21st September - a midnight excursion from London Village to Southsea.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Why would you need a hotel anyway? No problems getting trains, you'll be minutes from two mainline stations...

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Eh? After the Hell of the North?

Oh I see ... you're checking the hills will be challenging enough now ^_^. Carry on.
The provisional route I suggested to Simon for what then became the FNRttC Emsworth is here...most of the route is unlikely to change much, but there are a few options south of Petersfield so that might be a little different. There is a lot of climbing but it's rolling terrain rather than Beacon-sized lumps, and even the worst section just either side of Haslemere, with a few grindy bits, shouldn't put anyone off. Maximum gradient's about 8%.
By comparison, Hell Heaven of the North had nearly 4k feet of climbing in 60 miles. This will be no bother if you were OK on that...

wanda2010

Guru
Thanks for the responses.

Wanda, the route is pretty flat down to the Guildford area (apart from Richmond Park) but then enters the downlands so there are lumps from until about 14 miles from the flat/downhill run to the finish.

H

TMN - after LonJog, I still hate hills with a passion but will now give them a go purely on the basis that I can always walk a few yards if need be. New granny ring will be on the Trek in time for next year's Tour ^_^.

Hummers. In please.

OP
OP
H

Hummers

......most of the route is unlikely to change much, but there are a few options south of Petersfield so that might be a little different.

The proposed route south of Petersfield will be down to Buriton, Rowlands Castle, Havant, Hayling Island, across on the ferry (service should start at 7:30) to Eastney and a final leg around the seafront to the cafe in Southsea. There's only one climb (Kiln Lane out of Buriton) but that is pretty short and after that, it is a superb run; down hill or flat pretty much all the way in.

I can't think of a better run in to Pompey (by land).

H

P.S. The nearest train station is about a mile or two away (Portsmouth Harbour).

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Hmmm. Er, well, seeing the company I shall be with, and with Hummers in charge, I think I would like to join this please. I may have to work so that would involve pulling out. But at the moment, I am in.

OP
OP
H

Hummers

Indeed it is.

I have confirmed (with the owner) that they will open for us at 8am providing there are enough riders (15+) on the event.

H

Top Bottom