they are all dumb, i think they are uneducated. Which is my whole point.
I said undertaking was dumb pages ago, but dumb doesn't equate to risk. My point is that the risk does not lie with the actions of the cyclists, but with the type of vehicle, and that the false analysis of the risk by people like you is ignorant.

And, actually, there is a great deal you can do if you hear a truck coming up behind, starting with looking over your shoulder and checking out the truck. I've been riding around London for 45 years, and there's not a lot that scares me, but if I see a tipper truck or a skip lorry behind me then I head for safety.

So - get your awayday, bring your soapbox and see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom